Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

• Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    What didn't you like about it? I think it's alright, nothing amazing but still decent.
    It appeared to take forever to get to the point. I may watch the movie at some point but it wasn't my cup of tea. A waste of time imo :/.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    It appeared to take forever to get to the point. I may watch the movie at some point but it wasn't my cup of tea. A waste of time imo :/.
    I can agree with that. The characters' motivations all seemed really flimsy too. I haven't bothered with the movie. Shaft's animation was great though.

Watch Code Geass if you still want an anime with a good dub (I watched it subbed so the dub is a second hand recommendation).

ReputationRep:
    YOO! anyone know of any good animes WITHOUT male protagonists cuz good god, I always believe they act SO GODDAMN STUPID UGH! if you've watched any anime you might know what I mean man... so ya. oh and maybe say if the shows underrated , overrated and your general opinion
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ani666)
    YOO! anyone know of any good animes WITHOUT male protagonists cuz good god, I always believe they act SO GODDAMN STUPID UGH! if you've watched any anime you might know what I mean man... so ya. oh and maybe say if the shows underrated , overrated and your general opinion
    Here's a few general recommendations for series without male protagonists, but if you've already seen them, or if there are any particular types of series/genre you prefer then let me know and I'll try again.

Seirei no Moribito - Beautifully animated, and the female protagonist Balsa is a brilliant character. :yes:

Kemono no Souja Erin - Horribly overlooked and underrated in my opinion, and one of my Top 50 anime series of all time.

Haibane Renmei - A slice of life series with a dark and interesting setting, and a great soundtrack.

Kino no Tabi - Possibly a bit of a spoiler, but if we're listing great series without male protagonists, I can't leave this out.

Akatsuki no Yona - A decent series that I'd highly recommend, but it ended on a cliffhanger, and a sequel hasn't been announced yet. :s:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yesterday, I was zapping through the channels and I have found an anime accidentally and it was one of the saddest one I have ever watched: The grave of the fireflies.

For every single one who does not know this anime here is a description and here is a trailer to that anime:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ani666)
    I'd second AJ's recs and I'll throw out a few more:

Skip Beat
    The Twelve Kingdoms
    Kuragehime
    Chihayafuru
    Jormungand
    Humanity Has Declined
    Gatchaman Crowds
    Watamote
    Kill la Kill
    Psycho-Pass
    Shirobako
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Yesterday, I was zapping through the channels and I have found an anime accidentally and it was one of the saddest one I have ever watched: The grave of the fireflies.

For every single one who does not know this anime here is a description and here is a trailer to that anime:

One of the few movies in my Top 50 anime list, and also my favourite Studio Ghibli film, even if it is far different in tone from most of the studio's other, mostly happier works. I must have seen it three times at least, and even knowing what's going to happen, I always cry. :sadnod:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    One of the few movies in my Top 50 anime list, and also my favourite Studio Ghibli film, even if it is far different in tone from most of the studio's other, mostly happier works. I must have seen it three times at least, and even knowing what's going to happen, I always cry. :sadnod:
    I have watched the film for the first time, really. And although I don't know what will happen at the end, I know that it does not come to an happy end. The bad ending was so clear and predictable, nevertheless it was sad, sad and so seriously. That was the saddest moment for me:

Spoiler:
    Show

EDIT: As it is spoiler for many members who have not watched this anime, this scene was disguised by myself.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I have watched the film for the first time, really. And although I don't know what will happen at the end, I know that it does not come to an happy end. The bad ending was so clear and predictable, nevertheless it was sad, sad and so seriously. That was the saddest moment for me:
    Sorry, would you mind spoiler-tagging that video? The title is a bit of a give away for anyone who hasn't seen it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Sorry, would you mind spoiler-tagging that video? The title is a bit of a give away for anyone who hasn't seen it.
    No problem, and you are right, this scene has to be spoiler-tagged. Thanks to you!

The only one what can I say about this anime film without to spoil is that I have not watched such a melancholic Ghibli anime so far. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:

NOOOOOO just when i forgot about it
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SkittleLover)
    NOOOOOO just when i forgot about it
    I must admit that the anime was sad (even possibly the saddest what I watched) and yeah it has had created a melancholic mood during watching it. Right, it was heartbreaking and the destiny of these two siblings was incredibly bad, but nonetheless I was not crying. Am I too emotionalless by any chance?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Well, it's been a while since I've posted here. In fact, I don't think I've posted since the last season of anime aired. I'll try and keep this succinct. Knowing me, I'm going to fail miserably.

I was looking forward to Arslan Senki because of the manga author behind it, Hiromo. She's mostly known for FMA and Gin no Saji. I remember reading on Animeanime.jp some time back that she was planning to start her own adaptation of the Arslan Senki novel series, which is something of a classic in Japan, and knew, even back then, that it would probably receive an anime of its own at some point. However, I wasn't expecting a joint collaboration from Sanzigen and Lindenfilms, especially considering that I'm not too familiar with the latter. I was hoping for a more established studio like Madhouse to tackle this, but there you go... So far, it's proven to live up to expectations for me. It's covered a lot of ground and it's nice to see some conscious and almost proactive development for our protagonist... A 'coming of age', if you will.

The second season of Baby Steps has continued where the first left off and I've been enjoying it so far. It's an unusual series for its genre because it's less dramatic, and this is largely due to its protagonist that's far more tempered and methodical than what you'd normally expect from a sport shounen lead. And that's precisely why the series has proven so popular. His data driven approach, coupled with his likeable personality, is really fun to watch, and it conforms to realism. Most sport shounen stay true to the genre by adding a tinge of magic where they go beyond the realms of realism to make it more fun to watch, and this is something I definitely support and enjoy, but it's precisely the fact that Baby Steps doesn't that makes it refreshing. The animation is far from flashy either, dated even, but it doesn't have to rely on it. That said, I couldn't place this alongside the likes of Major or Hajime no Ippo, or even Kuroko's Basketball, because while it excels at what it does, and I appreciate it for that, it does lack that, um... sensationalism of its contemporaries. Not sure if that's the right word, but I went for it, anyway.

I was optimistic when I read the premise for Denpa Kyoushi because of its semblance to the amazing Great Teacher Onizuka. Sadly, it's become quite apparent that it won't match the latter series and honestly I wasn't expecting it to, so I'm enjoying it for what it is. Admittedly, I was expecting more from A-1. The character design is a bit too generic and almost sloppy for my liking, but this might be attributed to staying faithful to the character design of the manga, so I won't condemn A-1 too harshly for that. The first few episodes started off well and I liked where it was heading, but it's kind of deviated down a rather directionless route that's rather episodic where seemingly anything can happen. That's fine, but I was hoping for something a bit more substantial. The main character, barring his initial design, is rather hollow and something of a Gary Stu in terms of how he handles the situation. The wonderful thing about Onizuka was that it was clear he was flawed from the very beginning and the way he handled situations felt natural and believable. Whereas, Kagami seems overly scripted when he gives his speeches, and the response is way too contrived from the characters he's speaking to. In fact, everything about this series is a little contrived, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad thing. It's enjoyable enough and something I'll keep on.

The second season of ufotable's Fate/stay night UBW is nothing short of amazing. I have to say, in terms of all round production, ufotable is quickly becoming one of my favourite studios, right up there alongside Production I.G. It's just on another level sometimes, and it's hard to believe this is for TV, not a film or an OVA. The art direction is simply sublime and I can't really fault it. It helps that I'm something of a fan of the Fate series too. I'm particularly appreciating the extra content they're adding that didn't appear in the visual novel or the previous film adaptation of the UBW route. So far, one of the best of the season.

Shokugeki no Souma is awesome, simply put. Easily in my top three for the season so far. It's just so wonderfully insane and reminiscent of Yakitate!! Japan, which I absolutely loved when it aired. That said, it takes it a few steps further and I'd say, assuming it continues with the momentum it's currently maintaining, that it might even surpass Yakitate!! Japan as my favourite food shounen. J.C Staff are doing an excellent job too, which helps. I find it amusing that the character designer used to produce hentai, which certainly benefits during the "food orgasms". It's just a fun series and it helps that the protagonist is competent, even seemingly a Gary Stu of sorts, but there is always a lingering feeling that he'll eventually meet his match at some point.

Ok, I was intending to write a summary of every anime I'm watching (around 20 or so), but my stamina is already waining, so I'm going to call it quits here.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Ok, I was intending to write a summary of every anime I'm watching (around 20 or so), but my stamina is already waining, so I'm going to call it quits here.
    As I mentioned on the previous page, Arslan Senki is by far one of my favourite series airing this season. Despite my worries about the studios involved (I'd also hoped that a bigger name would end up adapting it), and the dubious CG in the opening scenes of the first episode, it's looked brilliant since that! The writing and the characters so far have been great, too.

Unlimited Blade Works is once again a love-hate series for me. So much good material in the second and third episodes of this continuation, but it was fragmented and rushed, almost incomprehensible to someone who hasn't read the visual novel or watched the film (is that where I've gone wrong, jumping into this having only watched Deen's first Fate series and Fate/Zero?). Whereas in the fourth episode, the pacing slowed right down in order to focus on Shiro and Rin's inane chatter and flirting. I know they're the main characters, but with everything else going on in this Grail War proving much more interesting (to me at least), I can't help but feel the director has gotten their priorities wrong!

Shokugeki no Souma, I like, as it is reminiscent of Yakitate!! Japan. So far it hasn't 'wowed' me though, the food reactions that served as the highlight of Yakitate!! aren't quite as over the top or drawn out (despite the fact they're being given more focus in the anime than they are in the manga, according to a few people I know who've read it). It's still very early days though, so hopefully I'll start to like it more now that more characters have been introduced. Tougher cooking assignments spanning more than one episode is the kind of thing I'm hoping to see soon.

I had a look at your Anime-Planet list to see how many of the season's other series we're both watching... quite a few, as was inevitable with both of us following about 20. Though Show By Rock!! is a glaring omission from your lineup. :p:

The sequel to Sidonia no Kishi is about tied with Arslan for first place, though I won't go into any detail on that since you haven't actually marked any episodes as watched. Kekkai Sensen has so much style, though I'll admit to not knowing what's going on half the time while watching it - you can tell it has the same director as Kyousougiga. :p: I've found that Plastic Memories manages to hit a great balance between drama and comedy so far. Ore Monogatari!! is just adorable.

About the only other series that I feel warrants a comment is Hibike! Euphonium, which has impressed me so far by bucking the trend in generic school club anime where the club is either united in their obsessession with reaching a certain goal, or a laid back club with no purpose other than having fun. Having different characters possess different levels of enthusiasm in a club where large numbers and teamwork are paramount has made things far more realistic and interesting than I expected. :yes:

ReputationRep:

I hope I don’t sound too heartless but I thought The GRave of the fireflies was refreshingly good so much so that I wasn’t sad in a depressed kind of way. I think I might need to watch it again soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ki Yung Na)
    I hope I don’t sound too heartless but I thought The GRave of the fireflies was refreshingly good so much so that I wasn’t sad in a depressed kind of way. I think I might need to watch it again soon.
    The Shinsengumi Crisis arc of Gintama is amazing. The Owee episodes are hilarious. I'm finally in the 100s now:woo:. Have you been watching any more?

ReputationRep:
    The Shinsengumi Crisis arc of Gintama is amazing. The Owee episodes are hilarious. I'm finally in the 100s now:woo:. Have you been watching any more?
    Yay! I had to search the Owee one - rofl, I started chuckling once I remembered it was the Wii arc (Zura ja nai, katsuo desu).

I’m at 248 and boy has there been so much awesomeness in fact I just watched a Shinsengumi arc too and it was also hilariously good.

I’m really worried about running out of episodes though! I think it’s time I stop so I can get on with exam prep as I’ve nearly watched it every day since you reminded me of it

ReputationRep:
    Yay! I had to search the Owee one - rofl, I started chuckling once I remembered it was the Wii arc (Zura ja nai, katsuo desu).

I’m at 248 and boy has there been so much awesomeness in fact I just watched a Shinsengumi arc too and it was also hilariously good.

I’m really worried about running out of episodes though! I think it’s time I stop so I can get on with exam prep as I’ve nearly watched it every day since you reminded me of it
    Well there's the 3 recap movies (Benizakura, Shinsengumi Crisis and some other arc) and there are new episodes every Wednesday for the foreseeable future, apparently the manga is quite far ahead so this currently airing series could easily be 50+ episodes.

ReputationRep:
    Well there's the 3 recap movies (Benizakura, Shinsengumi Crisis and some other arc) and there are new episodes every Wednesday for the foreseeable future, apparently the manga is quite far ahead so this currently airing series could easily be 50+ episodes.
    You’re right about that, apparentely some estimates say there’s enough material for another 100 episodes My fear is because I really don’t want to have to be doing the waiting each week. lol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No, you do not sound heartless. I can understand your point of view, its the uncommon seriousness of an anime like the grave of the fireflies which makes this one in comparison to another ones so refreshingly. Its not fantasy, its not a happy end, its just an anime about reality and sadness.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.