Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if the Kyoukai no Kanata movie has a sub yet?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Anyone know if the Kyoukai no Kanata movie has a sub yet?
    AniDB says there aren't. I had a quick look myself to confirm, but it doesn't look like there's even any raws out yet.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I killed the thread! :blow:

Here's the Autumn Anime Preview thread :blow:

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I'm gonna miss the summer season. I didn't like it at first but it's turned out to be pretty solid in the end. Rokka is my personal favourite, really impressed with how that's improved and I hope we can get another season of it.

Also, I finally fixed my Anime Planet problem. Turns out that F-Secure anti-virus blocks the site (even when it's turned off...) and you have to allow it specifically, even though it was fine with the program before. So if anyone else has that unique combination of anime list and anti-virus, there's the answer to your troubles!

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely love Zank You no Terror.

Tokyo Ghoul... Not so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I killed the thread! :blow:

Here's the Autumn Anime Preview thread :blow:
    Good job as usual amigo! Haven't read yet but shall has a gander in a while.

ReputationRep:
    Took me a bit longer than AJ, but my Autumn preview is also done!

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Overall, I've enjoyed this summer season. Particular standouts would be:

Gangsta
    Gate
    Akagami no Shirayukihime
    Charlotte
    Rokka no Yuusha
    Overlord
    Dragon Ball Super
    God Eater (tentative because of the episode delays)

Guilty pleasures would be:

To Love-Ru: Darkness 2nd
    Monster Musume
    Okusama ga Seito Kaichou
    Kussen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan

I still need and want to watch:

Durarara x2 Ten
    Gatchman Crowds Insight
    Prison School

And lastly, I'm severely behind on:

Chaos Dragon: Sekiryu Seneki
    Fate/kaleid Liner Prsima Illya 2wei Herz!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    So many final episodes today! I finished:

Chaos Dragon - It had a lot of good points, such as genuinely interesting characters in Lou and Sweallow, and an interesting magic system... but the plot and pacing were a mess. The final episode was one of the more entertaining to watch so far though, I'll give it that!

Aoharu x Kikanjuu - A passable ending to a series that, while not overly original, had some very likable and fun characters. I'd have liked to have seen more survival games, though.

Gate - Next season's looking grim enough without this series deciding to take a break until January! That was in no way, shape or form a final episode, just a setup for the next arc. I'll look forward to it returning, at any rate!

Rokka no Yuusha - Is now in my all-time Top 50. And if it doesn't get a sequel, I'll be very disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    I've been a bit out of the loop with the summer season lately, but I plan to catch up with Rokka no Yuusha and power through a few more shows once they've finished. Can't wait for One Punch Man though.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    So many final episodes today! I finished:

Chaos Dragon - It had a lot of good points, such as genuinely interesting characters in Lou and Sweallow, and an interesting magic system... but the plot and pacing were a mess. The final episode was one of the more entertaining to watch so far though, I'll give it that!
    I've only watched the first two episodes of this and it seemed promising. I still remember liking how they presented the opening credits at the very beginning. Shame the plot and pacing suffered. I'll definitely need to get back to this one.

Aoharu x Kikanjuu
    - A passable ending to a series that, while not overly original, had some very likable and fun characters. I'd have liked to have seen more survival games, though.
    I forgot to include this one in my post above. The first few episodes were enjoyable enough, but the anime failed to keep me interested enough to want to watch it. I should probably play catch up at some point.

Gate
    - Next season's looking grim enough without this series deciding to take a break until January! That was in no way, shape or form a final episode, just a setup for the next arc. I'll look forward to it returning, at any rate!
    Well, if a sequel has already been confirmed, I wouldn't have expected any closure from the last episode of this season. I still haven't seen it myself. Will watch it in a bit.

Rokka no Yuusha
    - Is now in my all-time Top 50. And if it doesn't get a sequel, I'll be very disappointed.
    This far exceeded my expectations and I managed to hold back spoiling myself on who the "seventh" was. The only downside for me would be the animation. It really takes a nosedive at times, particularly during the action scenes, and it's clear new studio Passione were either struggling financially or lacked the resource internally to pull off a series of this kind. On the whole, it was passable and didn't disrupt my enjoyment of the anime.

ReputationRep:
    Rokka has so much more content available. There are 6 novels atm, with a 7th coming soon, and the anime only covered the first. So hopefully we'll see another season.

The animation was indeed the downside. Fortunately, the show became less action and more mystery, so there weren't too many scenes that needed good animation.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Aiko)
    I've only watched the first two episodes of this and it seemed promising. I still remember liking how they presented the opening credits at the very beginning. Shame the plot and pacing suffered. I'll definitely need to get back to this one.
    It's definitely worth a watch, just don't expect a masterpiece. :nah:

(Original post by Aiko)
    This far exceeded my expectations and I managed to hold back spoiling myself on who the "seventh" was. The only downside for me would be the animation. It really takes a nosedive at times, particularly during the action scenes, and it's clear new studio Passione were either struggling financially or lacked the resource internally to pull off a series of this kind. On the whole, it was passable and didn't disrupt my enjoyment of the anime.
    I'm also glad I managed to avoid spoilers for Rokka, especially since I couldn't resist reading the MAL episodic discussion threads. Even with their no-spoiler policy, there were a lot of light novel readers present, so it could have ended badly. :p:

While I agree the animation wasn't great in places, it wasn't bad enough to bother me. Arslan Senki has been far worse, and Gangsta, Symphogear GX and Durarara!! x2 Ten (altogether making up my top 5 series of the season) have their derpy moments too.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    As much as I'd like a sequel to Rokka no Yuusha, sales haven't been great in Japan and that's usually how sequels are determined, especially when you consider that Passione are a new studio. That said, I've read that sales in China are apparently through the roof, so you never know.

ReputationRep:
    Good reads from AJ & Cara! I'll be giving this season a miss as well though. The lack of anything to spark my interest means i'll try and watch something from the backlog.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I'll be at the Kotatsu Film Festival in Cardiff on Saturday, watching Short Peace (a collection of short films Buki yo Saraba, Gambo, Hi no Youjin and Tsukumo), Tiger & Bunny: The Rising and Wings of Honneamise. Will share my thoughts on those when I get back on Sunday.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be at the Kotatsu Film Festival in Cardiff on Saturday, watching Short Peace (a collection of short films Buki yo Saraba, Gambo, Hi no Youjin and Tsukumo), Tiger & Bunny: The Rising and Wings of Honneamise. Will share my thoughts on those when I get back on Sunday.
    I've recently moved to Cardiff since I'm now studying at the university there! I might head down there myself, looks like the anime society there is going.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    :tumble:

Will share my thoughts on those when I get back on Sunday.
    Short Peace - Actually ended up being my favourite of the three main features I watched. All four short films were good, though I enjoyed Buki yo Saraba the most.

Tiger & Bunny: The Rising - I liked this more than I thought I would. The plot was quite basic, and added nothing to the series, but worth it to see more of the fun cast.

Wings of Honneamise - They probably shouldn't have advertised this as PG, considering they aired the uncensored version. Anime Limited's release rates it 15. :mmm: But anyway, I can see why it became a cult classic. A really interesting setting and story, and ridiculously nice animation.

ReputationRep:
    What did anyone think about Gakkou Gurashi? I haven't finished it and only watched 5 eps but was it good overall?

That's about all I watched this season tbh. Wanted to watch more but I didn't have the time haha. Can't wait for one punch man in fall.

Non seasonal:

Started Darker Than Black—it's awesome.
    One more episode of k-on! left—it was decent.
    Nearly finished School Days—let's just say I don't like it xD.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Omar717)
    What did anyone think about Gakkou Gurashi? I haven't finished it and only watched 5 eps but was it good overall?
    I really liked it, I thought the clash of two different genres worked well, and they got the balance between moe cute school club and zombie survival horror just right. It also had one of the best final eps of the season (so far), in my opinion.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.