Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

• Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    Death Note seems to be picking up again for the finale. There were a few slow episodes around the late 20's but it seems to be back on track. Like a snail I will finish it eventually.
    I watched this recently, what do you think? :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What are some good series around 50 episodes long? I want some longer series to watch between all the shorter stuff but nothing too long. The only ones I've already watched around this length are Nana and Cross Game.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    What are some good series around 50 episodes long? I want some longer series to watch between all the shorter stuff but nothing too long. The only ones I've already watched around this length are Nana and Cross Game.
    A lot of older classics are around about 50 episodes long - e.g. space opera Captain Harlock, shoujo staple Rose of Versailles, World Masterpiece Theatre titles like Akage no Anne etc. I'd recommend any of the above, but if you'd prefer something newer, there's also the likes of Eureka Seven, Beelzebub and Soul Eater.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    A lot of older classics are around about 50 episodes long - e.g. space opera Captain Harlock, shoujo staple Rose of Versailles, World Masterpiece Theatre titles like Akage no Anne etc. I'd recommend any of the above, but if you'd prefer something newer, there's also the likes of Eureka Seven, Beelzebub and Soul Eater.
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Rose)
    I watched this recently, what do you think? :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's pretty good. I try to avoid stuff that people hype as people (myself included) have poor taste and like to yap on about stuff I'm throughly enjoying this though unlike Monster, which didn't quite cut it for me.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Ki Yung Na)
    Cool stuff, do you read reviews before you watch stuff? (Questions applies to everyone here really)

I rarely read reviews before I start watching something, usually it's a quick read of the first paragraph that summaries what someone likes, and if a lot agree then I go along and try it out for myself. I might start writing reviews, I like reading them after I've watched something to pick up things I missed or to agree/disagree with other peoples opinions

I like the layout of your review blog, also recognise a few so will have a read, thanks for sharing!
    No, I don’t read reviews before picking something up, mainly because I generally try to watch the first episode of everything that’s airing, anyway. In fact, I’m not very picky when it comes to anime and can pretty much enjoy anything. It’s more of a question of time these days if I’m not watching something. That said, I always make sure to watch the PV and to check the staff/studio behind an anime, especially the seiyuu. I also factor the source material. But yeah, I don’t read reviews myself.

I’m glad you like the layout of the blog. The reviews themselves are far from perfect and weren’t really meant to be overly comprehensive. I didn’t even proof read them. I guess I just wanted to archive them somewhere for my own purposes and figured I’d share them. It’s also a shame that the reviews thread died off. It was a great idea by AJ. :yes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    In addition to those AJ recommended, Blood+, Kemono no Sou-ja Erin, Nana, Hikaru no Go, Great Teacher Onizuka, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi come to mind and are around 50 episodes (I think). If you're willing to stretch a bit further, Monster is definitely worth seeing, if you haven't already (and should have really been around 50 episodes, in my opinion). Oh, and a lot of the Gundam series are around 50 episodes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    In addition to those AJ recommended, Blood+, Kemono no Sou-ja Erin, Nana, Hikaru no Go, Great Teacher Onizuka, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi come to mind and are around 50 episodes (I think). If you're willing to stretch a bit further, Monster is definitely worth seeing, if you haven't already (and should have really been around 50 episodes, in my opinion). Oh, and a lot of the Gundam series are around 50 episodes.
    Thanks. I watched Whisper of the Heart after reading your review and enjoyed it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Thanks. I watched Whisper of the Heart after reading your review and enjoyed it.
    I'm glad my review of the film prompted you to watch it. It's a great film.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I finished Punch Line earlier, one of the few cases where my inability to drop shows I don't like actually paid off. It was no Steins;Gate, but the story was interesting nonetheless. I just wonder whether all the pants were really necessary...

(Original post by Aiko)
    It’s also a shame that the reviews thread died off. It was a great idea by AJ. :yes:
    Cheers, it was fun while it lasted. And technically still there if people want to contribute, unless the mods still dislike bumping old threads? :dontknow: I don't have the time to sit down and write anything decent at the moment, though.

ReputationRep:
    Well Death Note is finished at long last. Overall a 4/5 but with some issues... Read spoilers at own peril - Aldnoah Zero spoilers included for some reason.

Spoiler:
    Show
    The rating dropped from a 4.5 due to the last episode. I'm aware it's only following the Manga but I have to say that ending was shoddy. A very convenient plot device turns the tide against Light, a quote from MAL summarises my views quite well:
    "I totally hate the ending, precisely, the part about giovanni replacing the real notebook.
    How come Giovanni could forge the entire notebook in just one day ? Mikami seemed a logical and intelligent character, strictly listening to "God's" orders and he acted on his own when his was told not to do anything ? And also, the SPK didn't know it was possible to make judgements with pieces of death note. Why didn't Light tell Mikami to have a special seperate page of dn hidden somewhere in his clothes, just in case the real notebook was discovered ? Light and Mikami suddenly turned into total fools ? I just don't buy it, it's plain naive. It totally ruined the outcome. I understand the manga/anime developers wanted Near to win at the end, which seems logical, but they could have made a much more credible plot. Shame on you !"

I can't help but think this reinforces the view that DN should have ended on episode 26 following L's death. I haven't been this annoyed with a series since Aldnoah Zero decided to resurrect Jesus with a bionic eye. Aside from the ending, the middle episodes of DN seemed to drag on which was tedious at times. However I must admit it is worth watching this series if you can commit to something this long.

ReputationRep:
    Just finished Nobunaga Concerto! I really enjoyed it thanks for the recommendation!

Just sad it cuts off .

ReputationRep:
    Anyone still watching Naruto?(gives a post rating)

ReputationRep:
    Well Death Note is finished at long last... Overall a 4/5 but with some issues...
    I agree with you about the ending but you've spoiled a different anime in your spoiler tag while only making it clear there's Death Note spoilers.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you about the ending but you've spoiled a different anime in your spoiler tag while only making it clear there's Death Note spoilers.
    I've edited it but to be fair it is in a spoiler bracket some people on here and MAL don't even say what the spoiler is in relation to meaning I just have to open it to see if its relevant.

ReputationRep:
    The dub for Tokyo Ghoul is actually quite good. I was expecting a mess like Root A, but it's quite well done. Pierrot should never get their grubby hands on anything again.

ReputationRep:
    I've edited it but to be fair it is in a spoiler bracket some people on here and MAL don't even say what the spoiler is in relation to meaning I just have to open it to see if its relevant.
    By that logic you can only open a spoiler bracket if you've seen every anime ever made.

ReputationRep:
    By that logic you can only open a spoiler bracket if you've seen every anime ever made.
    True its anime logic

ReputationRep:
    The whole anime finishing on a series ending cliff hanger, or simply just clearly hasn't, like Nobunaga-Concerto did, and for them to probably never to be continued or be resolved. The worst occurrence for me is No game No life, I was distraught. Is it just me who gets annoyed at this flaw in anime or is it universal, if so, what's the worst occurrence for you?

edit: btw I've worded this all really strangely, I hope you all understand what I'm getting at.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Life48)
    The whole anime finishing on a series ending cliff hanger, or simply just clearly hasn't, like Nobunaga-Concerto did, and for them to probably never to be continued or be resolved. The worst occurrence for me is No game No life, I was distraught. Is it just me who gets annoyed at this flaw in anime or is it universal, if so, what's the worst occurrence for you?

edit: btw I've worded this all really strangely, I hope you all understand what I'm getting at.
    It's fairly common, since there's more of a tendency for anime studios to adapt series that are still ongoing (to boost sales of the original manga, light novel or whatever), instead of going for something that already has an ending. Anime original endings used to be the common solution, but most of those were pretty bad in their own right, and killed off any chance of a sequel. Presumably that's the reason cliffhangers are now on the rise instead, as then they can always make more once there's more source material... if the Blurays and DVDs for the first series sell well.

The worst non-ending that springs to mind for me is that of Sidonia no Kishi: Daikyuu Wakusei Seneki, though that may just be because it was recent. It was presented in a way that strongly suggested they weren't planning on making a third series, despite all the plot development and build up in the second series that never came to anything. Thankfully, I also read the manga, so I'm aware of what happens next, but it would still have been great to see it all animated. :s:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.