Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Judge Jasel)
    Just spent the whole day watching Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun and Ōkami Shōjo to Kuro Ōji. Don't ask me why, but relationship/ shoujo/ comedy animes are the new black for me.

Anyone know of Anime titles like them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Kaicho Wa Maid Sama! (May have spelt that wrong lol) I'm currently watching it and reading it. (Read it first)

I have watched Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun too. I can't remember if I read that first or watched it first.

Mayo Chiki!

Acchi Kocchi

This Lovely complex seems interesting. I may give that ago.

I have manga suggestions if you're interested. Not checked out if they have be turned into animes yet i.e. Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steadmusic)
    Kaicho Wa Maid Sama! (May have spelt that wrong lol) I'm currently watching it and reading it. (Read it first)

I have watched Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun too. I can't remember if I read that first or watched it first.

Mayo Chiki!

Acchi Kocchi

This Lovely complex seems interesting. I may give that ago.

I have manga suggestions if you're interested. Not checked out if they have be turned into animes yet i.e. Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo

Uh oh. I've watched Kaichou, but have never read it. Must get to that immediately. Mayo chiki? What's the story?

Why not? I'm a bit short in manga. Read the new volume if blue exorcist and started on brynhildr in the darkness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ki Yung Na)
    I honestly haven't heard anything about it till now, probably because I don't have much interaction with anime fans aside from this now since I hardly ever use MAL or any other forum I was on. I'm assuming you've watched plenty GITS then? If so, is there anything out there you felt was similar or just damn good like GITS is?
    Interesting question. I don't know what else you've seen so apologies if none of the following is news to you. To my mind Mamoru Oshii's GitS films and the GitS: Stand Alone Complex stuff directed by Kamiyama are a bit different from each other, but I'll fire some recommendations scattershot:

-- The first two Patlabor films (one, two) were directed by Mamoru Oshii like the GitS films, are very good, and are similarly thrillers which cast a close eye on technological change. If you want to get to know the characters beforehand you could watch the short first Patlabor OVA -- it's a bit more comic and less serious but will set you up for the films.

-- Jin-Rou: The Wolf Brigade was written (but not directed) by Oshii. It's a restrained, downbeat paramilitary thriller set in an alternate-history Japan.

-- Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise isn't cyberpunk but has a similar interest in the use and abuse of technology, and a curiously dark-comic tone with a selfish, morally compromised hero's. I think it's getting a DVD and bluray release in the UK soon; if the HD transfer and the subtitles are the same as they used at the Leeds Film Festival it should be quite a good release.

-- The TV series Serial Experiments Lain, if you fancy something which works at greater length.

-- Monster is even longer but is probably one of anime's best-in-class serious, long-form mysteries, if you enjoy the extended mystery plot format used in the Stand Alone Complex TV shows.

-- Speaking more generally, the films of Satoshi Kon are very good and have a persistent interest in perception and reality -- I'd point particularly to Paprika and Perfect Blue.

-- Time of Eve is gentler and funnier than GitS but is still slightly more thoughtful, hard sf that's relatively rare in anime. It's a neat little story.

-- Kaiba is radically different aesthetically and if the style puts you off that is totally fine, but it is quite a neat story in a setting where memory manipulation and body-swapping are everyday tools.

-- Moribito is in many ways quite unlike GitS, but it was made by the director & many of the same staff as Stand Alone Complex, it's good, and it has a similarly martially-powerful woman as its lead character.

I hope some of these are useful suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    Uh oh. I've watched Kaichou, but have never read it. Must get to that immediately. Mayo chiki? What's the story?

Why not? I'm a bit short in manga. Read the new volume if blue exorcist and started on brynhildr in the darkness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mayo Chiki: school boy has gynophobia, he accidentally discovers that Konoe is in fact a girl. Now he must work together with Subaru and her mistress, Suzutsuki, to protect Subaru's secret from being discovered. I think it was rather fun. Never read this one though.

Acchi Kocchi: The serious-minded Io and the pure-hearted Tsumiki feel they never want to be parted, but haven't become a couple yet. More than friends but less than lovers, they develop an awkward quasi-romance.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    My Top 12 anime of the year list~

I really struggled to cut it down this year, but when weighing all their strengths and weaknesses against each other, it was surprising how many of the shows that topped my weekly rankings ended up low down or being left out entirely in this list. :hmmmm2: Helps that I've been rewatching some of my all-time favourite series recently, they've served to remind me what makes a truly good series. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    Psycho Pass 1 & 2 spoilers ahead:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think it was okay. It took a while to get going - I think around episode 9 or 10, once that weird girl stopped turning people into "art" - but it was quite interesting once it did. Another way of wording that would be that it got interesting once Makishima took a frontal role, though the scene with Kogami and the cyborg-shotgun-guy-whose-name-i-forget was also great.

The problem for me was that there was this whole Kogami vs Makishima vibe but I never felt empathetic towards Kogami as the backstory there was skimmed over. The two of them were also only loosely connected: it was Touma(?) who killed Sasayama(?). I wasn't really sure of Makishima's role in that, but I guess he compelled Touma to do it. I can appreciate that Kogami wanted to avenge his friend even still but it just wasn't personal enough for me to feel emotionally invested in it. Because of that, Makishima's death felt very empty for me. I wasn't glad Kogami did it; I felt the opposite, if anything.

The visuals, world, characters, etc were all great, but I just think it needed a better story to link all that together.

Psycho Pass 2 was meh. The premise of the story was okay, but with only 11 episodes to tell it in, it all felt a bit rushed. And, again, it didn't really end; you have to feel like it can't end until they get rid of Sibyl.

You're right that they didn't touch the previous story again, but it was a different studio so maybe they wanted to go elsewhere with it. I'm not sure how or why they'd really bring Kogami back into it anyway. He did get a brief moment in there when Akane was tripping balls.
    I guess so. But you have to agree the opening episode was rather good, the whole futuristic set up and all. And I get what you mean, even with a while first two seasons, the story seemed a bit... loose. Kagari died and that was that, which felt a bit abrupt.

I guess the kogami/makishima story could've been better, simply because we saw this epic fight scene at the start and I got my hopes up that there should be a good backstory to this. However, I don't think it was the producer's intention to make you more emphatic towards either character. You'd assume that you'd end up disliking Makishima simply because "oh look. He's destroying crops and wants to kill us all" kinda thing.

Still haven't finished the second psycho-pass, but from what I hear, it's worse than the first. Like the op though, always loved EGOIST ever since watching guilty crown.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    shingeki no bahamaut is finished :emo: Why was I stupidly under the impression it would be 24 eps?

ReputationRep:
    x
    Psycho Pass
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yeah definitely. The first episode was great and it was what got me interested. I think maybe the first 2 or 3 were solid, but I found the somewhat episodic stories after that a bit dull.

As for Kagari's death, I actually didn't mind that too much. It's really rare that you see a somewhat important character get a death like that, where there isn't a huge deal made of it and they're just quickly taken out. None of the other characters even knew what happened until nearer the end, if I recall.

Tbh, all I think it needed was one or two episodes dedicated to Kogami's past, so that we see it all happen and we understand it better. I think all we saw were some blurry stills?

Relevant Fate Zero spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    if we hadn't got the two episodes of Kiritsugu's past, showing what he went through, then it would've been harder to understand why he is who he is. He always prioritised the option that killed less people, even if it meant killing someone he loved, because he made the mistake of not doing that as a kid. That's what we needed for Kogami. We really needed to see him suffering, a side to him that we didn't see in the anime. What turned him into who he is? We were told what it was, but it's hard to really appreciate that through a few lines of dialogue.

ReputationRep:
    Hajime no Ippo is the greatest anime of all time. That is all.

Actually, that is not all. Usually I don't even try new animes, but Zankyou no Terror has been pretty decent so far. Five episodes in.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I just finished Akame ga kill, it was strangely enjoyable and quite a sad ending. Haven't felt quite so sad since Clannad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    Relevant Fate Zero spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    if we hadn't got the two episodes of Kiritsugu's past, showing what he went through, then it would've been harder to understand why he is who he is. He always prioritised the option that killed less people, even if it meant killing someone he loved, because he made the mistake of not doing that as a kid. That's what we needed for Kogami. We really needed to see him suffering, a side to him that we didn't see in the anime. What turned him into who he is? We were told what it was, but it's hard to really appreciate that through a few lines of dialogue.
    This is my hope for the upcoming 2015 Psycho Pass movie.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm not sure if you've seen the post credit 'teaser' following Psycho Pass 2, but the movie is looking to feature Kogami. I'm hoping for some more back story/development, beyond the 'oh he used to be an inspector' stuff.

On episode 7 of Parasyte the Maxim, I'm entertained, but there are a few things that bug me.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I really hope that Shinichi doesn't become one of those Shoenen protagonists who for some unfathomable reason, seems to be catnip to the opposite sex (this was my main gripe with SAO!) 7 episodes in and he's already managed to 'woo' 3 female characters (ladies must love men with parasitical entities in their hands :unimpressed:)

Also, slightly annoyed with the 'spiderman-esque' moment in episode 6. Apparently having parasitical fragments enter your bloodstream cures both myopia and gives you super human abilities (sign me up). Would it kill anime writers to keep an anime protagonist wearing spectacles!?

I've heard from someone who has read the manga though that as the story progresses, the writers subvert many of the cliches/plot tropes put into play. I'm interested in how it plays out.

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished Bakuman 3 which for the last 4 years I've watched during the new years and christmas time period which I think is quite cool. It was great, it felt sort of rushed a few moments in the last season but this hardly hindered it, in fact the journey felt well timed and makes me think maybe the fact that things were going so smooth and quick kind of makes sense, I mean as you age, and especially when you're in your golden years, in this case early 20's for Mashiro and Tagaki, time must feel like it's flying by faster than ever before or even after; at least that's what I take from that. Either way this journey of 75ish episodes, I think, was incredible, it's unique yet manages to continue to keep one hooked because it all feels so genuine, at times it's corny as hell but isn't that just realistic? Damn, it's well delivered, guys if you haven't seen it yet, I recommend it!

It reeked of death note at times and lol at how the author is basically telling the viewer about his opinions on stuff eg Light Yagami.

I also marathon'd Shingkegi no Bahamut, this was an awesome work too! Visuals are great, characters unique yet refreshingly enjoyable and very very well delivered.

This year I've watched some great anime, particularly the last few, my list has quite a few 10's at the bottom of it right now. Feels great to pick and then enjoy such awesomeness!

Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by QHF)
    Interesting question. I don't know what else you've seen so apologies if none of the following is news to you. To my mind Mamoru Oshii's GitS films and the GitS: Stand Alone Complex stuff directed by Kamiyama are a bit different from each other, but I'll fire some recommendations scattershot:

-- The first two Patlabor films (one, two) were directed by Mamoru Oshii like the GitS films, are very good, and are similarly thrillers which cast a close eye on technological change. If you want to get to know the characters beforehand you could watch the short first Patlabor OVA -- it's a bit more comic and less serious but will set you up for the films.

-- Jin-Rou: The Wolf Brigade was written (but not directed) by Oshii. It's a restrained, downbeat paramilitary thriller set in an alternate-history Japan.

-- Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise isn't cyberpunk but has a similar interest in the use and abuse of technology, and a curiously dark-comic tone with a selfish, morally compromised hero's. I think it's getting a DVD and bluray release in the UK soon; if the HD transfer and the subtitles are the same as they used at the Leeds Film Festival it should be quite a good release.

-- The TV series Serial Experiments Lain, if you fancy something which works at greater length.

-- Monster is even longer but is probably one of anime's best-in-class serious, long-form mysteries, if you enjoy the extended mystery plot format used in the Stand Alone Complex TV shows.

-- Speaking more generally, the films of Satoshi Kon are very good and have a persistent interest in perception and reality -- I'd point particularly to Paprika and Perfect Blue.

-- Time of Eve is gentler and funnier than GitS but is still slightly more thoughtful, hard sf that's relatively rare in anime. It's a neat little story.

-- Kaiba is radically different aesthetically and if the style puts you off that is totally fine, but it is quite a neat story in a setting where memory manipulation and body-swapping are everyday tools.

-- Moribito is in many ways quite unlike GitS, but it was made by the director & many of the same staff as Stand Alone Complex, it's good, and it has a similarly martially-powerful woman as its lead character.

I hope some of these are useful suggestions.

You my friend are legendary, this is a great post!
    Of those mentioned I've watched four: Jin Roh, Paprika, Perfect Blue and Monster.

Jin Roh reminded me of the GITS movie but I think it's one of those you have to watch more than once to appreciate it, or at least be in the right mindset to watch it first time. I've only watched it once and whilst it was pretty good I didn't think it delivered, but thinking back.. it has stuck in my memories so maybe I don't give it as much credit as I should.

Perfect Blue was incredible, ah the rush it gave me at times. Very strong work, it left me quite literally mindf***ed. It made me watch Paprika which I think ruined my experience of Paprika, if hadn't watched it so soon after, I might have enjoyed it more rather than compare the two especially considering I was as I decribed "mindf***ed". Paprika just seemed all over the place, but I think that's kind of what it was trying to achieve, I just wasn't willing to think as much, whatever it was, I still quite liked it though!

Monster is great, it was one of the first of the few anime I had watched years ago and it was definitely the first one that was so long. The suspension and questioning that takes place throughout this series was great, ah I loved this so much!! This and Perfect Blue are up there alongside some GITS as the best anime I've seen.

Thanks again man! These sound interesting and considering the I have watched some of them I can confidently say I value your opinion and will be watching these some time very soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tai Ga)
    shingeki no bahamaut is finished :emo: Why was I stupidly under the impression it would be 24 eps?
    Your post made me watch it, thanks a lot! It's so awesome!

ReputationRep:
    I'll aim to get my secret santa revealing information out this week but we'll see. As it happens i've been that bogged down I didn't get the chance to watch any anime, never mind my xmas choices so i'll probably start them soon.

Also as an FYI Arriety by Studio Ghibli is on film4 now.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again man! These sound interesting and considering the I have watched some of them I can confidently say I value your opinion and will be watching these some time very soon.
    No problem, glad to help -- and glad to hear that some of them are useful suggestions even though you've seen others. Another thing to consider if you haven't already thought of it or tried it is Legend of the Galactic Heroes, since it sounds like you enjoy thoughtful, long-running titles. Its animation is usually staid rather than spectacular and occasionally its thoroughgoing sincerity gets slightly hokey but it really is pretty good.

And yeah, perhaps Jin-Roh is so dense it isn't really a single-viewing thing. I don't think the conspiracy part of a plot -- the bit that is explained in that one long conversation between a bunch of old men in a scrapyard in the rain -- quite holds up. I value the film for the hero's emotional and psychological trajectories, the depiction of an alternate-history Japan, and the remarkable realist animation.

ReputationRep:
    I finally finished Psycho Pass after re-watching season one in the form of New Edit version. The Second time watching S1 through New Edit had me really enjoying it, in fact, I enjoyed it more so this time round than the first time. I put more thought into it this time and that made it more enjoyable. Can't believe it's been so long since I watched it/it released.

S2 I have mixed feelings/thoughts on, I don't think it was as good as S1/NewEdit but nor do I think it was bad, it's quite different to S1 and I thought it wasn't quite as well done as the original, it seemed like it was far too niche whereas S1 whilst niche was done so it wasn't just reliant on itself whereas S2 really just kept itself to itself and didn't delve into themes things the way S1 did - bad description I know but I don't want to spoilt the details.

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by QHF)
    No problem, glad to help -- and glad to hear that some of them are useful suggestions even though you've seen others. Another thing to consider if you haven't already thought of it or tried it is Legend of the Galactic Heroes, since it sounds like you enjoy thoughtful, long-running titles. Its animation is usually staid rather than spectacular and occasionally its thoroughgoing sincerity gets slightly hokey but it really is pretty good.

And yeah, perhaps Jin-Roh is so dense it isn't really a single-viewing thing. I don't think the conspiracy part of a plot -- the bit that is explained in that one long conversation between a bunch of old men in a scrapyard in the rain -- quite holds up. I value the film for the hero's emotional and psychological trajectories, the depiction of an alternate-history Japan, and the remarkable realist animation.

Your deductions of my taste in anime are very good! I've actually already watched LOTGH too and I agree, it's great. I actually didn't think it got too hokey, instead it seemed pretty well expressed to me but either way, you've got good taste.

Again, I agree with what you've written about Jin Roh. It's definitely the more subtle things like the character development and the art/expression that make it punch beyond its weight when compared to just the basic plot, that's the sort of stuff I remember about it; the settings, visuals, atmosphere and the character's complicated or even lack off emotional expression.

ReputationRep:
    I finally finished Psycho Pass after re-watching season one in the form of New Edit version. The Second time watching S1 through New Edit had me really enjoying it, in fact, I enjoyed it more so this time round than the first time. I put more thought into it this time and that made it more enjoyable. Can't believe it's been so long since I watched it/it released.

S2 I have mixed feelings/thoughts on, I don't think it was as good as S1/NewEdit but nor do I think it was bad, it's quite different to S1 and I thought it wasn't quite as well done as the original, it seemed like it was far too niche whereas S1 whilst niche was done so it wasn't just reliant on itself whereas S2 really just kept itself to itself and didn't delve into themes things the way S1 did - bad description I know but I don't want to spoilt the details.
    I agree, the new 11 episode edits are quite good, but if you have the original first series on dvd.... not worth buying it again. But even with 20 odd episodes, I still felt the main story wasn't quite fleshed up enough and left some holes and questions. Not that I don't like Urobuchi, in fact a lot of his stories are amazing. However, to be fair, I did set my expectations high, seeing that it was produced by the same studio that did Ghost in the Shell. I thought it would be amazing.

Series two I wasn't happy with. They switched production teams, and while the animation is still good, it was too short for a story so large. Also, it was a similar if not the same plot as before, just with some alterations... So...... And Kougami was missing.

But hell is psycho pass a great series, I won't just stream it, I'd buy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree, the new 11 episode edits are quite good, but if you have the original first series on dvd.... not worth buying it again. But even with 20 odd episodes, I still felt the main story wasn't quite fleshed up enough and left some holes and questions. Not that I don't like Urobuchi, in fact a lot of his stories are amazing. However, to be fair, I did set my expectations high, seeing that it was produced by the same studio that did Ghost in the Shell. I thought it would be amazing.

Series two I wasn't happy with. They switched production teams, and while the animation is still good, it was too short for a story so large. Also, it was a similar if not the same plot as before, just with some alterations... So...... And Kougami was missing.

But hell is psycho pass a great series, I won't just stream it, I'd buy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Definitely worth a purchase later on. If I wasn't broke I'd be hoarding anime, manga and merchandise!

ReputationRep:
    Kamisama Hajimema****a season 2 is out :woo: I'm looking forward the the huge number of sequels this season as well as some promising original series :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Love Live! School Idol Project movie releasing this summer. Very interested to see how well it does as at the moment the franchise is in a league of its own in terms of sales. (Plus Love Live! is my favourite thing ever so more is always welcome)

Been catching up on Yuki Yuna and I'm really enjoying it so far but keep expecting it to do a Madoka Magica on me due to all the heavy handed foreshadowing...

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.