The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AngryJellyfish
Haha, I didn't expect anybody to pick up anything from my Guilty Pleasures list! :tongue:

I was tempted to pick up Bakumatsu Rock as music anime are my thing right now. :tongue: But I think I'll wait for UtaPri3 in spring instead. (& I'd already seen and loved Sabagebu! from your Guilty Pleasures although I don't think I'd class it as a guilty pleasure for me.)
Original post by TroyAndAbed
I was tempted to pick up Bakumatsu Rock as music anime are my thing right now. :tongue: But I think I'll wait for UtaPri3 in spring instead. (& I'd already seen and loved Sabagebu! from your Guilty Pleasures although I don't think I'd class it as a guilty pleasure for me.)

Bakumatsu Rock definitely isn't as good as Utapri, I can't wait for the third series. :biggrin: If you are looking for a decent music-themed series and haven't already watched it though, I'd recommend The Legend of Black Heaven. It's certainly unique. :p:

I'll admit, I was short on candidates for my Guilty Pleasures list this year. Most of what I picked up was good, and the rest I dropped, there were very few series that fell into the 'so bad it's good' category. Sabagebu! wouldn't have made the list if it had aired the year before, with the likes of Meganebu! and Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai! to compete with. :giggle:
Watched the first two episodes of Bacanno! It seems very intriguing (I'm a sucker for both the Mafia and Alchemy themes).

I'm having a hard time keeping track of all the different characters though! Thankfully, the rather cheerful (and awesomely instrumental) intro provides a helpful reminder. Love some of the naming, like 'Jacuzzi Splot.' :biggrin:
Anyone watched Vampire Knight..:h:
The first episode of Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! was everything I wanted and more. Hopefully it isn't just an amusing concept that runs out of steam as I really like it so far.
I went on a Parasyte marathon and ended up catching up with it. :/
It really has me gripped, I have to say though, I dislike the character development in it or maybe even the lack of? But aside from that the general plot, art and especially music is fitting and done well.

Original post by El Nombre
Watched the first two episodes of Bacanno! It seems very intriguing (I'm a sucker for both the Mafia and Alchemy themes).

I'm having a hard time keeping track of all the different characters though! Thankfully, the rather cheerful (and awesomely instrumental) intro provides a helpful reminder. Love some of the naming, like 'Jacuzzi Splot.' :biggrin:

Ah Bacanno is really cool! I think that mix up is interesting too and I had an awful time with the characters and I also liked their names too, that show didn't really have much flaws, if any! Enjoy it :smile:

AngryJellyFish I loved the reminder! :biggrin:
I can't give you or QHF any rep :/ I've repped others and it still says I have to rep others before I do.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8426
Original post by Ki Yung Na
I can't give you or QHF any rep :/ I've repped others and it still says I have to rep others before I do.

It takes ages to cycle round to let you do it again, don't worry about it. In the unlikely event that I ever manage to say anything worthwhile, people's thanks are enough :smile:
Original post by a9493r
Anyone watched Vampire Knight..:h:

Yes, but it was so long ago that I don't remember much about it. :redface: I really liked the ending theme though, and still play it often. :smile:

Original post by TroyAndAbed
The first episode of Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! was everything I wanted and more. Hopefully it isn't just an amusing concept that runs out of steam as I really like it so far.

I feel the same way, it could be in danger of getting repetitive if the novelty wears off and it descends into generic monster of the week battles. It's still highly entertaining two episodes in, however, so I just hope the humour remains as strong.

AngryJellyfish I loved the reminder! :biggrin:

I'm forever having that issue, mostly because I hardly post outside of this thread, so I only encounter 'other members' when there are new people around. :redface:
I'm forever having that issue, mostly because I hardly post outside of this thread, so I only encounter 'other members' when there are new people around. :redface:

Original post by QHF
It takes ages to cycle round to let you do it again, don't worry about it. In the unlikely event that I ever manage to say anything worthwhile, people's thanks are enough :smile:

Roger that!
Reply 8429
Even though I'm currently in Japan, I'm ironically struggling to watch much anime because my husband and I have opted to stay in a hotel instead of with my family due to our daughter. We figured it would be easier.

However, the internet here is terrible. It's barely good enough to load pages, let alone download anything. Anime is shown on television, but I'm seldom around when anything airs. So, I've resorted to paying visits to my brother's place where I try to download as much as I can.

I'll admit that I'm enjoying all of these action sci-fi harem anime this season. :giggle: I guess, if I were to compare them to anything, they're like junk food. I feel guilty watching them, but it's so good (for me, anyway). :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyone got any good anime to recommend?

I like a wide variety! However I've only watched the ones displayed on the AP :smile:
Original post by Kuroki

I like a wide variety! However I've only watched the ones displayed on the AP :smile:

Welcome to TSR :smile: Is there anything in particular you'd like know about, genres, studios, themes etc?

Original post by Aiko
Even though I'm currently in Japan, I'm ironically struggling to watch much anime because my husband and I have opted to stay in a hotel instead of with my family due to our daughter. We figured it would be easier.

However, the internet here is terrible. It's barely good enough to load pages, let alone download anything. Anime is shown on television, but I'm seldom around when anything airs. So, I've resorted to paying visits to my brother's place where I try to download as much as I can.

I'll admit that I'm enjoying all of these action sci-fi harem anime this season. :giggle: I guess, if I were to compare them to anything, they're like junk food. I feel guilty watching them, but it's so good (for me, anyway). :tongue:

That's a surprise, my initial thought of Japanese internet access in a hotel is that of high speed/quality, perhaps you're in the countryside? Either way, lucky you, I'd love to see Japan!
Welcome to TSR :smile: Is there anything in particular you'd like know about, genres, studios, themes etc?

Well I'd say I typically like psychological.. romance and action

But I don't really know much about the studios :sad:
Original post by Kuroki
Well I'd say I typically like psychological.. romance and action

But I don't really know much about the studios :sad:

No worries :smile: First thing that comes to mind in terms of romance and action might not be the most romantic but there's hints of it present in Full Metal Panic which is an action based anime involving a fair amount of mecha usage in conflict zones in a nut shell. The main character sort of leads a double life and things are hectic but really enjoyable, it's pretty good stuff although it's a little old now but there is a season one and two each about 23ish episodes and then there's a 13 or so episode series which takes place between season one and two, this one's a sort of romcom, slice of life type of series.

For action and psychological I'd say Black Lagoon is definitely an action packed series (it has two series and an ova) and if I remember correctly the main character as well as others do question themselves, their actions and those around them - it's based in a South American type setting of crime, the criminal lifestyle take is refreshingly unique for an anime.

Another one to mention regarding action would be Jormungand, it's also got two series and is based on criminal lifestyle but this time it's about an Arms Dealer called Koko Hekmatyr and her team - they travel the world doing business and there's plenty of action that takes place as well. The cast just like in Black Lagoon are refreshingly realistic in terms of development and story, they evolve and aren't generic - they genuinely each seem their own person.

I've not watched much romance but if there's something I'd recommend and I'm sure many others would too, it would have to be Clannad although chances are you've seen it, if so, the other work done by Kyoto Animation like Kanon might be worth checking out?

*Edit: Tonari no kaibutsu kun and Lovely Complex are awesome romances, once more they are very comedic and so very enjoyable but they're also quite different and touch on different things aside from just focusing on a couple and their relationship and so in that regard they're both great.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kuroki

Welcome to the society! :smile:

Based on what you've already seen and said you liked, I'd recommend Code Geass, Claymore and/or ef - a tale of memories. Or if you're looking for something that's new this season, Death Parade is of to a great start. :biggrin:

[EDIT] Or any of the above, beaten to it. :p:
(edited 9 years ago)
I will publish my results this week, promise!

I've decided to finish last seasons stuff and my xmas stuff at the expense of this season (bar Aldnoah Zero 2).

Speaking of Aldnoah Zero (s2)...

Spoiler

Can someone recommend a good action anime please?
Reply 8437
That's a surprise, my initial thought of Japanese internet access in a hotel is that of high speed/quality, perhaps you're in the countryside? Either way, lucky you, I'd love to see Japan!

Yeah, generally speaking, the internet access is better in Japan, certainly in households, but I guess I was just unlucky this time around. I was actually in Tokyo as well.

I'm from Japan, so I tend to pay a trip at least once a year to see family. I'm sure you'll have your opportunity to visit. I know it's almost every anime fan's dream to walk around Akiba. :tongue:
Original post by Red Fox
Can someone recommend a good action anime please?

Assuming you haven't already watched them, I'd recommend any of the following:

Baccano!

Basilisk

Ga-Rei -Zero-

Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra

Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis
Assuming you haven't already watched them, I'd recommend any of the following:

Baccano!

Basilisk

Ga-Rei -Zero-

Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra

Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis

Thanks, I've heard good things about Baccano before so I'll go with that.

I started watching Yowamushi Pedal and just got up to date. I have no idea whether I like or hate Midousuji:lol:.

Latest