Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

ReputationRep:
    I find Naruto entertaining but I'd probably only recommend it to someone who is very into traditional shounen fighting shows - really isn't everyone's thing.

Going to Berlin tonight for a few days - dreading my backlog when I get home on Tuesday night! Might be watching a bit too much this season.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iridann)
    I'm confused, long running shounen series are a tad over-rated.

Sent from my HTC One (M8) Gold using tapatalk.
    how?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I'm new to anime so I was wondering what would you recommend me to watch?

I've seen Death Note and I absolutely loved it, I'm currently watching Hunter x Hunter and Dragon Ball both of which I'm enjoying and as a kid I loved Pokemon too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    Hi guys I'm new to anime so I was wondering what would you recommend me to watch?

I've seen Death Note and I absolutely loved it, I'm currently watching Hunter x Hunter and Dragon Ball both of which I'm enjoying and as a kid I loved Pokemon too.
    strike the blood
    one piece but there are over 600 episodes and still going
    bleach but its finished
    tokyo ghoul
    detective conan
    fullmetal alchemist
    theres too may to say I'm just saying the ones off the top of my head

ReputationRep:

Sword Art Online is pretty good. 25 episodes long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masumah125)
    strike the blood
    one piece but there are over 600 episodes and still going
    bleach but its finished
    tokyo ghoul
    detective conan
    fullmetal alchemist
    theres too may to say I'm just saying the ones off the top of my head
    (Original post by Keoje)
    Thanks guys, that should keep me busy for a while.

Just out of interest how many animes do you watch at any one time? Or do you finish watching one anime/catch up to its latest episode before watching a new one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keoje)
    :eek: forgot about that
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

I second Sword Art Online. It's very good.
    And I'll always recommend Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan. It blew me away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe)
    Since we're on the subject of Naruto; I've not watched it either and don't actually ever plan on doing so. Granted, I've seen far fewer series than AJ, but still. I just don't see the appeal of trying desperately to catch up on a (or watch a completed) series that has several hundred episodes. About the only series I'm willing to watch that much of is Sailor Moon, and even then it's mostly because I'm nostalgic about it and watched a lot of it as a kid.

The Naruto fans completely terrify me as well so I'm scared of ever starting to watch it. All I've ever seen is 'YOU DON'T WATCH IT? HOW DARE YOU?' or hurling insults if you say you don't like it. >.<
    sorry if i scared you...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Just out of interest how many animes do you watch at any one time? Or do you finish watching one anime/catch up to its latest episode before watching a new one?
    I have 3 ongoing series on the go at the moment - Haikyuu!!, Free! and Sword Art Online series 2. I'm catching up on Ace of Diamond, and then that'll go down to a once-a-week thing as well. I could probably juggle about 10 on the go series if there were that many I wanted to watch - because that's only going to be a couple of episodes a day at best, if you see my logic, which is how many I'm already watching in an attempt to catch up to AoD.

ReputationRep:
    anybody know any new anime that has just started?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    How are you defining 'just started'? The new Sailor Moon show is only about 4 episodes in, if that helps?

ReputationRep:

I'm a slight addict and so have 29 ongoing shows at the moment - might fire in a completed show too off my backlog (probably Chobits or Law of Ueki).

Probably wouldn't recommend watching so many simultaneously but I have trouble quitting this habit!

Crunchyrolls simulcast list may be a good place to start if you're looking for currently airing shows. Summer season is about 6 weeks in at the moment. http://www.crunchyroll.com/lineup
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I watch twenty. Always twenty. I'm a bit OCD like that. :p: Eighteen ongoing series that I follow weekly, and two that have already finished airing that I can watch during the gaps. :yes:

Here's a list of everything that started this season.

http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/seasons/summer-2014

I'm not sure what you're already watching (aside from Tokyo Ghoul which you mentioned above), but my favourite of the lot would be Zankyou no Terror, and I'd also recommend Akame ga Kill! and Tokyo ESP if you like action.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe)
    I have 3 ongoing series on the go at the moment - Haikyuu!!, Free! and Sword Art Online series 2. I'm catching up on Ace of Diamond, and then that'll go down to a once-a-week thing as well. I could probably juggle about 10 on the go series if there were that many I wanted to watch - because that's only going to be a couple of episodes a day at best, if you see my logic, which is how many I'm already watching in an attempt to catch up to AoD.
    Oh ok I see, that seems like a good amount of anime to watch.

(Original post by caraniel)
    I'm a slight addict and so have 29 ongoing shows at the moment - might fire in a completed show too off my backlog (probably Chobits or Law of Ueki).

Probably wouldn't recommend watching so many simultaneously but I have trouble quitting this habit!
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I watch twenty. Always twenty. I'm a bit OCD like that. :p: Eighteen ongoing series that I follow weekly, and two that have already finished airing that I can watch during the gaps. :yes:
    Woah! :eek:
    That's quite a lot you're watching!!
    How many hours a day would you say you spend watching anime?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    That's quite a lot you're watching!!
    How many hours a day would you say you spend watching anime?
    Between one and five episodes on a working day, and between ten and fifteen episodes on a day off/weekend, so anywhere between 20 minutes and five hours. That's excluding time spent talking about anime, and time spent reading manga (one volume a day, every day). :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    how?
    It's just the story progression is often bland and not compelling. They just don't interest me.

ReputationRep:
    Between one and five episodes on a working day, and between ten and fifteen episodes on a day off/weekend, so anywhere between 20 minutes and five hours. That's excluding time spent talking about anime, and time spent reading manga (one volume a day, every day). :giggle:
    I tip my hat off to you my good sir, looks like you're really dedicated to anime and manga. :awesome::hat2:

Do you mainly buy manga or read it online? I've never read any manga before but I'm interested into reading some, what would you recommend me to read?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I tip my hat off to you my good sir, looks like you're really dedicated to anime and manga. :awesome::hat2:

Do you mainly buy manga or read it online? I've never read any manga before but I'm interested into reading some, what would you recommend me to read?
    Thank you!

I pretty much only bought (or borrowed) printed manga volumes until this year, when I ran out of shelf space. Now I read manga on Kindle, but unfortunately there are way less series licensed for the UK ebook market - unlike printed books, they can be region locked, so a lot get released in the US only. :s: So now about half of what I read is bought, and the other half is scanlated. :yes:

As for recommendations, are there any genres in particular that you like? Or if you don't mind either way, I'd offer Necromancer, Gunslinger Girl and/or X-Day as general recommendations.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

I pretty much only bought (or borrowed) printed manga volumes until this year, when I ran out of shelf space. Now I read manga on Kindle, but unfortunately there are way less series licensed for the UK ebook market - unlike printed books, they can be region locked, so a lot get released in the US only. :s: So now about half of what I read is bought, and the other half is scanlated. :yes:

As for recommendations, are there any genres in particular that you like? Or if you don't mind either way, I'd offer Necromancer, Gunslinger Girl and/or X-Day as general recommendations.
    I'd actually recommend using the Jump app if you aren't already For a monthly sub it's like 1 quid something and you get 4 issues

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.