Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I preferred the sequel for Higurashi, personally - the first series had the shock factor, but it was nice to finally find out in Higurashi Kai exactly what was going on!

I found Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei a bit weak, though... Kaku Outbreak was painfully bad, and I've put off watching Kira since apparently it's the worst of the lot. Studio DEEN over-milking one of their more successful franchises, most probably. :s:
    I thought Kai was a let down compared to S1 because almost 90% of the show was someone outright telling you the exact answer. It's like they read the VN (hint: it's really, really, really long) and thought "hmm.. how do we let the viewer know all of these 1 million words worth of information about the plot? I know! Let's literally just narrate it to them!". The fun of a murder mystery isn't in just having the answer given to you. I'd rather be kept in the shadows in that case.

It ruined the mysterious atmosphere and just became an audiobook. The sense of paranoia is just gone and you get an exposition dump. To make matters worse the animation in both seasons is terrible so while we're getting this narration, all we see is poor art and moving mouths.

Anyway, that's just what I thought of it. I guess I never understood why people rank S2 over S1.

ReputationRep:
    Any recommendations on romcom anime/manga will be much appreciated! (preferably new because i think i've seen/read all the older well-known ones) Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysterious M)
    Any recommendations on romcom anime/manga will be much appreciated! (preferably new because i think i've seen/read all the older well-known ones) Thankyou!
    Which have you seen? It would help us see what sort of things you prefer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkhead)
    Which have you seen? It would help us see what sort of things you prefer.
    The list in long but i just posted some suggestions in another forum so ill copy and paste them:
    ----Off the top of my head romcom wise
    :Kaichou wa maid sama - love love love
    Special A - love it
    Itzura na kiss
    Vampire knight- i loved it -- 2 seasons
    The familiar of zero - i liked this
    clannad - this is sad i think so warning there - quite a few seasons tho
    code gease
    kimi ni todoke - again its good but not a personal favourite
    full metal - panic? forgot :P
    skip bea
    tBaka and test
    Amnesia (this annoyed me)
    Inu x boku SS (kinda liked this like a guard and girl thing)
    my little monster
    Kamisama hajime ma****e
    Sakurasou na pet na kanojo
    Fruits Basket ( i really dont know why so many people liked this it wasnt as great as i thought itd be) - same with > Ouran highschool (club) i think
    Peach Girl
    Kodocha (this is like old quality and younger kids so idk if you'll like it)
    Yumeiro pattisiere (food + romcom)
    nodame cantabile
    tora dora - its alright, i personally thought it couldve been better
    school rumble
    golden time
    lovely complex
    Hayate the combat butler - i think i liked this
    Zero no tsukaima
    Sword Art Online (SAO) - a new season aired this year or last year i think XD
    bokura ga ita
    Nisekoi
    Ao haru ride
    inuyasha (old quality)
    Theres this good one about a knight and like a woman who can see elfs and magic (i think shes like the last witch or something) I cant remember the name but it was good -.- ill ask my sister when she comes home, she liked it also:P
    Random one thats not romcom: death note, my brother loved it

-----my favourite being the top 2, manga wise dont worry im too lazy to list some :P
    -but quite a few of these are mangas also - so something like dengeki daisy will do

I don't like ones where they die (RomeXJuliet - i was stupid and hoped they wouldn't die despite being aware of the typical story line) or where they lose their memory

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysterious M)
    -----my favourite being the top 2, manga wise dont worry im too lazy to list some :PThanks again
    You should get a MyAnimeList (or other website) account. It really helps keep things neat and easy to track.

Anyway, you've watched a lot of the popular romcoms so it's a bit hard to suggest new ones. I'll try though:

Yahari Ore No Seishun Love Come Wa Machigatteiru
    Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun
    Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
    The World God Only Knows (this has a lot of seasons and IMO gets better in the final season)
    Sora no Manimani
    The Devil is a Part Timer
    Honey and Clover
    Kimikiss pure rouge
    Amagami SS
    Hatsukoi Limited
    Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi
    Arakawa under the bridge
    Acchi Kocchi
    Love lab
    Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
    Tamako Market movie
    Servant x Service

They aren't all great but they're probably the best ones you'll find. The ones near the top are more recent.

BTW if you like Kaichou wa maid sama anime, you'll probably like the manga a lot more since it actually gets somewhere with the relationship.

ReputationRep:
    You should get a MyAnimeList (or other website) account. It really helps keep things neat and easy to track.

Anyway, you've watched a lot of the popular romcoms so it's a bit hard to suggest new ones. I'll try though:

Yahari Ore No Seishun Love Come Wa Machigatteiru
    Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun
    Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
    The World God Only Knows (this has a lot of seasons and IMO gets better in the final season)
    Sora no Manimani
    The Devil is a Part Timer
    Honey and Clover
    Kimikiss pure rouge
    Amagami SS
    Hatsukoi Limited
    Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi
    Arakawa under the bridge
    Acchi Kocchi
    Love lab
    Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
    Tamako Market movie
    Servant x Service

They aren't all great but they're probably the best ones you'll find. The ones near the top are more recent.

BTW if you like Kaichou wa maid sama anime, you'll probably like the manga a lot more since it actually gets somewhere with the relationship.

I've watched a few of those :P But thankyou i will definitely check out the ones i havent! Yeah i was thinking about making and account but laziness got to me, i think i might tho it really does seem to help

Thanks for the recommendations I have read the mangas of all the animes that have mangas (that i have watched) so yeah I know how it goes but seriously, thankyou, i appreciate it and will watch the ones you've said !
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I thought Kai was a let down compared to S1 because almost 90% of the show was someone outright telling you the exact answer. It's like they read the VN (hint: it's really, really, really long) and thought "hmm.. how do we let the viewer know all of these 1 million words worth of information about the plot? I know! Let's literally just narrate it to them!". The fun of a murder mystery isn't in just having the answer given to you. I'd rather be kept in the shadows in that case.

It ruined the mysterious atmosphere and just became an audiobook. The sense of paranoia is just gone and you get an exposition dump. To make matters worse the animation in both seasons is terrible so while we're getting this narration, all we see is poor art and moving mouths.

Anyway, that's just what I thought of it. I guess I never understood why people rank S2 over S1.

Spoilers for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai:

I don't know how things played out in the visual novel, but I didn't mind the exposition in the second anime series. While a mystery might have made things more interesting, I found Rika's struggles to find a happy ending interesting enough.

Just my opinion though, as someone who hasn't read the visual novel, and generally dislikes questions going unanswered. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I preferred the sequel for Higurashi, personally - the first series had the shock factor, but it was nice to finally find out in Higurashi Kai exactly what was going on!

I found Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei a bit weak, though... Kaku Outbreak was painfully bad, and I've put off watching Kira since apparently it's the worst of the lot. Studio DEEN over-milking one of their more successful franchises, most probably. :s:
    Higurashi Kira is pretty bad, not worth wasting your time with it. It's just fan service and slice of life with higurashi characters, a complete contrast to the original series.

ReputationRep:
    Currently I'm watching Monster which, so far, is fantastic! Some genuinely great writing.

Johan looks to be one of my fav villains in anime , kinda reminds me of Makishima Shogo from psycho pass.

Speaking of psycho pass, was season 2 any good? I only watched 3 eps and it didn't seem that great, and apparently it's nowhere near the greatness of season 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omar717)
    Currently I'm watching Monster which, so far, is fantastic! Some genuinely great writing.

Johan looks to be one of my fav villains in anime , kinda reminds me of Makishima Shogo from psycho pass.

Speaking of psycho pass, was season 2 any good? I only watched 3 eps and it didn't seem that great, and apparently it's nowhere near the greatness of season 1.
    I love Johan he's such a good villian and he's not like a normal villian in anime his character is so complex, he is by far one of my fav villians in anime

Season 2 of psycho pass was ok not as good as season 1 do but you should still watch it anyway do, its great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omar717)

Monster is fantastic - really strong writing and brilliantly realised characters. Definitely a worthwhile watch.

Forget the second season of Psycho-Pass exists - it really was a disappointment of mammoth proportions! The new writing team just didn't really get what made the first season so good, and we ended up with an absolute mess of a series.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Anime-Planet just announced an overhaul of its formerly woeful LGBT+ tags, so I'm busy suggesting changes for various characters in their database. If anyone knows of any characters that should have been edited but haven't been, feel free to let me know and I'll pass on the request (or better still, request them yourselves if you have a forum account).
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    :tumble:

Show By Rock!! is taking the Sanrio Character Poll by storm. The image they've released looks pretty awful though, clearly designed for their usual chibi character sizes (I'm still surprised they didn't go with the 3D character designs for this). :p:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...k-bands/.88658

ReputationRep:
    First time posting here!

Really enjoying 'Is it wrong to pick up girls in the dungeon?' (gotta admit, it was the long title that drew me in!). I am not particularly fond of the harem implications even though this is more of a action/romance show but it's pretty decent so far! I really like the main character, his VA voiced Kirito from SAO. ANDDDD he looks like Nai from Karneval, so cute! What are your thoughts on it?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by DedicatedWizard)
    First time posting here!

Really enjoying 'Is it wrong to pick up girls in the dungeon?' (gotta admit, it was the long title that drew me in!). I am not particularly fond of the harem implications even though this is more of a action/romance show but it's pretty decent so far! I really like the main character, his VA voiced Kirito from SAO. ANDDDD he looks like Nai from Karneval, so cute! What are your thoughts on it?
    Welcome to the society!

I've had mixed thoughts on DanMachi - I'm not a fan of the series' attempt at romcom/harem antics either, and since the early episodes focused more heavily on that side of things, I nearly dropped it. Glad I didn't though, as the more recent plot/action-focused episodes have been among the best this season IMO. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the society!

I've had mixed thoughts on DanMachi - I'm not a fan of the series' attempt at romcom/harem antics either, and since the early episodes focused more heavily on that side of things, I nearly dropped it. Glad I didn't though, as the more recent plot/action-focused episodes have been among the best this season IMO. :yes:
    Yes the action is pretty much the most exciting part of the show. Who's your favourite character? Mine's Hestia she's so cute, I feel so bad for her since Bell's attracted to someone else.

I don't really like the Syr character, she looks really shady for some reason
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by DedicatedWizard)
    Yes the action is pretty much the most exciting part of the show. Who's your favourite character? Mine's Hestia she's so cute, I feel so bad for her since Bell's attracted to someone else.

I don't really like the Syr character, she looks really shady for some reason
    Can't say I'm a big fan of Hestia myself, mostly because she seems to be at the centre of all the boring romcom parts. :s: Bell is alright, he's starting to develop beyond 'generic male lead'. Guess if I had to pick a favourite character though, it'd probably be Liliruca, since she's probably had the most interesting back story and best character development so far. :yes:

I agree with you regarding Syr...

Spoilers for DanMachi eps 2 & 3
    At first I thought she was Freya, the grey haired goddess that's targeting Bell, seemed coincidental that she happened to forget her wallet, and Bell happened to be tasked with returning it to her, which led him to all the trouble with the Silverback. Seems they're definitely separate characters though. :p:

Even so, I feel like she's up to something... though that might only be wishful thinking, because as I say I'd prefer a plot twist to boring harem developments. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Started watching Hunter X Hunter. On ep 43 so far. How could I have been unaware of this gem?! It's so good :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tai Ga)
    Started watching Hunter X Hunter. On ep 43 so far. How could I have been unaware of this gem?! It's so good :awesome:
    I absolutely loved hunter x hunter. I stopped watching it though, when it came to the "chimera arc"

Imo it was just so boring, I might give it another chance though, are you watching subbed or dubbed ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceFantatic)
    I absolutely loved hunter x hunter. I stopped watching it though, when it came to the "chimera arc"

Imo it was just so boring, I might give it another chance though, are you watching subbed or dubbed ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The obnoxious narration and terrible pacing killed the show IMO. I don't get why people say the Chimera Ant arc is the best. If you think it gets better, it doesn't really. The main fight scene is pretty cool though.

Yorkshin City arc was the best in the show, all the other ones were eh. Too bad we didn't see much of Kurapika after that. The final arc is probably the worst.

On another note, I'm currently watching Mawaru Penguindrum and well... it's very interesting, that's for sure. One thing I can say for sure only 10 episodes in though: the directing is amazing, especially the shot composition. Music as well.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.