Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

ReputationRep:
    Just finished Nichijou, it was great. A really fun show!

ReputationRep:
    What was the first anime you've ever watched guys?
    And when did you start watching anime?

I know some ppl started from a young age but when we are kids, we don't actually know what we are doing, we just see something cool and attractive and so I mean you actually went out of your way to watch it. Like on your PC on something.

I am curious to know when people started.
    Started watching: January 2014
    First anime: The one and only... Hunter x Hunter 2011 :cool:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Abzey_97)

I know some ppl started from a young age but when we are kids, we don't actually know what we are doing, we just see something cool and attractive and so I mean you actually went out of your way to watch it. Like on your PC on something.

I usually count my start date as a general fan of anime and manga as July 10th 2005 (my 17th birthday, which makes it easier to remember). So almost 10 years ago. :yes: I was given money, but didn't know what to spend it on, and the cover art for Chobits in Waterstones' manga section caught my eye so I bought it on impulse. Best decision I ever made!

Further manga purchases and my first few anime DVDs soon followed, when I got back to college and could buy online (didn't have internet at home at the time), but I don't remember exactly what my first anime was. Likely Grave of the Fireflies or Princess Mononoke, as recommended by the previous TSR Anime Society leader (I've been around here for that long, too).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I usually count my start date as a general fan of anime and manga as July 10th 2005 (my 17th birthday, which makes it easier to remember). So almost 10 years ago. :yes: I was given money, but didn't know what to spend it on, and the cover art for Chobits in Waterstones' manga section caught my eye so I bought it on impulse. Best decision I ever made!

Further manga purchases and my first few anime DVDs soon followed, when I got back to college and could buy online (didn't have internet at home at the time), but I don't remember exactly what my first anime was. Likely Grave of the Fireflies or Princess Mononoke, as recommended by the previous TSR Anime Society leader (I've been around here for that long, too).
    Wow, so you got introduced to manga before anime. The only manga I've read is the manga of the first 50 episodes of one piece.
    Spirited Away was the first movie I watched. Princess Mononoke is really popular too.
    If Chobits never turned out good, would you still have pursued other mangas/animes?

(Have you any idea why the new Kekkai sensen episode and Kuroko no basuke has not come out yet? Thanks)

ReputationRep:
    Wow, so you got introduced to manga before anime. The only manga I've read is the manga of the first 50 episodes of one piece.
    Spirited Away was the first movie I watched. Princess Mononoke is really popular too.
    If Chobits never turned out good, would you still have pursued other mangas/animes?

(Have you any idea why the new Kekkai sensen episode and Kuroko no basuke has not come out yet? Thanks)
    Kuroko is delayed until Tuesday.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    It was the art that first caught my attention, so if I'd ended up picking a nice looking series with a terrible plot or characters, I'd hope that my interest in the art would have still sent me looking for more. Glad it didn't work out like that, though!

Kekkai Sensen has fallen behind schedule, hence the need for a recap episode two weeks ago, and a break this week. The final episode is due to air a week and a day late (since by then it'll have lost its late Saturday timeslot to Durarara!!x2 Ten).

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dail...remiere/.89011

ReputationRep:

Shaman king in like 2005

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

First anime was probably Pokemon, but first anime that I actually knew where anime was probably Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z, Escaflowne, Gundam Wing & Tenchi Muyo. They all aired on TV in the late 90s & I developed an interest immediately after & started looking about online for more. I started following the seasonal anime right when the surge in fansubbing happened - around 2006/7 - been following the seasons ever since!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    It was the art that first caught my attention, so if I'd ended up picking a nice looking series with a terrible plot or characters, I'd hope that my interest in the art would have still sent me looking for more. Glad it didn't work out like that, though!

Kekkai Sensen has fallen behind schedule, hence the need for a recap episode two weeks ago, and a break this week. The final episode is due to air a week and a day late (since by then it'll have lost its late Saturday timeslot to Durarara!!x2 Ten).

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dail...remiere/.89011
    Thanks!! Glad it worked out though because otherwise where would I get advice/answers from :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceFantatic)
    Shaman king in like 2005

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That looks like a really good manga. It's got an amazing plot though.
    Im happy I was introduced to it late because then theres soo many animes/mangas out there for me to discover.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caraniel)
    First anime was probably Pokemon, but first anime that I actually knew where anime was probably Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z, Escaflowne, Gundam Wing & Tenchi Muyo. They all aired on TV in the late 90s & I developed an interest immediately after & started looking about online for more. I started following the seasonal anime right when the surge in fansubbing happened - around 2006/7 - been following the seasons ever since!
    Ive never heard of the rest :unimpressed:
    I use to watch dragonball when I was really young so I cnt remember a lot of it.
    Being new to anime, I only found out recently that all of these animes come out on their TV screens in Japan :fuhrer:

But have u seen the youtube video "Vegeta's ****"...hilarious.

Thats nearly 10 yrs, I dnt think I'll ever lose interest in anime unless ,after one piece ends, shows like assasination classroom with boring and repetitive plots take the scene :getmecoat:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So, saw the final for Fate Stay UBW last night. I think I want to move to anime England, it looks much nicer than real England. The trains are clean and empty, and only comprise of two carriages.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Glad Shirou and Rin got to go to Hogwarts, and Waiver Velvet's balls dropped.

It wasn't by any means a terrible anime, it was visually nothing short of spectacular, but I couldn't exactly say that I was massively entertained by it either. Maybe it's because I already knew of the major 'twist' of that particular route prior to watching it. I can't help but feel it tried to come across as profound and intelligent through endless repetition/aggrandised speeches about ideals. Will be interesting to see what they do with the 'Heaven's Feel' route.

I gave up on Devil is a Part Timer around episode 8. It's still funny in parts, but I can't deal with animes where various female character vie for one man (or the other way around). Whether tsunderes or moe girls with big breaticles, their underlying aim is to woo an utterly dense dude

Really looking forward to the continuation of Durarara!!×2. Might also look at watching Monster and Eden of the East.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Added the second series of Sidonia no Kishi to my Top 50 anime list, with Le Portrait de Petit Cossette dropping out to make room for it. Worried that Polygon Pictures may not be planning a third series though, based on the tone of the closing scenes. :s:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper

I started watching anime when I was around 7 to 8, so that'll make it 24 to 25 years ago. It's difficult to remember my first anime because it's so long ago, but it's definitely either Sazae-san, Chibi Maruko-chan or Doraemon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    I started watching anime when I was around 7 to 8, so that'll make it 24 to 25 years ago. It's difficult to remember my first anime because it's so long ago, but it's definitely either Sazae-san, Chibi Maruko-chan or Doraemon.
    25 years!! Thats amazing.
    I can definitely see myself watching anime for the rest of my life as long as there are animes that reach or surpass my expectations.
    Anyways, that's passion right there :yy:.

So are you still going strong? Watch the latest animes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I can't wait for new yaoi!
    When I read the title, I knew that would be the first thing anime related to be said xD
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    25 years!! Thats amazing.
    I can definitely see myself watching anime for the rest of my life as long as there are animes that reach or surpass my expectations.
    Anyways, that's passion right there :yy:.

So are you still going strong? Watch the latest animes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I'm still watching anime, including those that air each season. It's been such an integral part of my life that I really can't see myself stopping. I haven't lost interest yet.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Just finished KanColle, which was top of my Winter to-watch list . This was the first show I have completed (even if it's only 12 eps) since I watched No Game, No Life last September :emo:

Man I miss this lifestyle so badly

ReputationRep:

My first anime was outlaw star, first time i saw a naked woman as well, I've never looked back since then😎😎😎😎

ReputationRep:

I remember watching Doraemon when I was on holiday in Italy (I was like 11) and I remember really enjoying it, despite not knowing that it was an anime at all. The Italian dub wasn't half bad either.

If we're talking about my first anime that I started when I became a fan, that would be Magi : The Labyrinth of Magic, which I watched around July 2014.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.