Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

ReputationRep:
    An awful end to Tokyo Ghoul Root A, not that I expected anything different. Scares me that they showed the :re cafe at the end; they need to let this die before they butcher it some more. I can't imagine how the anime only viewers must feel after that. They're probably still wondering who the guy was that beat Kaneki up back in the prison. If you are an anime only viewer, then you should read the manga from chapter 1. Pierrot cut and changed plenty of it and it's actually a brilliant story that they haven't done justice to at all.

Just have to hope that one day in the future we get a remake of this that follows the manga. Madhouse pls.

ReputationRep:
    Tokyo Ghoul was an anticlimax all the way through for me.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I'm still waiting for Anime-Planet to update Tokyo Ghoul √A and Shirobako, I can't watch them if I can't update my list! :hmmm:

I have seen the final episodes of Akatsuki no Yona (needs a sequel!), Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu Love! (practically a perfect ending) and Parasyte (not bad at all), however. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Approaching episode 17 of Durarara!! REALLY enjoying it at the moment, thanks for the commendation AJ! I always laugh at the interaction between Shizou and Izaya.

Like Baccano, it's an manga/anime which seems to craft and develop pretty much every character, and plays with time and narration in really interesting ways. None of the characters seem, to me at least, reduced to mere plot devices, filler or props for a couple of central characters. Unlike Aldnoah... That said, as much as I often berate Aldnoah, I'm still watching it. For all its faults, the music is pretty ace!

Are there any animes similar to Durarara and Bacanno, perhaps in terms of character framing and development?

I stuck with Parasyte: The Maxim, and felt rewarded. I'm happy it didn't turn into a typical Shoenen where the protagonist aims to become stronger and stronger to defeat an endless stream of bad guys.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yes Shinichi gains some nifty skills when Migi repairs his heart, but he ends up losing snippets of his humanity which he attempts to re-build. I found that kind of refreshing. The anime could still do with a lot less of the internal monologue. I get why it's there, but I've already ascertained the fact that Shin is flipping his shet over Gotou like five scenes ago.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by El Nombre)
    Approaching episode 17 of Durarara!! REALLY enjoying it at the moment, thanks for the commendation AJ! I always laugh at the interaction between Shizou and Izaya.
    No problem!

(Original post by El Nombre)
    Are there any animes similar to Durarara and Bacanno, perhaps in terms of character framing and development?
    The series that springs to mind most is Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra. It's got a completely different plot, but a similar storytelling style to Baccano!, switching from character to character, and featuring a lot of flashbacks to past events. Not all the cast members are as well developed as those in Baccano!/Durarara!!, but those that do get developed are very interesting.

Monster also does a good job of telling a great story from the point of view of multiple characters, but bear in mind that it's longer and slower-paced, so it takes a while to get really good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I'm still waiting for Anime-Planet to update Tokyo Ghoul √A and Shirobako, I can't watch them if I can't update my list! :hmmm:

I have seen the final episodes of Akatsuki no Yona (needs a sequel!), Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu Love! (practically a perfect ending) and Parasyte (not bad at all), however. :yes:
    I think there definitely will be considering that the anime ended not even halfway through the manga :woo: Really one of the best this season in terms of the character development, and it was so refreshing having a female lead with some backbone, but who's behaviour was also realistic. Man I could just feel the tension between her and Hak :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...nounced/.86470

This has the potential to be really good, but at the same time I feel like we don't need anymore. Definitely watching it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60svW9uElXk
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by xDave-)
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...nounced/.86470

This has the potential to be really good, but at the same time I feel like we don't need anymore. Definitely watching it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60svW9uElXk
    Beat me to it. :p:

As well as the above-linked Steins;Gate follow up, Chaos;Child is also getting an anime (that's the fourth in the 'Science Adventure' series, after Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate and Robotics;Notes).

And from the same creator, Occultic;Nine is getting a game. And another visual novel, Anonymous;Code, is in the works. While not part of the same Science Adventure series, I hope they'll ride on its popularity and get anime series eventually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Chaos;Head and Robotics;Notes
    Are they worth watching? Don't seem to be rated particularly well there.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Chaos;Head started well, but fell apart more and more as it went along. I've no doubt the original VN had a great story, but at just 12 episodes the anime adaptation was rushed and the characters shallow and underdeveloped. I wouldn't recommend it highly.

Robotics;Notes was better than Chaos;Head from a character/pacing point of view, but it's certainly no Steins;Gate (though few series are quite that good). Slightly better than average IMO, worth the watch if the synopsis sounds interesting to you.

ReputationRep:
    :hello:

Last week I ended up watching all of "Good luck girl" in one day, which long times stalkers may recall is unusual for me as I usually take a lot of time*

Quite enjoyed it, but from the amazon cover on pre order a few months back I thought it was about some little girl bringing happiness to people as I didn't notice bewbs.

*I've been meaning to watch Part Two of Attack on Titan for a few months now. I've enjoyed the show, I've just tended to go to games/movies/TV shows and youtube :yes:

ReputationRep:
    :hi:

So, I quickly demolished through the list that AngryJellyfish recommended me, so now I'm on the hunt for some new recommendations
    I will try and get back on Anime-Planet so I can keep a list sometime!
    Thanks! :grin:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Binary Freak)

So, I quickly demolished through the list that AngryJellyfish recommended me, so now I'm on the hunt for some new recommendations

That was quick! :zomg: Hope you liked them all! If you're still willing to accept recommendations from the same old source, here's some more. :p:

Paradise Kiss

Natsu no Arashi

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia

Air

Gankutsuou (wildcard) *is actually just running out of romance series, but it is good*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binary Freak)

If you liked ef: A Tale of Memories then watch A Tale of Melodies. I also just finished Nagi no Asakura which I really liked.

ReputationRep:
    Chaos Head for me was simply amazing throughout.

"I didn't choose to have these powers. They were given to me. "
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    If you liked ef: A Tale of Memories then watch A Tale of Melodies. I also just finished Nagi no Asakura which I really liked.
    I'm torn between myanimelist, animeplanet and hibiscus. What do u use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    I'm torn between myanimelist, animeplanet and hibiscus. What do u use?
    I use myanimelist, I prefer the layout of the site to AP.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I use myanimelist, I prefer the layout of the site to AP.
    It was hummingbird I meant. https://hummingbird.me/ soz

Yea, I looked at quite a few threads and MAL polled higher . Hummingbird is tempting though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    It was hummingbird I meant. https://hummingbird.me/ soz

Yea, I looked at quite a few threads and MAL polled higher . Hummingbird is tempting though.
    That does look nice but a bit too fancy. I say go with MAL, it's fast, simple and you can customise your list in almost any way you want if you don't like the standard layout.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    That does look nice but a bit too fancy. I say go with MAL, it's fast, simple and you can customise your list in almost any way you want if you don't like the standard layout.
    True and can import into Hummingbird anyway. Can you check out my study blog plz?

Also, u can create ur own. Have you seen Steins Gate?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.