Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Unlimited Blade Works is once again a love-hate series for me. So much good material in the second and third episodes of this continuation, but it was fragmented and rushed, almost incomprehensible to someone who hasn't read the visual novel or watched the film (is that where I've gone wrong, jumping into this having only watched Deen's first Fate series and Fate/Zero?). Whereas in the fourth episode, the pacing slowed right down in order to focus on Shiro and Rin's inane chatter and flirting. I know they're the main characters, but with everything else going on in this Grail War proving much more interesting (to me at least), I can't help but feel the director has gotten their priorities wrong!
    I haven't played the VN, but here's what I understand it as: the VN has 3 routes and UBW is the second. You're supposed to have played the first route, Fate, before this. The UBW anime is also leaving out lots of long information dumps that we get in the VN. You're not supposed to have seen Fate Zero. Also, Deen's series and movie are the same stories, just with different animators. They messed up the series by merging the routes together though. Don't bother with those.

However, if you haven't played the Fate route, you can still get a lot of what you need to know from watching Fate Zero, so you should be understanding what's happening. Where are you lost?

I won't disagree that the ShirouxRin stuff is tiresome as ****, but the VN is an eroge, after all. This is very toned down from what you see when you play it (I think the sex scenes are into double figures). If you expect UBW to be like Fate Zero then don't, as FZ was written by someone else and it has a very different tone. Heaven's Feel, the third route which is being made into a movie (probably several like Kara no Kyoukai) after UBW is more like FZ though. I'm assured UBW is more FZ-esque from now on though.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    As I mentioned on the previous page, Arslan Senki is by far one of my favourite series airing this season. Despite my worries about the studios involved (I'd also hoped that a bigger name would end up adapting it), and the dubious CG in the opening scenes of the first episode, it's looked brilliant since that! The writing and the characters so far have been great, too.
    Haha, dubious is definitely the right word to describe the CG in that opening scene. :giggle: But yeah, so far it's right up there for me this season.

Unlimited Blade Works is once again a love-hate series for me. So much good material in the second and third episodes of this continuation, but it was fragmented and rushed, almost incomprehensible to someone who hasn't read the visual novel or watched the film (is that where I've gone wrong, jumping into this having only watched Deen's first Fate series and Fate/Zero?). Whereas in the fourth episode, the pacing slowed right down in order to focus on Shiro and Rin's inane chatter and flirting. I know they're the main characters, but with everything else going on in this Grail War proving much more interesting (to me at least), I can't help but feel the director has gotten their priorities wrong!
    Hmm, I know what you mean. The pacing is a bit off, but I'm willing to overlook that because everything else is beyond reproach, at least for me. As for whether reading the visual novel or watching the film will help, probably. It's one of the few visual novels I've actually played myself, so perhaps the pacing is less noticeable because I can accommodate this with what I already know of the story line. This might also explain why I'm more appreciative of the extra content they've included.

Shokugeki no Souma, I like, as it is reminiscent of Yakitate!! Japan. So far it hasn't 'wowed' me though, the food reactions that served as the highlight of Yakitate!! aren't quite as over the top or drawn out (despite the fact they're being given more focus in the anime than they are in the manga, according to a few people I know who've read it). It's still very early days though, so hopefully I'll start to like it more now that more characters have been introduced. Tougher cooking assignments spanning more than one episode is the kind of thing I'm hoping to see soon.
    Yeah, regarding the food reactions, I've read that they've embellished those scenes, and many manga readers actually like the additional sequences they've included. I know what you mean, though... It is drawn out, but it's obviously deliberate. It's all tongue and cheek, in that sense. My only concern is that they won't be able to top what we've already seen and the reactions will start to become repetitive.

I had a look at your Anime-Planet list to see how many of the season's other series we're both watching... quite a few, as was inevitable with both of us following about 20. Though Show By Rock!! is a glaring omission from your lineup. :p:
    Show By Rock!!, eh? I didn't even bother to watch the trailer/PV for that. Given my time constraints, I can only pick up so much. That said, if you're recommending it, I will watch it.

The sequel to Sidonia no Kishi is about tied with Arslan for first place, though I won't go into any detail on that since you haven't actually marked any episodes as watched. Kekkai Sensen has so much style, though I'll admit to not knowing what's going on half the time while watching it - you can tell it has the same director as Kyousougiga. :p: I've found that Plastic Memories manages to hit a great balance between drama and comedy so far. Ore Monogatari!! is just adorable.
    Yeah, remarkably I have yet to watch a single episode of the Sidonia no Kishi sequel, something I'm planning to rectify either today or tomorrow. I just haven't gotten around to it, but given how much I enjoyed the first season, I'm expecting big things.

Kekkai Sensen has failed to keep me interested. I've only seen the first few episodes, but it was definitely stylish, as you say. Another one to play catch up on this weekend.

Plastic Memories is one I wanted to cover in my earlier post. I agree with everything you've said. I can't really fault the anime too much, and the cliffhanger during the last episode I've seen was rather ominous, which suggests the series might take a darker turn.

About the only other series that I feel warrants a comment is Hibike! Euphonium, which has impressed me so far by bucking the trend in generic school club anime where the club is either united in their obsessession with reaching a certain goal, or a laid back club with no purpose other than having fun. Having different characters possess different levels of enthusiasm in a club where large numbers and teamwork are paramount has made things far more realistic and interesting than I expected. :yes:
    Yeah, this is arguably one of the best series I'm watching. I've always been a big fan of KyoAni, despite opting to cover material that appeases a particular demographic of anime viewer in recent years. Hibike! Euphonium, on the other hand, has so much substance, both in terms of plot and character development. It's relatively simple, but it's been handled notably well. Not to mention, the animation is really something else. I guess you should expect nothing less from KyoAni, but even for them, some of the background artwork was incredible, especially during that woodland scene. :yes:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by xDave-)
    I haven't played the VN, but here's what I understand it as: the VN has 3 routes and UBW is the second. You're supposed to have played the first route, Fate, before this. The UBW anime is also leaving out lots of long information dumps that we get in the VN. You're not supposed to have seen Fate Zero. Also, Deen's series and movie are the same stories, just with different animators. They messed up the series by merging the routes together though. Don't bother with those.

However, if you haven't played the Fate route, you can still get a lot of what you need to know from watching Fate Zero, so you should be understanding what's happening. Where are you lost?

I won't disagree that the ShirouxRin stuff is tiresome as ****, but the VN is an eroge, after all. This is very toned down from what you see when you play it (I think the sex scenes are into double figures). If you expect UBW to be like Fate Zero then don't, as FZ was written by someone else and it has a very different tone. Heaven's Feel, the third route which is being made into a movie (probably several like Kara no Kyoukai) after UBW is more like FZ though. I'm assured UBW is more FZ-esque from now on though.
    I'm aware that Zero is a separate novel written by the Urobutcher, that there are three routes in the VN, and that the Studio Deen series was a mess (though at least it introduced the characters well enough, so between that and Zero I had a decent understanding of the Grail War and its rules).

What annoys me about this second TV series of UBW so far is that the good parts from the second and third episodes:

Spoiler:
    Show
    The flashback to Caster's previous master, and flashbacks for Ilya and Berserker

were just so rushed. They're very much made to feel like undeveloped side characters (which may be all the development they get in the VN, for all I know), while Rin and Shiro get more air time than they really need, and still feel as though they're hardly developing either.

I think Zero may have spoiled it for me by doing such a good job of telling the story of all the different master/servant pairs. But even if I stop comparing UBW with Zero, we're still left with a show that (again, only in my opinion) consists almost entirely of boring and/or undeveloped characters talking about boring things, with the occasional beautifully animated action scene (those scenes being the reason I've stuck with it until now). At least the VN had the sex scenes to break up the monotony! :p:

I remain hopeful that the series will appeal more to my interests now that we're approaching the end, though.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Caster, I like a lot, and I look forward to finding out how Rin and Shiro will possibly triumph against her group of servants. I only hope that any fights last a bit longer than Gilgamesh vs Berserker!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Show By Rock!!, eh? I didn't even bother to watch the trailer/PV for that. Given my time constraints, I can only pick up so much. That said, if you're recommending it, I will watch it.
    I wouldn't say it's a must-watch, it's been placing around the middle of my blog's weekly rankings. It is a lot of fun though, the characters are brilliant, and the weird chibi music scenes feature some of the best 3D animation I've seen in anime so far. Looks like it's designed to sell figurines, though. :p:

From the first episode:

Oh, and even Cara didn't hate it despite the cute chibi animal people. That has to intrigue you, right? :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    I must admit that the anime was sad (even possibly the saddest what I watched) and yeah it has had created a melancholic mood during watching it. Right, it was heartbreaking and the destiny of these two siblings was incredibly bad, but nonetheless I was not crying. Am I too emotionalless by any chance?
    Nahhh you aren't, i didn't really cry ( despite the picture haha ) it was really upsetting but it did show how Japan was effected by the war, it showed us that war is never really a good thing in the end because both side kinda lose.

ReputationRep:
    I just finished Steins;Gate, I haven't enjoyed an anime this much in quite a while. It just got better and better every episode, and even if the ending wasn't the best in my opinion, the whole second half had me quite literally on the edge of my seat. Absolutely brilliant.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SkittleLover)
    Nahhh you aren't, i didn't really cry ( despite the picture haha ) it was really upsetting but it did show how Japan was effected by the war, it showed us that war is never really a good thing in the end because both side kinda lose.
    That is the view of the majority, I guess. But in an interview, Akiyuki Nosata, who has written the script, has revealed his true intention, namely to show the spectators - especially in Japan - up, that the way of the young generation living as a lone fighter independent on people has to be failed. That was the attitude of many young Japanese at this time when the anime was aired. And that is why Nosata wanted to teach this generation a lesson. So the World War II and the shown living conditions were nothing more than a plausible facade to convey his message.

ReputationRep:
    What are people's opinions on the latest Plastic Memories episode?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I really hope Isla wasn't hit, although it will be interesting to see where the plot goes if she was!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Nidfeo)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I really hope Isla wasn't hit, although it will be interesting to see where the plot goes if she was!
    I just watched it...

Spoilers for episode 5 of Plastic Memories
    I can't see them killing off Isla at this early stage in the series, surely making Tsukasa deal with having to say goodbye to her once her time comes to an end would make for a more emotional ending. Still, it would make for an interesting plot twist if she was hit! :eek:

A great episode all around, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nidfeo)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Just watched it, that was a great episode.

Plastic Memories:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I doubt they'd kill off a main character after 5 episodes. ****'s getting serious now though.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by EdwardElric)
    I just finished Steins;Gate, I haven't enjoyed an anime this much in quite a while. It just got better and better every episode, and even if the ending wasn't the best in my opinion, the whole second half had me quite literally on the edge of my seat. Absolutely brilliant.
    I saw the first couple of episodes on Netflix and got a bit bored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    I saw the first couple of episodes on Netflix and got a bit bored.
    I agree, it does have a fairly slow start, but it's one of those shows that gets better and better each episode. I'd say around episode 9 it gets really good, and after episode 12 I was completely hooked. Mind you, I wasn't bored by the first few episodes, I think they work well in setting up what happens next, since the second half is one hell of a rollercoaster.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Recommendations based on the following which I like:

Welcome to the NHK
    Usagi Drop
    Azumangah Daioh
    Kill me Baby

Slice of life/comedy is my thing. :yy:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by MrDystopia)

Welcome to the NHK
    Usagi Drop
    Azumangah Daioh
    Kill me Baby

Nichijou is the king of 4-koma comedy for me, I cannot recommend this strongly enough. Here's a few other suggestions, though:

Barakamon

Lucky Star

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Genshiken

ReputationRep:

Welcome to the NHK
    Usagi Drop
    Azumangah Daioh
    Kill me Baby

Nichijou
    Wolf Children (movie)
    Barakamon

EDIT: Got beat to two of them already.

Other good slice of life shows:
    Clannad
    Hyouka
    Gin no Saji
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Study Helper

Welcome to the NHK
    Usagi Drop
    Azumangah Daioh
    Kill me Baby

Lucky Star! :woo:

Goes down as my favourite anime ever :awesome:

Would highly, highly recommend Clannad, Clannad After Stories, Kanon (2006) and Air TV. I've never been more moved than those 4 series :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Finally finished Attack on Titan and Space Dandy just recently. Still not watching much, but my DVD/BR backlog continues to grow.

Picked up a few bargains off of amazon- Kill la Kill pt.1, Durarara and Un-Go.

For my fellow collection nerds the DRRR blu ray set is £23.50 at the moment- for months I've seen it hover around £48-70 so I thought I'd let y'all know :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Just started Usagi Drop, a very lovely and heartwarming show so far. Lots of cute and funny moments, I'm sure I'll enjoy it a lot. Also, great opening and ending songs.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody else watched the trailer to Noragami season 2?
    It was so epic! I cant wait for it now! It looks like it'll be one heated season with soooo many feels!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Truered)
    Finally finished Attack on Titan and Space Dandy just recently. Still not watching much, but my DVD/BR backlog continues to grow.

Picked up a few bargains off of amazon- Kill la Kill pt.1, Durarara and Un-Go.

For my fellow collection nerds the DRRR blu ray set is £23.50 at the moment- for months I've seen it hover around £48-70 so I thought I'd let y'all know :yes:
    You don't happen to know if there's a Region 2 Blu-Ray/DVD (or region free) release of English-subbed Lucky Star do you? I remember having a look about 3/4 years ago and not digging anything up

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.