Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Just finished Shigatsu Wa Kimi No Uso... :coma:
    Slightly above average romcom with good production values, 6/10.

The monologues... Oh god why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MintyMilk)
    Slightly above average romcom with good production values, 6/10.

The monologues... Oh god why
    We got a hipster in the house

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    We got a hipster in the house
    Hipster because he has a different opinion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkhead)
    Hipster because he has a different opinion?
    I bet you he would think higher of it if the anime wasn't so popular. I'm almost certain.

ReputationRep:
    I'd also give Shigatsu wa kimi no uso a 6/10, I had a lot of problems with it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Guys can we not.....

I cried like 5 timed watching Shigatsu, plus as a musician myself much of dialogue and many of the characters resounded with me. I actually felt quite emotionally attached to them, which doesn't happen too often.

The soundtrack and visuals were both fantastic as well. I'd give it 9/10 for actually moving me and making me feel/relive the struggles the characters faced.

Haters gonna hate I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I really liked the first half of Shigatsu when it's focus was more on the musical side but the second half felt a bit repetitive and a lot of the 'comedy' was badly timed. Kaori felt like a background character at times. I did like the ending and final episode though. The music and visuals were good too. It would have been better if the characters were high schoolers about to move to college though rather than middle school students, 7/10 for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Guys can we not.....

I cried like 5 timed watching Shigatsu, plus as a musician myself much of dialogue and many of the characters resounded with me. I actually felt quite emotionally attached to them, which doesn't happen too often.

The soundtrack and visuals were both fantastic as well. I'd give it 9/10 for actually moving me and making me feel/relive the struggles the characters faced.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    "Can we not" what? So people can't think the show is mediocre? Why not?

Don't label people with different opinions "haters". Such a cop out response. A 6 or 7/10 is above average so it's not even like they don't like the show.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I can't give an opinion about Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, as I didn't watch it, but would also appreciate if people could discuss it and other shows without feeling the need to label each other 'haters', 'hipsters' or anything to that effect. Please? :puppyeyes:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Pinkhead)
    "Can we not" what? So people can't think the show is mediocre? Why not?

Don't label people with different opinions "haters". Such a cop out response. A 6 or 7/10 is above average so it's not even like they don't like the show.
    It was meant to be ironic...

Well, I kind of can, considering that the distribution of ratings on MAL is clustered in the highest rank positions (namely 10, 9, 8). Just voicing my opinion as well. Yeesh.

ReputationRep:
    Guys can we not.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Last time I checked a 6 out of 10 hardly counts as 'hating' something. Come on.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Finished Gundam SEED! Things certainly escalated quickly. :zomg: A good series, and I liked how it ended, so I won't go spoiling it all by rushing to watch SEED Destiny (not in the foreseeable future anyway). :p:

Sticking with mechs, but more of a super robot show this time around, I'll be starting GaoGaiGar. I watched the first episode years ago, but don't remember a thing about it... other than the epic opening theme~

ReputationRep:
    Just finished both Kaiji season 1&2 absolute fantastic watches, was glued to my seat for so long even though i was supposed to be revising

ReputationRep:
    It was meant to be ironic...

Well, I kind of can, considering that the distribution of ratings on MAL is clustered in the highest rank positions (namely 10, 9, 8). Just voicing my opinion as well. Yeesh.
    Just because a large proportion of the people on MAL (idiots) think that 7/10 is average, doesn't mean everyone does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Finished Gundam SEED! Things certainly escalated quickly. :zomg: A good series, and I liked how it ended, so I won't go spoiling it all by rushing to watch SEED Destiny (not in the foreseeable future anyway). :p:

Sticking with mechs, but more of a super robot show this time around, I'll be starting GaoGaiGar. I watched the first episode years ago, but don't remember a thing about it... other than the epic opening theme~

You should watch 0079.:yes: 70s campy fun:giggle: but yet theres that UC seriousness to it too. Surprised you havnt already with all the old obscure stuff you've seen.:tongue:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by vin)
    You should watch 0079.:yes: 70s campy fun:giggle: but yet theres that UC seriousness to it too. Surprised you havnt already with all the old obscure stuff you've seen.:tongue:
    Aimed at me, presumably? :p:

I have this one friend from Aber university days who is a major Gundam fan, and he gave me Turn A and Victory Gundam years ago. I also picked up After War Gundam X at some point. With those and SEED on my backlog, looking for any other Gundam series hasn't been a priority for a long time. :o: I'll certainly get around to it though... one day...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Aimed at me, presumably? :p:

I have this one friend from Aber university days who is a major Gundam fan, and he gave me Turn A and Victory Gundam years ago. I also picked up After War Gundam X at some point. With those and SEED on my backlog, looking for any other Gundam series hasn't been a priority for a long time. :o: I'll certainly get around to it though... one day...
    Starting at the beginning would make more sense.:hmmm: Victory is waaay at the end of it all. But watching from 0079 would be like an anime pilgrimage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MintyMilk)
    Just because a large proportion of the people on MAL (idiots) think that 7/10 is average, doesn't mean everyone does.
    Lol I will admit that many people on mal do rate shows extremely highly. 5/10 is average, not a 7/10 XD, it even states that on the site so I can't see how so many people consider a 7/10 as average and anything below that to be rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omar717)
    Lol I will admit that many people on mal do rate shows extremely highly. 5/10 is average, not a 7/10 XD, it even states that on the site so I can't see how so many people consider a 7/10 as average and anything below that to be rubbish.

A 7 is definitely above average (no pun intended) my personal view on average is 5/6. 7 is "just OK" an 8 is "very good but 2/3 problems" 9 is "fantastic barring 1 issue" and 10 is "utter masterpiece".

MAL's voting system is slightly flawed but is getting better than it used to be.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Omar717)
    IMO it's all relative - I don't normally pick up a series unless it looks remotely entertaining, so I give out very few ratings of 2/5 or below (4/10 to use MAL's system, but I'm on A-P), reserving them only for the rare series that start out good but end up disappointing horribly. But few shows are perfect, and as a result, the rating I give out most often is 3.5/5 (7/10). Guess I've unconsciously come to consider that 'my average' over time. And I do tend to rant about anything I've rated ~3, because they're lacking compared with the 4-5s (despite proving entertaining enough that I haven't dropped them). :p:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.