Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caraniel)
    I have two 24hr Crunchyroll Guest Passes available for anyone who wants to try the site's HD streams out. PM me and I'll give you the links.
    you should use them for some sort of contest! :shock:
    (Original post by Truered)
    There's one piece talk on here, and I'm one of the newer arrivals to it, having been put off by the sheer length of it- two years worth of episodes ago :facepalm2: Currently at episode 54, have the first 400 episodes to watch.

Just a shame that I'm currently watching a buttload of new season shows, so I haven't really had the opportunity/mood to binge since I stalled on episode 50 to avoid running out of episodes :nyoron:
    you dont need to watch it all at once:hmmm:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    When I signed up to Crunchyroll out of curiosity, they offered a guest pass that gave me access to their HD streams for a month or so... I'm assuming this is different?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Additionally, rather than putting me off, I'd rejoice in the fact that there's over 400 episodes of an anime that I'm enjoying. I've never understood the mindset that because there's a lot of episodes to get through, you'd rather not watch it... Just watch at your own pace and enjoy it. There's no time limit or requirement to finish it quickly.
    I agree with this :yep: I've never understood people who don't like long anime or are put off by length. I find the prospects of a very good, long running anime to be great. If anything there are many shows that have ended too quickly rather than gone on too long and I would gladly want to run on.

In an unrelated topic, I finished Rainbow, that was great! I really liked it, very sad :cry2: However as Vin said it did become a bit of a melodrama towards the end however I never lost sympathy for any of the characters and I really liked the presentation, I get the feeling it probably is quite different from the manga, which is probably a lot darker, however I thought for the anime it worked out very well. I don't really know what it was like in 1955 post-WWII Japan, however it looked brutal from that anime

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bill-e)
    You'll like Deathnote if you like the whole taking over the world aspect about Code Geass.
    Deathnote is 37 episodes
    TTGL is 26 I think
    and FMA:Brotherhood is just over 60 from what I can remember
    Well I started watching Darker than Black. Is it good or should I stop and find something else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    you should use them for some sort of contest! :shock:
    :beard: Don't know if I have time to make anything up though

(Original post by Aiko)
    When I signed up to Crunchyroll out of curiosity, they offered a guest pass that gave me access to their HD streams for a month or so... I'm assuming this is different?
    CR offer 2weeks free trial to those just opening new accounts, but they give their premium members a 24hr guest pass every month to give to ordinary members or people new to the site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Facticity)
    I agree with this :yep: I've never understood people who don't like long anime or are put off by length. I find the prospects of a very good, long running anime to be great. If anything there are many shows that have ended too quickly rather than gone on too long and I would gladly want to run on.

In an unrelated topic, I finished Rainbow, that was great! I really liked it, very sad :cry2: However as Vin said it did become a bit of a melodrama towards the end however I never lost sympathy for any of the characters and I really liked the presentation, I get the feeling it probably is quite different from the manga, which is probably a lot darker, however I thought for the anime it worked out very well. I don't really know what it was like in 1955 post-WWII Japan, however it looked brutal from that anime
    the stuff with Ishihara was just a bit too over the top at times to be believable :sigh: but mostly it was good stuff
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    CR offer 2weeks free trial to those just opening new accounts, but they give their premium members a 24hr guest pass every month to give to ordinary members or people new to the site.
    Surely, those who have yet to sign up would be better off doing so in order to receive the two week trial, upon which they can ascertain whether the service is for them during this time. This 24 hour alternative would only seem worthwhile for those who have already had their two week trial and are now ordinary members. However, this would contradict with the assumption that if they were happy with their two week taster of premium, they would have subscribed to it already. I guess it's just another way to entice and/or convince the existing membership.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by vin)
    the stuff with Ishihara was just a bit too over the top at times to be believable :sigh: but mostly it was good stuff
    True, that just was crazy also when Anchan kept walking with the knife despite being threatened, I was like, just drop the knife and everything will be fine o_O Some stuff was just ridiculous, and that Sasaki guy was disgusting but as you said, mostly good stuff :yes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by ??????????????????)
    Well I started watching Darker than Black. Is it good or should I stop and find something else?
    I would finish Darker than Black, including its second season. It's definitely a worthwhile watch, in my opinion. :smile:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Surely, those who have yet to sign up would be better off doing so in order to receive the two week trial, upon which they can ascertain whether the service is for them during this time. This 24 hour alternative would only seem worthwhile for those who have already had their two week trial and are now ordinary members. However, this would contradict with the assumption that if they were happy with their two week taster of premium, they would have subscribed to it already. I guess it's just another way to entice and/or convince the existing membership.
    Yeah the 2week trial is much better for those without accounts, but the only thing is you have to give payment details & remember to opt out of the scheme at the end of the trial or it will start charging you monthly. The Guest Passes don't need payment details if I remember rightly, and are handy tasters (plus I'd like to get rid of them before they expire).

CR has a pretty decent selection in the UK (much, much better in the US) and there isn't really any other service providing the same quality & so quickly. I personally don't actually watch anything on the site due to my dislike of streaming & some localisation choices in the subs, so I still get my HD fansubs for most shows, but I still pay my Crunchyroll subscription.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yeah the 2week trial is much better for those without accounts, but the only thing is you have to give payment details & remember to opt out of the scheme at the end of the trial or it will start charging you monthly. The Guest Passes don't need payment details if I remember rightly, and are handy tasters (plus I'd like to get rid of them before they expire).
    Aha, funny you should say that, it seems I'm a premium member as well because I chose not to opt out. :tongue: I might as well keep it going because the fee is negligible.

CR has a pretty decent selection in the UK (much, much better in the US) and there isn't really any other service providing the same quality & so quickly. I personally don't actually watch anything on the site due to my dislike of streaming & some localisation choices in the subs, so I still get my HD fansubs for most shows, but I still pay my Crunchyroll subscription.
    Really? What does the UK have over the US, out of interest? Also, I'm not sure whether you read my post before I edited it, but I did address my thoughts on Crunchyroll as a whole, ultimately choosing to remove it because I was digressing from the original discussion somewhat. Now that it seems more relevant, I'll re-post it here:

Personally, while I encourage the service Crunchyroll provide, the selection they offer is not large enough to constitute paying a monthly fee. Even with their exclusive licensing of the latest anime in HD, and the quick hourly release after the Japanese broadcast, I don't believe this will be enough to convince the market they're targeting, all of whom are/were presumably obtaining fan-subtitled anime beforehand for free in HD.

Anyway, it's sort of reminiscent of Spotify's decision to put limitations in place for their free service, only that unlike Crunchyroll, their selection of music and the customer market they're targeting is far more expansive.

ReputationRep:
    Im hoping Ao no Exorcist isnt actually going to be an amusing school series :indiff:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by vin)
    Im hoping Ao no Exorcist isnt actually going to be an amusing school series :indiff:
    I don't think it will be, not that I'd be adverse to that. :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Aha, funny you should say that, it seems I'm a premium member as well because I chose not to opt out. :tongue: I might as well keep it going because the fee is negligible.
    The fee really isn't all that much (I'm on the 3-month payment plan) and at least its giving something back to the industry however miniscule.

Really? What does the UK have over the US, out of interest? Also, I'm not sure whether you read my post before I edited it, but I did address my thoughts on Crunchyroll as a whole, ultimately choosing to remove it because I was digressing from the original discussion somewhat. Now that it seems more relevant, I'll re-post it here:
    The UK doesn't have anything over the US - the US has by far the better selection. CR is a US company and its primary audience is in the US, so the majority of its catalogue is region locked to the US, with only a percentage with worldwide or Europe licenses added on.

The site is still small and I agree that the selection really isn't big enough to really justify its fee (although the fee is really for instant access & HD streams, content is available to all eventually in SD). They're really going to have to work much harder to get more titles & more international licenses if they're going to get the majority of the fanbase out of its pirating ways.

(Original post by vin)
    Someone on twitter said it was like D.Gray-man mixed with Harry Potter this morning :giggle:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Meh, finding the time to download and the disk space to keep a long series were always the main factors putting me off them in the past. That, and the fact that I could have watched 20-40 shorter series in the same amount of time as One Piece, which I felt would offer a greater variety than 100s of episodes of the same thing. Since my sister is the opposite, putting most of her time and disk space into few, long running series, it was the fact I could easily get the first ~350 eps of One Piece from her that convinced me to pick it up in the end, and even then I had to accept the fact I'd have to delete the episodes as I finished them to make space for more.

In terms of variation, I'll certainly admit that One Piece's arcs have offered plenty of that within one series, so I'm no longer worried about that. For me its still the thought of getting hold of these series that puts me off, though I have downloaded a couple of 100 ep series myself this year, which is progress I suppose. :p: I'm also willing to take them from other people (as I did with D.Gray-Man) whenever possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    I don't think it will be, not that I'd be adverse to that. :tongue:
    For their inevitable haunted house at the school festival they just wont kill any monsters for a few days :yes:

Someone on twitter said it was like D.Gray-man mixed with Harry Potter this morning :giggle:
    My first thought was "Animagus :shock:" when that dog transformed :mmm:

Id prefer it if he was still working part time with that mean boss , he could stack shelves by day and performs exorcisms at night :yes:

:beard: could be an interesting slice of life :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    Nah, I've read the manga up to date and it does spend some time in the school but I don't think they ever actually have lessons, they just fight. Ofsted must hate them.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    The UK doesn't have anything over the US - the US has by far the better selection. CR is a US company and its primary audience is in the US, so the majority of its catalogue is region locked to the US, with only a percentage with worldwide or Europe licenses added on.

The site is still small and I agree that the selection really isn't big enough to really justify its fee (although the fee is really for instant access & HD streams, content is available to all eventually in SD). They're really going to have to work much harder to get more titles & more international licenses if they're going to get the majority of the fanbase out of its pirating ways.
    Oh, sorry, I misread. I thought you meant the opposite, that the UK has something over the US. This would make sense. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Meh, you must have stalled it for shorter periods, and watched less other series at the same time. I was unemployed, out of education and geographically isolated from civilization for most of 2010, anime WAS my life. :giggle:

Still, that's an impressive speed.
    haha Thanks

(Original post by ??????????????????)
    I've heard good things about it. Not seen it myself tbh

ReputationRep:
    Err...hi guys? Thought I'd join, seeing as I haven't yet.

What's everyone watching this season? All I've picked up are Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai II and Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko. Oh, and the Ore no Imouto "True End". Might pick up Ao no Exorcist when it gets to a mildly decent part of the manga.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.