Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else watching Sabagebu! - Survival Game Club! ?

It's probably my favourite anime of the season so far & is one of the funniest anime I've seen in ages. The narrator is just exactly my sort of humour & pretty much everything he says gets a genuine laugh out of me. The rest of the show is also pretty amusing & fun to watch. Highly recommended.

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,
    I haven't watched anything new since last autumn (I watched SnK then). I also started No Game No Life but it didn't seem very interesting, kinda reminded me of SAO. I might have misjudged it though, since I only saw one or two episodes.
    I wanna ask you if there are any animes from 2014 that you can recommend? Anything you think is worth watching (and why?)
    I'm new to this forum so sorry for being, uh, kinda awkward I guess.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by tomikocchi)
    Hello guys,
    I haven't watched anything new since last autumn (I watched SnK then). I also started No Game No Life but it didn't seem very interesting, kinda reminded me of SAO. I might have misjudged it though, since I only saw one or two episodes.
    I wanna ask you if there are any animes from 2014 that you can recommend? Anything you think is worth watching (and why?)
    I'm new to this forum so sorry for being, uh, kinda awkward I guess.
    Welcome to the society.

For me, the best series of the year so far has been Sidonia no Kishi, which shares quite a few core themes with Shingeki no Kyojin - the last remnants of humanity, desperately battling against a much larger, poorly understood threat being the obvious one. Coincidentally, they can also both be abbreviated to SnK. The major difference is of course that Sidonia is set in space, and so is more sci-fi than medieval-style fantasy. Oh, and the CGI animation has put a few people off, but personally I think it works well, particularly in the battle scenes. :yes:

Other shows that I'd suggest from earlier this year would be Hoozuki no Reitetsu (a dark comedy set in Japanese hell), Hitsugi no Chaika (a decent action/fantasy series, with a second series due next season) and/or Kill la Kill (a ridiculously OTT but fantastically stylish series, which shares most of its staff with Gurren Lagann).

Lastly, if you're interested in the current season's offerings, my top three would be Zankyou no Terror, Aldnoah Zero and Barakamon, though that's based on only the 1-2 eps of each that have aired so far. The former two had plenty of well-animated action scenes from the get-go, while the latter is one of the most enjoyable slice of life/comedy series I've seen in a long time.

Hope that something there takes your interest.

ReputationRep:
    lol Bakumatsu Rock is hilarious. And it doesn't intend to be :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I'm Francesca (call me Fran if you prefer) ^#^

If you're interested, I have an account on myanimelist to keep track of the anime I've watched/currently watching/plan to watch~

I finished mirai nikki (future diary) recently and that blew my mind e.e It has become my favourite ^#^
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Furandesu)
    Hey everyone, I'm Francesca (call me Fran if you prefer) ^#^

If you're interested, I have an account on myanimelist to keep track of the anime I've watched/currently watching/plan to watch~

I finished mirai nikki (future diary) recently and that blew my mind e.e It has become my favourite ^#^
    Welcome to the society!

That's an interesting anime list, quite a mix of newer and older series, popular and obscure ones. I'm slightly intrigued as to why you started with the third series of Galaxy Angel, but I guess it doesn't make much difference in a series like that which has no running plot. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    Finally finished Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood Its the first long(ish) series i've finished excluding the childhood anime which i've seen too many times. If a 64 episode series can hold my attention then it has truely earnt the top spot on MAL/AP. As a series it very few major flaws, the start is a bit slow but otherwise its fine. A juicy 4/5 on AP!

Also finished Black Lagoon tonight, that too hasn't disappointed me really. Now its time to crack on with the season
    I've tried watching FMA but like you said the start is kinda slow so i ended up leaving it. I need to get motivated to watch it because i'm sure i'll like it.

Black Lagoon is one of my favourite animes :sogood: i love it! Speaking of which does anyone know any anime similar to Black Lagoon? I watched Jormungand recently which is similar and it's a brilliant anime, so sad there's no more

I'm currently in the middle of watching the Rebirth of Evangelion but i get so lazy. I'm on the 2nd movie.

Anyone still keeping up with Naruto manga?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by brownsugar-xx)
    Black Lagoon is one of my favourite animes :sogood: i love it! Speaking of which does anyone know any anime similar to Black Lagoon? I watched Jormungand recently which is similar and it's a brilliant anime, so sad there's no more
    Possibly Canaan, or any of Bee Train's Girls & Guns trilogy? (my recommendation would be Madlax; the other two are Noir and El Cazador de la Bruja).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Welcome to the society!

That's an interesting anime list, quite a mix of newer and older series, popular and obscure ones. I'm slightly intrigued as to why you started with the third series of Galaxy Angel, but I guess it doesn't make much difference in a series like that which has no running plot. :p:
    Thank you! Yeah, it's strange ^#^ I started series 3 because I received it as a birthday present ^#^""

ReputationRep:
    Possibly Canaan, or any of Bee Train's Girls & Guns trilogy? (my recommendation would be Madlax; the other two are Noir and El Cazador de la Bruja).
    Canaan is a very good suggestion but ive seen it already, alphard is sexy af
    Never heard of the other suggestions so i'll check them out!

Anyone ever watched Sankarea? I've been thinking about watching it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Anyone ever watched Sankarea? I've been thinking about watching it.
    I've seen it. :yes: I thought it was one of the best series of its year overall, though it doesn't end very well - the manga is still ongoing, though I hear it's due to end soon, so I'm hoping they'll adapt it to give the anime a sequel and proper closure eventually.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, i need to ask, the new season of Black Butler (Book of circus) that aired last week, is it set before or after the events of Season 2?

ReputationRep:
    I've seen it. :yes: I thought it was one of the best series of its year overall, though it doesn't end very well - the manga is still ongoing, though I hear it's due to end soon, so I'm hoping they'll adapt it to give the anime a sequel and proper closure eventually.
    ooo in that case i think i might actually go for it. It's a short series as well which is helpful. I don't mind going onto the manga once i;ve finished with it, sometimes i do that anyway.

I'm wondering how many people here have watched NHK, i cant remember the full name tho but it's basically about a guy who's too scared to leave his flat because of anxiety and how a girl helps him to get over it. It was enjoyably depressing at times.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Guys, i need to ask, the new season of Black Butler (Book of circus) that aired last week, is it set before or after the events of Season 2?
    It's set immediately after the curry contest arc part way through Series 1. The rest of Series 1 and all of the second series is anime-original material, so in Book of Circus they're pretending none of that ever happened and continuing with the manga plot.

[EDIT] It's worth noting that the first episode of Book of Circus is also anime-orignal, however, and just serves to re-introduce the characters since it's been a few years.

ooo in that case i think i might actually go for it. It's a short series as well which is helpful. I don't mind going onto the manga once i;ve finished with it, sometimes i do that anyway.

I'm wondering how many people here have watched NHK, i cant remember the full name tho but it's basically about a guy who's too scared to leave his flat because of anxiety and how a girl helps him to get over it. It was enjoyably depressing at times.
    That'd be Welcome to the NHK - again, I've seen it at the very least. :p: It's actually one of my favourite series ever.

ReputationRep:

That'd be Welcome to the NHK - again, I've seen it at the very least. :p: It's actually one of my favourite series ever.
    Yep, that's it! I only just watched it a few weeks ago as well and i'm forgetting already :laugh: That's cool, i still listen to that depressing/melancholy-ish song that was played throughout it and it's just so beautiful ;_; actually that's reminded me to read the manga! I've read that it's different in a few aspects to the anime so that should keep it interesting. So many things to watch and read
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Heeeey. I'm new here, be gentle. And I don't appear to be into the same genres as everyone else who's posted on this page of the thread, at least.

Oh dear.

I've just finished freaking out over the latest episode of Free! Eternal Summer....
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe)
    Heeeey. I'm new here, be gentle. And I don't appear to be into the same genres as everyone else who's posted on this page of the thread, at least.

Oh dear.

I've just finished freaking out over the latest episode of Free! Eternal Summer....
    Welcome to the society! What genres are you interested in, out of curiosity? There's not much I don't watch, to be honest. :p:

I've also picked up Free! Eternal Summer, but since it's been a busy week I've only seen the first episode so far. I'm hoping to catch up with that and some of the season's other offerings tonight.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Welcome to the society! What genres are you interested in, out of curiosity? There's not much I don't watch, to be honest. :p:

I've also picked up Free! Eternal Summer, but since it's been a busy week I've only seen the first episode so far. I'm hoping to catch up with that and some of the season's other offerings tonight.
    I tend to stick towards shoujo. (Shojo? Spelling is hard, haha) Stuff that's aimed specifically to girls, I guess. I haven't watched a huge number of series even though I started watching anime like... 6 years ago, maybe? I tend to get really intense about one or two series and watch all the episodes ASAP or just follow one to completion and then not watch much more for a couple of months. The stuff I have seen is a liiiittle all over the place but the majority seems to go down the aimed-to-girls or magical girl sort of route. I'll probably make a list on myanimelist at some point, haha.

I mean, I watched SAO, though. And that's fantastic. But I damn near threw up at having to watch Attack on Titan at the anime society at uni. I mean we only watched a couple of episodes and some of an abridged series but just... ugh. Something about it made me feel really ill. (I have major squick about characters in any medium being eaten or whatever, so that was a big issue).

Also you win life for watching Free *nodnod*. Third episode came out today and woahmygod.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe)
    I tend to stick towards shoujo. (Shojo? Spelling is hard, haha) Stuff that's aimed specifically to girls, I guess. I haven't watched a huge number of series even though I started watching anime like... 6 years ago, maybe? I tend to get really intense about one or two series and watch all the episodes ASAP or just follow one to completion and then not watch much more for a couple of months. The stuff I have seen is a liiiittle all over the place but the majority seems to go down the aimed-to-girls or magical girl sort of route. I'll probably make a list on myanimelist at some point, haha.

I mean, I watched SAO, though. And that's fantastic.
    I like mahou shoujo styles ^#^ obviously sailor moon xD and I'm planning to watch madoka magica :3

My boyfriend thinks it's essential that I watch SAO xD
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Furandesu)
    I like mahou shoujo styles ^#^ obviously sailor moon xD and I'm planning to watch madoka magica :3

My boyfriend thinks it's essential that I watch SAO xD
    SAO is fantastic. It really is. I would highly, highly recommend it.

I've had Madoka Magica recommended to me, but I don't know if I'll get around to watching it or not tbh.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.