Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I thought the Chimera Ant arc was the best of the 2011 Hunter x Hunter series, personally. Yes, the pacing slows right down the moment it starts, but that's because up until that point it was speeding through arcs already covered by the 1999 series and multiple OVAs. It's unusual for a series to go into such depth in developing even the most seemingly minor characters. :zomg:

Greed Island was the series' lowest point for me, but even that wasn't terrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkhead)
    The obnoxious narration and terrible pacing killed the show IMO. I don't get why people say the Chimera Ant arc is the best. If you think it gets better, it doesn't really. The main fight scene is pretty cool though.

Yorkshin City arc was the best in the show, all the other ones were eh. Too bad we didn't see much of Kurapika after that. The final arc is probably the worst.

On another note, I'm currently watching Mawaru Penguindrum and well... it's very interesting, that's for sure. One thing I can say for sure only 10 episodes in though: the directing is amazing, especially the shot composition. Music as well.
    I liked the beginning of the Chimera Ant arc... I'm not sure what put me of it.. so I didn't bother finishing the anime.

Yes I think you're right the Yorkshin City arc was amazing, but I also liked the hunter exam arc, as I love the whole tournament/competition thing in anime.

What is the Mawaru Penguindrum anime about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I thought the Chimera Ant arc was the best of the 2011 Hunter x Hunter series, personally. Yes, the pacing slows right down the moment it starts, but that's because up until that point it was speeding through arcs already covered by the 1999 series and multiple OVAs. It's unusual for a series to go into such depth in developing even the most seemingly minor characters. :zomg:

Greed Island was the series' lowest point for me, but even that wasn't terrible.
    I thought Greed Island was ok I loved the whole digital/game thing... could see it be a whole series on its own.

I wanted more of the other 2 characters.. Kurapika and the tall guy lol, I felt they wrote them off too soon

What anime are you watching currently?

ReputationRep:

Yeah, I agree. The chimera ant arc was fantastic, absolutely loved it. It did get very slow at points and did tend to drag on, but as a whole I thought it was brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceFantatic)
    I liked the beginning of the Chimera Ant arc... I'm not sure what put me of it.. so I didn't bother finishing the anime.

Yes I think you're right the Yorkshin City arc was amazing, but I also liked the hunter exam arc, as I love the whole tournament/competition thing in anime.

What is the Mawaru Penguindrum anime about?
    Heh, I have very harsh opinions of HxH and think it's incredibly overrated simply because the quality of shonen anime is lacking so it's hard to compare its quality. Sad part is that even with all its flaws, it's still one of the better shonen out there. But I usually don't go into it because upsetting a popular shonen's fanbase is never a good idea lol.

As for Penguindrum, it's hard to explain. I don't really know what it's about myself yet. It's got ridiculous amounts of symbolism though, so if that's your thing, you'll enjoy this anime. I'm lliking it a lot so far though.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I thought Greed Island was ok I loved the whole digital/game thing... could see it be a whole series on its own.

I wanted more of the other 2 characters.. Kurapika and the tall guy lol, I felt they wrote them off too soon

What anime are you watching currently?
    I guess Greed Island just felt like a bit of an anticlimax, coming right after Yorkshin - a lot of training montages, no battles on the same scale as the arcs before or after it etc. It was an interesting idea, but it almost felt like a different series! :p:

I would strongly recommend giving the Chimera Arc another go at some point, if you don't feel too heavily disappointed by what you've already seen. It takes its time (61 episodes long, dwarfing Yorkshin at 22), but that allows for a lot more depth and detail in the story telling and character development.

I'm currently watching Gundam SEED (four episodes left, might finish it this weekend!) and Witch Hunter Robin, both part of my new year's resolution to watch as many popular/better known series as possible (that I haven't already seen during my 10 years as an anime fan). Also eighteen currently ongoing series - full list is here if you're interested, but at the moment I'd say the highlights are Sidonia no Kishi, Arslan Senki and Kekkai Sensen. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkhead)
    Heh, I have very harsh opinions of HxH and think it's incredibly overrated simply because the quality of shonen anime is lacking so it's hard to compare its quality. Sad part is that even with all its flaws, it's still one of the better shonen out there. But I usually don't go into it because upsetting a popular shonen's fanbase is never a good idea lol.

As for Penguindrum, it's hard to explain. I don't really know what it's about myself yet. It's got ridiculous amounts of symbolism though, so if that's your thing, you'll enjoy this anime. I'm lliking it a lot so far though.
    I would say I'm a Shōnen fan , but I just watch anything that's good. Recently I've been watching things I wouldn't normally watch, things with mass amount of blood: Baccano! Elfen lied.. things like that... but after watching " The walking dead" I'm used to it now.

Yeah I looked on it on MyAnimeList, it looks pretty cool, I think I'll watch it after I finish cowboy bebop.. lol, 3 episodes left but I hadn't t really gotten the time to watch it yet.

Oh I'm also glad wikipedia didn't spoil the anime for me like it normally does.

ReputationRep:
    I guess Greed Island just felt like a bit of an anticlimax, coming right after Yorkshin - a lot of training montages, no battles on the same scale as the arcs before or after it etc. It was an interesting idea, but it almost felt like a different series! :p:

I would strongly recommend giving the Chimera Arc another go at some point, if you don't feel too heavily disappointed by what you've already seen. It takes its time (61 episodes long, dwarfing Yorkshin at 22), but that allows for a lot more depth and detail in the story telling and character development.

I'm currently watching Gundam SEED (four episodes left, might finish it this weekend!) and Witch Hunter Robin, both part of my new year's resolution to watch as many popular/better known series as possible (that I haven't already seen during my 10 years as an anime fan). Also eighteen currently ongoing series - full list is here if you're interested, but at the moment I'd say the highlights are Sidonia no Kishi, Arslan Senki and Kekkai Sensen. :yes:
    I wouldn't say I was heavily disappointed, I just lost a lot of interest, just one thing was happening then another and I felt it didn't develop as much as it could have.
    I haven't heard of any of those anime except Gundam, that's a mecca anime right?

I've seen quite a lot of populalr anime, the really long ones are the ones I like, except detective conan, I wouldn't dare give that a try

Is Fate/Stay UBW good? I just finished watching fate/zero and I loved it.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    But I really wanted Kirei to die a painful death, he's worse than Light yagami

ReputationRep:
    I Love Hunter X hunter the character development was brilliant especially the......
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Chimera ant king meruem i love him as a character first he stared of ass killing machine and after he started becoming more human. His relationship with that girl was just beautiful and the way he died brought closure to the arc, it was just great.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I wouldn't say I was heavily disappointed, I just lost a lot of interest, just one thing was happening then another and I felt it didn't develop as much as it could have.
    I haven't heard of any of those anime except Gundam, that's a mecca anime right?

I've seen quite a lot of populalr anime, the really long ones are the ones I like, except detective conan, I wouldn't dare give that a try

Is Fate/Stay UBW good? I just finished watching fate/zero and I loved it.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    But I really wanted Kirei to die a painful death, he's worse than Light yagami
    Gundam is the biggest mech franchise out there. :yes: The original Mobile Suit Gundam aired in 1979, while the most recent offering (excluding spin-offs), G no Reconguista, ended last season. And the only one I've watched fully is 08th MS Team. So that's something I feel I should do something about, especially since I really enjoyed both that and SEED. :p:

I avoided longer series like the plague, until I finally took the plunge and started One Piece a few years back. That's the longest thing I've watched by far, with Urusei Yatsura and Hunter x Hunter (oddly enough) a distand 2nd and 3rd. Naruto is also on my list of series to try and watch this year though, figured I'd see what all the fuss is about now that it's over. :giggle:

Unlimited Blade Works is very different in style to Fate/Zero - it focuses largely on just two master/servant couples, instead of telling the story from the perspective of a wide range of characters as Zero did. The masters are mostly high school age, and lack the life experience and interesting backgrounds that those in Zero had. The series' pacing is also inconsistent, but at least the fight scenes (when it does eventually get around to them) look amazing. It's not terrible, but go into it expecting it to be like Zero, and you be left disappointed. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    I Love Hunter X hunter the character development was brilliant especially the......
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Chimera ant king meruem i love him as a character first he stared of ass killing machine and after he started becoming more human. His relationship with that girl was just beautiful and the way he died brought closure to the arc, it was just great.
    Ikr! Meruems development as a character was the best thing about the arc, and the ending was very emotional

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omar717)
    Ikr! Meruems development as a character was the best thing about the arc, and the ending was very emotional
    I know it was very emotional combined with that sad yet great song made it even more sadder

ReputationRep:
    So far I'm not very impressed with HxH either. I'm on the Greed Island arc and so far it hasn't struck me as a 'masterpiece', you'd think with it's MAL score it would be. It's paced terribly and so far the only good arc (York Shin) ended way too quickly and abruptly, without any climax at all. Plus, I hear Kurapika doesn't return and he's easily my favourite character in the show.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by EdwardElric)
    So far I'm not very impressed with HxH either. I'm on the Greed Island arc and so far it hasn't struck me as a 'masterpiece', you'd think with it's MAL score it would be. It's paced terribly and so far the only good arc (York Shin) ended way too quickly and abruptly, without any climax at all. Plus, I hear Kurapika doesn't return and he's easily my favourite character in the show.
    Shame to hear that! As I explained in an earlier post, the 2011 series gives the early arcs the Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood treatment (i.e speeds through them in a rush to get to the new material). The change in pace after the end of Greed Island should be very noticeable. Again, I'd recommend sticking it out, as for me the Chimera Ant arc was on a whole different level to anything else before it, but that's just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Shame to hear that! As I explained in an earlier post, the 2011 series gives the early arcs the Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood treatment (i.e speeds through them in a rush to get to the new material). The change in pace after the end of Greed Island should be very noticeable. Again, I'd recommend sticking it out, as for me the Chimera Ant arc was on a whole different level to anything else before it, but that's just my opinion.
    Ah, I see. That would explain the quality of the earlier arcs. I think I may be a little harsh on the show, maybe because of all the hype surrounding it which put my expectations a little too high. I've heard good things about the Chimera Ant arc so I'll try sticking with it until then.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get the love-in around HxH either personally. I dropped it several times and it wasn't until the very end of the Heaven's Arena arc that I was interested in watching it. Thoroughly enjoyed the Yorknew City arc
    Spoiler:
    Show
    though I was incredibly disappointed that we were blue-balled when it came to Hisoka vs Chrollo.

I enjoyed the Greed Island arc a lot too, especially a certain game of dodgeball. After that, all of my favourite characters were absent for the Chimera Ant arc so I didn't enjoy that at all. That being said, episode 135 was a masterpiece and the best of the series imo.

Contrary to last week, I thought UBW was incredibly poor this week. Can't say I understood why today's events happened at all...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Archer's story was essentially the plot itself. His endless suffering had made him so determined to break and then kill Shirou that that had become his sole goal in life. There was no changing his mind. Right? Right...? Nope, remembers Kiritsugu and somehow that outweighs endless suffering. He only thought about it for 10 seconds as well, a quick decision. I can't accept that at all frankly...

On the other hand, I didn't think I could like anything more than I liked season 1 of Oregairu, but season 2 is definitely becoming my new favourite of all time.

ReputationRep:
    Gundam is the biggest mech franchise out there. :yes: The original Mobile Suit Gundam aired in 1979, while the most recent offering (excluding spin-offs), G no Reconguista, ended last season. And the only one I've watched fully is 08th MS Team. So that's something I feel I should do something about, especially since I really enjoyed both that and SEED. :p:

I avoided longer series like the plague, until I finally took the plunge and started One Piece a few years back. That's the longest thing I've watched by far, with Urusei Yatsura and Hunter x Hunter (oddly enough) a distand 2nd and 3rd. Naruto is also on my list of series to try and watch this year though, figured I'd see what all the fuss is about now that it's over. :giggle:

Unlimited Blade Works is very different in style to Fate/Zero - it focuses largely on just two master/servant couples, instead of telling the story from the perspective of a wide range of characters as Zero did. The masters are mostly high school age, and lack the life experience and interesting backgrounds that those in Zero had. The series' pacing is also inconsistent, but at least the fight scenes (when it does eventually get around to them) look amazing. It's not terrible, but go into it expecting it to be like Zero, and you be left disappointed. :sadnod:
    Sorry for the late reply

I can't stand Mecca I only liked it with Code Geass. I heard about Gundam and it's whole franchise, but it never really appealed to me.

Do you know longer watch one piece?I t's not due to end for a while now, I watched loads of episode at a point, like 3 years ago, but now I just tune in when I can. Think I might watch urusei, long animes are pretty cool, especially comedic ones haha. You should watch ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha if you haven't already, Uresei reminded me of ranma 1/2 for ome reason

Yeah Saber, I didn't really like how she was such an important part in fate/zero, I'm not sure why, she had too much honor for my liking lol. I was expecting it to be like fate/zero, but the reviews weren't the best on myanimelist, and I couldn't be bothered watching it subbed lol.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Sorry for the late reply

I can't stand Mecca I only liked it with Code Geass. I heard about Gundam and it's whole franchise, but it never really appealed to me.

Do you know longer watch one piece?I t's not due to end for a while now, I watched loads of episode at a point, like 3 years ago, but now I just tune in when I can. Think I might watch urusei, long animes are pretty cool, especially comedic ones haha. You should watch ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha if you haven't already, Uresei reminded me of ranma 1/2 for ome reason

Yeah Saber, I didn't really like how she was such an important part in fate/zero, I'm not sure why, she had too much honor for my liking lol. I was expecting it to be like fate/zero, but the reviews weren't the best on myanimelist, and I couldn't be bothered watching it subbed lol.
    I was wary of mechs for a long time, but looking back I don't really understand why. Code Geass was one of my first mech series too, along with Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Gunparade March. In all those series and most mech shows I've seen since, it's the plot and characters that stand out in my mind - the giant robots are just there to provide a premise and nice action scenes. :yes:

After I finally caught up with One Piece, I stopped watching as the pacing was too painfully slow for me to watch it weekly. Now, I wait for each new arc to end, and marathon it until I'm up to date again. So I haven't watched any in over a year, as the current Dressrosa arc seems to be a long one!

Not surprised Urusei Yatsura reminds you of Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha - they're all based on manga series by Takahashi Rumiko. :yes: I've not seen Ranma or Inuyasha yet myself, though I've been meaning to get around to the latter one day. Didn't enjoy Maison Ikkoku (also by Takahashi Rumiko), though, the fanservice in that was too extreme for my liking, so I dropped it at about 20 episodes.

ReputationRep:
    Mecha anime are awesome. You just need to find the right ones. IMO the best mechs series I've seen are NGE, Gunbuster/Diebuster, Macross series, Gurren Lagann and select Gundam titles (my favourite is Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team),

ReputationRep:
    Just finished Shigatsu Wa Kimi No Uso... :coma:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.