Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    The full OP theme for Owari no Seraph is out. :coma: Definitely my favourite theme of the season, and probably the only thing this slow-paced, generic series has going for it at this point, though I have decided to keep it on - should be entertaining once the action finally starts, I hope.

Thanks everyone for the feedback on the other Spring shows I asked for about a week ago - I did end up watching a couple more episodes of Denpa Kyoushi, but it did nothing for me. Just too similar to Ansatsu Kyoushítsu, while nowhere near as good. Yamada-kun was alright, but not much better than anything else I was already watching. And I gave Punch Line a second shot at the recommendation of a friend on Facebook... nope, still bad.

In the end, sorry to say I ignored everyone and picked up Etotama, which is just completely my kind of series. I was much too hasty dropping it just because of its similarity to Show By Rock!!

(Original post by hamza_ahmad)
    I have never seen this thread before. I am pretty interested tbh and currently I have started JoJo's bizarre adventure and watching fate stay night unlimited blade works season 2. I have watched some great anime in the form of:
    Gurren Lagann
    Danganronpa
    Cowboy bebop
    Fairytail
    Baccano
    Deathnote
    Naruto (unfortunately)
    DBZ
    Soul eater
    Fate zero
    FMAB
    Code geass
    Madoka magica (surprisingly manly)

Cant think of more. So yeah thats me anime wise

Oh yeah kill la kill too
    Welcome to the society! That is an amazing list.

ReputationRep:
    I need recommendations. I have pretty varied tastes I've watched Naruto (my favourite, although I know it isn't good anymore, it has a special place in my heart) Bleach, Another, DEATH NOTE <3, a LOT of shojo anime, etc. Some names please??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fandom-queen)
    I need recommendations. I have pretty varied tastes I've watched Naruto (my favourite, although I know it isn't good anymore, it has a special place in my heart) Bleach, Another, DEATH NOTE <3, a LOT of shojo anime, etc. Some names please??
    Cowboy Bebop and Baccano! for sure. Also, I think you'd like Code Geass since it's similar to Death Note. Oh, and the Fullmetal Alchemist series is also worth watching.

ReputationRep:
    Not specifically but yeah, I just like shows with good character development and an interesting plot- as they are the fundamental basics really.
    (Original post by caraniel)
    I really should make the movies list my next project....maybe after I get the Summer preview done.

Gintama is awesome - so impressive how it can keep being so fun even after so many episodes. Second Season of the Monogatari series has excellent character development, but I think I still prefer Bakemonogatari over all.

Yes I've seen NANA - stunning shoujo series. It's sitting down in the 50s-60s for me, simply because of the frustrating ending. Still highly recommended though.

I actually put off watching Cowboy Bebop for years because I was sure it wouldn't live up to the hype (same with Samurai Champloo), but it definitely is regarded as an anime classic for very good reasons.

I'd definitely recommend Eureka Seven - it looks beautiful and the central love story is really engaging. I'm due a rewatch of that. Escaflowne is also heavy on the romance aspect - my love for that series is heavily steeped in nostalgia (it was one of my gateway shows). I'd also heartily recommend RahXephon if you liked Evangelion.

That's definitely School Days. A show I haven't actually watched, but still know more than I really wanted to know about.

That's a pretty cool list - take it you're a fan of shounen action shows!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    A few shounen action series:

Hunter x Hunter (2011)

One Piece

Magi

Soul Eater

D.Gray-man

Shows similar to Death Note with mind games and clever characters:

Code Geass

Zetsuen no Tempest

Monster

Kaiji

Spiral

And finally, some shoujo:

Lovely Complex

The Rose of Versailles

Skip Beat!

Escaflowne

Or this season's Ore Monogatari!!, if you don't mind the weekly wait for new episodes.

I hope that something there is of interest to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    A few shounen action series:

Hunter x Hunter (2011)

One Piece

Magi

Soul Eater

D.Gray-man

Shows similar to Death Note with mind games and clever characters:

Code Geass

Zetsuen no Tempest

Monster

Kaiji

Spiral

And finally, some shoujo:

Lovely Complex

The Rose of Versailles

Skip Beat!

Escaflowne

Or this season's Ore Monogatari!!, if you don't mind the weekly wait for new episodes.

I hope that something there is of interest to you!
    (Original post by EdwardElric)
    Cowboy Bebop and Baccano! for sure. Also, I think you'd like Code Geass since it's similar to Death Note. Oh, and the Fullmetal Alchemist series is also worth watching.
    Yeah, I guess I'll watch FMA next. Which would you recommend, brotherhood or the other one first??

ReputationRep:
    Fandom queen you should watch brotherhood just alchemist is bad
    Yeah, I guess I'll watch FMA next. Which would you recommend, brotherhood or the other one first??
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Difficult one, as I was discussing with another member on here a week ago. The first anime has better pacing at the start, and a completely anime original (but not bad, considering) conclusion; Brotherhood sticks to the manga and is the better of the two series in my opinion, but it has a very rushed beginning because it assumes people will have already seen the original. It slows down at the point where the first series deviated from the manga, and is great from then onwards.

If you don't mind fast pacing and lack of detail, you could probably jump right into Brotherhood. But if you're okay adding an extra 50 episodes, watching the first anime might add to your enjoyment of Brotherhood afterwards. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    The second half of Unlimited Blade Works feels like a different show to the first, and thank god it does.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend watching the first series before Brotherhood, not only is it a brilliant anime in itself, but it also has better pacing at the beginning and takes more time developing the relationship between Edward and Alphonse. Brotherhood does have a superior story, but it skips over or barely covers some important parts in the original because it's assumed that you've already watched the original. I watched the original first, and I think it helped me enjoy Brotherhood a lot more.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Anyone here like nogame no life?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I've only seem FMA Brotherhood but have been told FMA is terrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    I've only seem FMA Brotherhood but have been told FMA is terrible.
    :O
    FMA is far from a terrible anime, if you enjoyed Brotherhood you'll enjoy it (although its scale is a lot smaller so it may feel a bit underwhelming if you watch it after Brotherhood). I'm a big fan of the series so I may be a little biased towards it, but it really isn't terrible at all. I'm interested in seeing any genuine reasons that FMA is 'terrible', since I haven't seen any yet.

ReputationRep:
    I loved FMA! Everyone's favourite characters?

My favourite, I think, had to be Roy Mustang. He was just so weird in an amusing, random and then strangely caring way.
    I totally ship Roy and Riza! There is some gorgeous fan-art for this ship:
    Spoiler:
    Show

(sorry for small size, there was once a larger image but I think it was taken down which is a shame because it is my favourite of them all; gorgeous detail)

Aren't they gorgeous?

I loved the humour in FMA, I think it was definitely needed to make the whole anime less depressing, don't you think? There were many sad events, and the Elric brothers' story was even based on a sad one really. Definitely pulled at my heartstrings in several places. I loved the appearance of the Seven Sins and something I really adored about the anime was how it portrayed women. I'm not a full-blown feminist as such, but it was just quite wonderful to see some women taking on a tougher lifestyle/appearance; there was nice variety including Riza, Winry, Lust and Izumi.

Wondered if anyone else has seen Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa?
    I really enjoyed it and thought it was very cool.

I really enjoy the humour in anime; currently I'm watching Death Note and the humour is also brilliant here. I was encouraged to watch it by a friend years ago but never did until recently because my favourite idol will be playing character L in the Korean musical Death Note (데스노트) throughout June and July. Is anyone else a fan of this anime?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    FMA is far from a terrible anime, if you enjoyed Brotherhood you'll enjoy it (although its scale is a lot smaller so it may feel a bit underwhelming if you watch it after Brotherhood). I'm a big fan of the series so I may be a little biased towards it, but it really isn't terrible at all. I'm interested in seeing any genuine reasons that FMA is 'terrible', since I haven't seen any yet.
    :ditto: About the only negative thing that springs to mind is that it isn't as epic as Brotherhood, though it handles the scenes from earlier on in the manga far better. :yes:

(Original post by shadowshy)

My favourite, I think, had to be Roy Mustang. He was just so weird in an amusing, random and then strangely caring way.
    Spoiler:
    Show

(sorry for small size, there was once a larger image but I think it was taken down which is a shame because it is my favourite of them all; gorgeous detail)

Aren't they gorgeous?

I loved the humour in FMA, I think it was definitely needed to make the whole anime less depressing, don't you think? There were many sad events, and the Elric brothers' story was even based on a sad one really. Definitely pulled at my heartstrings in several places. I loved the appearance of the Seven Sins and something I really adored about the anime was how it portrayed women. I'm not a full-blown feminist as such, but it was just quite wonderful to see some women taking on a tougher lifestyle/appearance; there was nice variety including Riza, Winry, Lust and Izumi.

Wondered if anyone else has seen Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa?

I really enjoy the humour in anime; currently I'm watching Death Note and the humour is also brilliant here. I was encouraged to watch it by a friend years ago but never did until recently because my favourite idol will be playing character L in the Korean musical Death Note (데스노트) throughout June and July. Is anyone else a fan of this anime?
    Here's the small image in full size.

My favourite character from the series has to be Armstrong, so funny, but surprisingly powerful as well! One of the best in my favourite character of all time list.

I have seen Conqueror of Shamballa, though it was a LONG time ago, can't remember many of the details. Seems I rated it highly though! :p:

I'm a big fan of Death Note (it's in my Top 50 anime list, along with FMA: Brotherhood), but I can't say I watched it for the humour! Though...

Death Note episode 10 spoilers
    that tennis match was brilliant. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    :ditto: About the only negative thing that springs to mind is that it isn't as epic as Brotherhood, though it handles the scenes from earlier on in the manga far better. :yes:

Here's the small image in full size.

My favourite character from the series has to be Armstrong, so funny, but surprisingly powerful as well! One of the best in my favourite character of all time list.

I have seen Conqueror of Shamballa, though it was a LONG time ago, can't remember many of the details. Seems I rated it highly though! :p:

I'm a big fan of Death Note (it's in my Top 50 anime list, along with FMA: Brotherhood), but I can't say I watched it for the humour! Though...

Death Note episode 10 spoilers
    that tennis match was brilliant. :giggle:
    The over exaggerated potato chip scene was pretty funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowshy)

Spoiler:
    Show

Aren't they gorgeous?

Mustang is one of my all time favourite characters, and I must admit I do 'ship' him and Riza Hawkeye . I love Riza as well, I love a strong female character in anime. My favourite character is Edward Elric though (heck, my username says it all). I love the original anime since it expands on the Seven Sins in a lot more detail, and as I said before focuses a lot more on Ed and Al as apposed to the larger cast in Brotherhood.

I saw Conqueror of Shamballa a while ago (since the original FMA ending left me feeling a little miffed). I remember enjoying it, but I felt it was a little unnecessary, and I wish they had just wrapped up the show within the series. Still, it's an enjoyable movie in and of itself.

On Friday night I attempted to watch The Sacred Star of Milos, the second FMA movie. I got about half an hour into it before giving up, it just didn't feel like FMA at all. Sure, it had the same characters, but I didn't enjoy what I saw at all. I must admit, I started it very late so I was pretty tired and therefore not in the best shape to watch it. I may come back to it in the future, though.

Oh, and I'm a big fan of Death Note. I consider it the anime that truly sparked my interest, and since it was one of my first anime it really surprised me that an animated show could have such a good story. I need to rewatch it soon, I have very fond memories of Death Note.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Voted for Show By Rock!!'s Plasmagica in Sanrio's annual character poll. :proud: Apparently they and the series' other band ShinganCrimsonZ are on track to win at this early stage, beating the likes of Hello Kitty and My Melody! :zomg:
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I suppose I'll give it a watch then. Ta

Bit of a random Q but by how much does ai no exorcist anime differ from the manga?

ReputationRep:
    I've just read the first few chapters of Black Clover and so far it's screaming Naruto but it's got potential and i can sense a good arc coming up. Does anyone know when Naruto: The last will be released in the UK with japanese audio?

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.