Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

ReputationRep:
    Ang Gundam fans here? I want to get into watching the series, but I'm not sure where to start and which viewing order is best. Which ones are worth watching and which ones aren't? I've been told SEED isn't that good but I'll probably end up watching it anyway for completion's sake.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    I just watched the first 2 episodes of Vampire Holmes and it is absolutely awful. Is that actually being broadcast on Japanese TV or is it just a web thing?
    Actually on TV, which is the scary part! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Had to abandon my plan to watch Busou Chuugakusei: Basket Army, as apparently the 5th and final episode isn't subbed.

I have watched the first episode of another short, Takamiya Nasuno Desu!, however. It's a spin-off of the amazing Teekyuu, and seems as though it'll be just as fast-paced and fun. I may leave the rest of the series until it's over though, and watch them back to back, as I usually do with Teekyuu.
    If it's a short, haven't you watched enough anime to get the gist of what they're talking about? Like I can't imagine there's much being said

It's not as bad (or good, depending on your love for Gintama) as MAL, Gintama takes up 5 of the top 10 spots.

Yeah that makes sense with regards to sequels. Gintama is well worth it in my opinion. The start is a bit slow but it just gets better and funnier the more you watch. I've been watching 1 or 2 episodes per day for about 2 and a half months but I might pick up the pace soon because of the new season.

I've decided to not watch any anime for the rest of the week though because I'm feeling burned out. Let's see how long I can last:lol:.
    How many episodes have you watched so far?
    After being reminded about it I went back to watch it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ki Yung Na)
    If it's a short, haven't you watched enough anime to get the gist of what they're talking about? Like I can't imagine there's much being said

How many episodes have you watched so far?
    After being reminded about it I went back to watch it
    Just watched episode 87, the arc with Sougo's sister. What episode are you on? I've watched the first 2 episodes of the currently airing series and the second one was hilarious. (My anime hiatus lasted 1 day:lol:, but I'm only watching like 2 episodes total per day at the moment).

ReputationRep:
    Just watched episode 87, the arc with Sougo's sister. What episode are you on? I've watched the first 2 episodes of the currently airing series and the second one was hilarious. (My anime hiatus lasted 1 day:lol:, but I'm only watching like 2 episodes total per day at the moment).
    That was a decent arc
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Her fiancée

I'm 100 episodes ahead of you, incidentally - it was an arc also about Sougo. I've stormed through a bunch of episodes in this last week. I'm surprised you can moderate how much gintama you watch!

My habit is that I'll watch loads of episodes in one go then take a really long break and go back to it a nearly a year or so later; no wonder I've managed to stretch watching it since January of 2012.

ReputationRep:
    That was a decent arc
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Her fiancée

I'm 100 episodes ahead of you, incidentally - it was an arc also about Sougo. I've stormed through a bunch of episodes in this last week. I'm surprised you can moderate how much gintama you watch!

My habit is that I'll watch loads of episodes in one go then take a really long break and go back to it a nearly a year or so later; no wonder I've managed to stretch watching it since January of 2012.
    Yeah Sougo and Hijikata are my favourite characters so I enjoyed it. I'd love a short spin-off series with the Shinsengumi as the main characters.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Sougo and Hijikata are my favourite characters so I enjoyed it. I'd love a short spin-off series with the Shinsengumi as the main characters.
    Mayo Mayo! Mayorin
    The shinsengumi is pretty awesome - I find it hilarious how Hijikata is still considered badass (188) even though he's had so many uncool appearances; guess the idea of form is temporary and class is permanent can be applied here. You've not been to Yoshiwara yet have you? I make it sound like you're living in the gintama set but that's how good it is at drawing fans in - don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    Mayo Mayo! Mayorin
    The shinsengumi is pretty awesome - I find it hilarious how Hijikata is still considered badass (188) even though he's had so many uncool appearances; guess the idea of form is temporary and class is permanent can be applied here. You've not been to Yoshiwara yet have you? I make it sound like you're living in the gintama set but that's how good it is at drawing fans in - don't you think?
    It's great how the show can go from comedy to serious/feels in the same episode and not feel awkward at all. Hijikata is just a boss, I don't think he'd be half as cool with a different voice actor though.

Nah I don't think I've got to that bit yet.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I probably could TBH, I watched most of Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino raw back when it wasn't subbed (though I had read the manga already so knew what was going on). :p:

ReputationRep:
    I watched Wolf Children last night and thought it was amazing. I haven't watched many anime films but this has convinced me to watch more so any recommendations would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I watched Wolf Children last night and thought it was amazing. I haven't watched many anime films but this has convinced me to watch more so any recommendations would be appreciated.
    All of the One Piece movies
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Here's a few of my favourites:

Tokyo Godfathers

Giovanni's Island

They Were Eleven

Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind

Sword of the Stranger

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdwardElric)
    Ang Gundam fans here? I want to get into watching the series, but I'm not sure where to start and which viewing order is best. Which ones are worth watching and which ones aren't? I've been told SEED isn't that good but I'll probably end up watching it anyway for completion's sake.
    If you're looking to get into the main timeline of Gundam (Universal Century) I'd probably recommend starting with the 3 compilation films of the original 0079 TV series or the 0080 War in the Pocket OVA or the 08th MS Team OVA before moving onto the Zeta TV series.

If you're looking to sample one of the AU Gundam shows that's pretty self contained and easy to watch I'd probably recommend Gundam Wing (it's my favourite) or G Gundam (which is hilarious). SEED is okay (the characters are a bit obnoxious), but SEED Destiny is an absolute trainwreck of a show that I really couldn't recommend to anyone. Gundam 00 is also pretty fun for the most part, but again the second season was a bit of a disaster.

Of the more recent Gundam series I have to say that Gundam Build Fighters is fecking amazing, but having a few Gundam shows under your belt first massively ups the enjoyment factor. It is a show that is made by fans for fans of the franchise and is full of homages and Easter eggs. Gundam AGE was very decent, until it took a nosedive in the 3rd act and ended on a bad note.

Avoid Gundam G no Reconguista like the plague - worst show I have seen in a while, it made absolutely no sense at all! May also want to skip Turn A Gundam until you've seen some Universal Century shows - ditto for Gundam Unicorn - both are excellent and mostly stand alone, but do make more sense if you have some understanding of Universal Century events.

Hope that helps a bit! I do enjoy Gundam :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Cheers AJ, I would rep you but it seems I do it too often:lol:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caraniel)
    If you're looking to get into the main timeline of Gundam (Universal Century) I'd probably recommend starting with the 3 compilation films of the original 0079 TV series or the 0080 War in the Pocket OVA or the 08th MS Team OVA before moving onto the Zeta TV series.

If you're looking to sample one of the AU Gundam shows that's pretty self contained and easy to watch I'd probably recommend Gundam Wing (it's my favourite) or G Gundam (which is hilarious). SEED is okay (the characters are a bit obnoxious), but SEED Destiny is an absolute trainwreck of a show that I really couldn't recommend to anyone. Gundam 00 is also pretty fun for the most part, but again the second season was a bit of a disaster.

Of the more recent Gundam series I have to say that Gundam Build Fighters is fecking amazing, but having a few Gundam shows under your belt first massively ups the enjoyment factor. It is a show that is made by fans for fans of the franchise and is full of homages and Easter eggs. Gundam AGE was very decent, until it took a nosedive in the 3rd act and ended on a bad note.

Avoid Gundam G no Reconguista like the plague - worst show I have seen in a while, it made absolutely no sense at all! May also want to skip Turn A Gundam until you've seen some Universal Century shows - ditto for Gundam Unicorn - both are excellent and mostly stand alone, but do make more sense if you have some understanding of Universal Century events.

Hope that helps a bit! I do enjoy Gundam :giggle:
    Wow! Thank you for the help! You do know your Gundam.

I was thinking of starting with Universal Century, so I'll check out the movies. I was just thinking of starting with the first series but I wasn't sure. It seems a little confusing but I think I'll try to follow the Universal Century for now. Mecha is a genre I want to watch more of and Gundam seems to be the Holy Grail of mecha anime.

ReputationRep:
    Wow! Thank you for the help! You do know your Gundam.

I was thinking of starting with Universal Century, so I'll check out the movies. I was just thinking of starting with the first series but I wasn't sure. It seems a little confusing but I think I'll try to follow the Universal Century for now. Mecha is a genre I want to watch more of and Gundam seems to be the Holy Grail of mecha anime.
    I was struggling to get through the TV series for the original series, so just watched the compilation movies - they're pretty good actually. Getting into UC is a bit daunting, my gateway series was actually Gundam Wing way back in the 90s, I didn't actually bother with UC stuff until about 4-5 years ago.

The chronological order for UC is:

0079 - Original series
    0080 - War in the Pocket & 08th MS Team OVA's (take place during original series, but focus on events happening elsewhere - can be skipped, but they are well worth watching)
    0083 - Stardust Memory OVA (bridges gap between end of original show & Zeta)
    Zeta TV series
    ZZ TV series (can safely be skipped - it is not good. At all.)
    Char's Counterattack movie
    F91 movie
    Gundam Unicorn

ReputationRep:
    I was struggling to get through the TV series for the original series, so just watched the compilation movies - they're pretty good actually. Getting into UC is a bit daunting, my gateway series was actually Gundam Wing way back in the 90s, I didn't actually bother with UC stuff until about 4-5 years ago.

The chronological order for UC is:

0079 - Original series
    0080 - War in the Pocket & 08th MS Team OVA's (take place during original series, but focus on events happening elsewhere - can be skipped, but they are well worth watching)
    0083 - Stardust Memory OVA (bridges gap between end of original show & Zeta)
    Zeta TV series
    ZZ TV series (can safely be skipped - it is not good. At all.)
    Char's Counterattack movie
    F91 movie
    Gundam Unicorn
    I'll keep that in mind. I might just start with an unrelated one to UC just to get a feel for the series. Gurren Lagann is another mecha I want to start once I finish Evangelion, but I've been told to watch a 6 part OVA called Gunbuster before that (I think they relate in some way?).

ReputationRep:
    I'll keep that in mind. I might just start with an unrelated one to UC just to get a feel for the series. Gurren Lagann is another mecha I want to start once I finish Evangelion, but I've been told to watch a 6 part OVA called Gunbuster before that (I think they relate in some way?).
    The AU Gundams all have their own vibe - but you get the general Sunrise Gundam feel from the majority of them.

Gurren Lagann is brilliant - definitely one of my all time favs. Gunbuster is completely unrelated, but it is from the same Studio so shares a lot of similar themes. Gunbuster 2 (more commonly known as Diebuster) is probably more similar though as it has a similar animation style to TTGL.

I'm a bit of a mecha fan so if you want any other recs just ask!

ReputationRep:
    The AU Gundams all have their own vibe - but you get the general Sunrise Gundam feel from the majority of them.

Gurren Lagann is brilliant - definitely one of my all time favs. Gunbuster is completely unrelated, but it is from the same Studio so shares a lot of similar themes. Gunbuster 2 (more commonly known as Diebuster) is probably more similar though as it has a similar animation style to TTGL.

I'm a bit of a mecha fan so if you want any other recs just ask!
    Thanks! I might just start TTGL after I finish Evangelion then. Although I'll look into the NGE movies as well since I've heard the ending was unsatsisfying for some. Patlabor is another one I've heard good things about.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    :tumble:

The new Lupin III will now apparently be airing in the Autumn... no news on Digimon Adventure Tri until May, though.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.