Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    UBW gets me hyped and feels like it sets up for an amazing episode then it gets to Saturday and they chat about ideals for 20 mins and clash swords about 5 times. I am enjoying the 2nd season overall though.
    Yeah UBW is good but nothing special. Really, really pretty though. Imo not on the same level of greatness as fate/zero.

I absolutely adored fate zero for the fantastic characters and the themes of naivety, ignorance and how believing strongly in your own ideals does not guarantee success, emphasising the inevitability of failure in the goals the character's possessed. Perhaps this is permeated through the nihilistic and pessimistic writing of Gen Urobuchi.

In short: UBW doesn't give me quite the same vibe that F/Z did, due partly to the conveyance of themes and portrayal of the characters.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    UBW gets me hyped and feels like it sets up for an amazing episode then it gets to Saturday and they chat about ideals for 20 mins and clash swords about 5 times. I am enjoying the 2nd season overall though.
    Cheers for the advanced warning, I do love those long chats about ideals. :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omar717)
    Yeah UBW is good but nothing special. Really, really pretty though. Imo not on the same level of greatness as fate/zero.

I absolutely adored fate zero for the fantastic characters and the themes of naivety, ignorance and how believing strongly in your own ideals does not guarantee success, emphasising the inevitability of failure in the goals the character's possessed. Perhaps this is permeated through the nihilistic and pessimistic writing of Gen Urobuchi.

In short: UBW doesn't give me quite the same vibe that F/Z did, due partly to the conveyance of themes and portrayal of the characters.
    Yeah definitely, Fate/Zero is better than UBW. Having adult characters was a lot more believable than some high schoolers dicking around with heroic spirits.

(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Cheers for the advanced warning, I do love those long chats about ideals. :yawn:
    It's not as bad as last weeks chat to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    Just been having a clear out/ adding in recent series and general review of my want to watch list on AP. So this knights of sidonia series... the opening is the muse song isnt it? Otherwise thats one missed opportunity.:sad:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by vin)
    Just been having a clear out/ adding in recent series and general review of my want to watch list on AP. So this knights of sidonia series... the opening is the muse song isnt it? Otherwise thats one missed opportunity.:sad:
    That would have been cool, but nope, we got angela belting out two great military-sounding songs instead. Which is fine with me!

ReputationRep:
    Only good anime this season are Yahari season 2 and JoJo. JoJo is still weaker than the first two arcs. The rest are a mix of meh and terrible. Ore Monogatari was pretty funny the first couple of episodes but it's a Shoujo anime so obviously it's already repetitive and cringe-worthy.

ReputationRep:
    I watched gundam the origin. Whilst it was a pretty good origin story I was hoping for more unicorn-esque animation :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    RE: Fate Stay UBW
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Shirou is all like "'Ima hero of justice!" and Archer be all like "your ideals are teh stupid and your a ginger hypocrite" but Shirou be all "who cares if it be teh stupids, Ima hero of Justice!!!"

Not sure why that's in spoiler tags, as nothing new was established in the last episode. Well, with the exception of
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Avalon, Saber's scabbard being inside Shirou, therefore allowing him to regenerate in order to ACTUALLY fight Archer in the next ep

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it, but Saber's role in this arc seems pretty redundant beyond 'facilitating' the aforementioned spoiler. A bit odd, considering I was in Akihabara for the first half of UBW, and Saber's face was plastered on all the promotional material. She is pretty much the face of the series though (and quite rightly so /fangirl)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by El Nombre)
    RE: Fate Stay UBW
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Shirou is all like "'Ima hero of justice!" and Archer be all like "your ideals are teh stupid and your a ginger hypocrite" but Shirou be all "who cares if it be teh stupids, Ima hero of Justice!!!"

Not sure why that's in spoiler tags, as nothing new was established in the last episode. Well, with the exception of
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Avalon, Saber's scabbard being inside Shirou, therefore allowing him to regenerate in order to ACTUALLY fight Archer in the next ep
    I'll hold off on opening those and replying properly until I've seen the episode, all the same. :yes:

Decided to stock up on old OVAs again, as I'm all out - Dream Dimension Hunter Fandora has that brilliant 80s fantasy look that you just don't get these days (that hair, and those helmets :giggle: ), while I got Andromeda Stories (actually a TV special, pre-dating the first anime OVAs) because I've been meaning to read the manga for a while, and only just found out there was an anime adaptation. :beard:

...thought I'd let everyone know, in case they ever show up in a future 'Identify the Anime' thread. :evil:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I'm now up to date with F/SN UBW - a bit more eventful and enjoyable than last week's ep, but they are really dragging things out.

ReputationRep:

I'm not keeping up with new shows, but I have often found anime + philosophy and/or long chats lead to :yawn:

I recall enjoying both GiTS SAC series, but caring little for the movies I watched.

Started watching Princess Ressurection last night after getting the box set- I got one half of the series from the US years ago, only watched a few episodes back then. Pretty run of the mill, but Liza :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    This is painful to read! I've been really enjoying UBW lately and I thought episode 20 was one of the best so far. I enjoy the chats about ideals a lot; the clash of personalities and outlooks is what I like so much about the Fate series. I know Fate Zero had a much better cast - though I think UBW's cast is great but we've just been stuck with Shirou and Rin - but the chats about ideals were endless. I'm surprised you guys rate it highly if you don't like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    This is painful to read! I've been really enjoying UBW lately and I thought episode 20 was one of the best so far. I enjoy the chats about ideals a lot; the clash of personalities and outlooks is what I like so much about the Fate series. I know Fate Zero had a much better cast - though I think UBW's cast is great but we've just been stuck with Shirou and Rin - but the chats about ideals were endless. I'm surprised you guys rate it highly if you don't like that.
    I have been enjoying this season, I just wish some of the earlier fights in the series were longer, but this particular fight has really been dragged out without much actual fighting. I don't mind the chat about ideals and there are some cool scenes but it feels like they just keep saying the same thing over and over now.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by xDave-)
    Like I said, it was better than last week's episode - more interesting dialogue, more plot developments, and a bit more action. It's better than the first half, which left me on the fence as to whether to continue with it or not.

I rate it fairly highly, largely for the production values, but there's far more this season that I'm more interested in. :dontknow:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Plenty of discussion surrounding FSN UBW here. If I were to put my two pennies worth, I'm not adverse to the scenes with a lot of dialogue, especially when you factor that I've already played through the UBW route and watched the film, so any extra snippets of information they decide to add in this adaptation can only be appreciated. It helps that I'm something of a fan of the Fate series and much of what Type Moon does, so I definitely have a bias. Moreover, ufotable are producing some of the finest animation in the industry right now. There's no doubting the quality of the production all round and this only helps to enhance the experience for me, even if it's just a few characters standing in a room. That said, I can understand fully where everyone else is coming from and that more of a balance between the dialogue and the action would have been better.

On another note, episode 8 of Hibike! Euphonium was really enjoyable. This is easily becoming one of the best KyoAni series I've seen for a long long time. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    UBW is just a fighting shonen with generic characters and no hint of decent writing and story telling. The directing is mediocre too. The show breaks the "show, don't tell" rule every few minutes and dumps us with wordy exposition about things we either already know or don't care about, even though that "unlimited budget" could have been used to provide information through the visuals. Instead, they went for pretty colours with no substance to awe the fans. MC is a typical shonen lead with no interesting traits and the girls are just there for fanservice, especially Saber.

The fights would be the good part but even they get interrupted by dialogue all the time. The Illya fight in episode 15 was expecially cringe-worthy.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The fight was interrupted by a flashback for the sole purpose of making the audience care about a character that hasn't been relevant for the last nine episodes and has no had no importance even during her limited screentime just so they could kill her off in the very same episode.
    That is appalling writing.

I guess I'll give credit to the nice special effects and backgrounds though.

ReputationRep:
    Just finished Ghost in the Shell : Stand Alone Complex, it absolutely blows the movie out of the water for me. I found all the Catcher in the Rye references pretty interesting. I've started Higurashi now, it's very gripping so far so I'm excited to see more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdwardElric)
    Just finished Ghost in the Shell : Stand Alone Complex, it absolutely blows the movie out of the water for me. I found all the Catcher in the Rye references pretty interesting. I've started Higurashi now, it's very gripping so far so I'm excited to see more.
    IMO HIgurashi is one of the few good horror anime out there. I think second season is a worse in some ways but overall I think you're in for a good mystery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkhead)
    IMO HIgurashi is one of the few good horror anime out there. I think second season is a worse in some ways but overall I think you're in for a good mystery.
    I'm 6 episodes in now and I'm really enjoying it. It has a pretty bizzare storyline though, I just hope that it doesn't become too repetitive for me.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I preferred the sequel for Higurashi, personally - the first series had the shock factor, but it was nice to finally find out in Higurashi Kai exactly what was going on!

I found Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei a bit weak, though... Kaku Outbreak was painfully bad, and I've put off watching Kira since apparently it's the worst of the lot. Studio DEEN over-milking one of their more successful franchises, most probably. :s:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.