Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

Announcements

okay fair enough
    (Original post by EdwardElric)
    Give it until episode 5 at least, that's where I think it gets really good.

I wouldn't consider comedy to be Bebop's primary focus, but episode 17 is especially hilarious (at least I think it is).

ReputationRep:
    Why are there so many manga that are republished in German and in French, but not in English.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Fango_Jett)
    Why are there so many manga that are republished in German and in French, but not in English.
    I've not got any statistics to go on here, but I imagine a lot more gets published in English than in other European languages on the whole - there's certainly more US publishers at least. But yeah, there are plenty of manga I'm interested in that aren't available in English, but that did make it to France or Germany. Makes me wish I'd had lessons in those languages earlier in life, when it may have stood a chance of sinking in. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I've not got any statistics to go on here, but I imagine a lot more gets published in English than in other European languages on the whole - there's certainly more US publishers at least. But yeah, there are plenty of manga I'm interested in that aren't available in English, but that did make it to France or Germany. Makes me wish I'd had lessons in those languages earlier in life, when it may have stood a chance of sinking in. :p:
    True. I'm not saying that most are in French/German, but it's certainly a bit irritating when (even for some quite popular manga) they don't make it to English, and I have to rely on scanlations.

I think there are some anime that have met the same fate. Beelzebub never had an english release if I am not mistaken. It got a Hungarian dub and a french DVD release though.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    True. I'm not saying that most are in French/German, but it's certainly a bit irritating when (even for some quite popular manga) they don't make it to English, and I have to rely on scanlations.

I think there are some anime that have met the same fate. Beelzebub never had an english release if I am not mistaken. It got a Hungarian dub and a french DVD release though.
    Beelzebub used to be on Crunchyroll in English (though whether it was US exclusive or not, I can't remember). Either way, the license expired, and it hasn't been picked up by anyone else to my knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Beelzebub used to be on Crunchyroll in English (though whether it was US exclusive or not, I can't remember). Either way, the license expired, and it hasn't been picked up by anyone else to my knowledge.
    I thought it was only on because of how copyright infringing content was being put up before CR became legit.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I thought it was only on because of how copyright infringing content was being put up before CR became legit.
    Nah, Beelzebub aired in 2011, a full two years after Crunchyroll went fully legit. :yes: Their license to stream it just expired last year.

Also, I stand corrected - apparently Discotek licensed Beelzebub in August (for the US, but you never know where things will go from there).

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-master/.92209

ReputationRep:
    Post your Myanimelist/Hummingbird/Anime-Planet list guys. I want to stalk people for more shows and manga.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Mine's always in my signature, but here's the link anyway.

http://www.anime-planet.com/users/AngryJellyfish

ReputationRep:
    Mine's always in my signature, but here's the link anyway.

http://www.anime-planet.com/users/AngryJellyfish
    Good list. I'll be sure to check out some of the shows on there.

I'm still building my list on AP. It's takes so much time for me. I end up watching shows I find while organizing instead.

ReputationRep:
    Post your Myanimelist/Hummingbird/Anime-Planet list guys. I want to stalk people for more shows and manga.
    MAL - http://myanimelist.net/profile/Caraniel
    Anime-Planet - http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Caraniel

I keep both pretty up to date with anime - manga is a different ballgame though, lists are all over the place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caraniel)
    MAL - http://myanimelist.net/profile/Caraniel
    Anime-Planet - http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Caraniel

I keep both pretty up to date with anime - manga is a different ballgame though, lists are all over the place.
    Thanks! I'll go check out and see if there are any romance/romcoms I have missed in there.

ReputationRep:
    Can't remember if I ever asked for a series rec' to get me back into the whole anime thing? Not watched anything since Death Note a fair while back.

Below is my Anime-Planet (same name on MAL but prefer AP)!
    http://www.anime-planet.com/users/papasmurf418/anime
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    Can't remember if I ever asked for a series rec' to get me back into the whole anime thing? Not watched anything since Death Note a fair while back.

Below is my Anime-Planet (same name on MAL but prefer AP)!
    http://www.anime-planet.com/users/papasmurf418/anime
    Some random suggestions from my Top 50: Rokka no Yuusha, Baccano! or Gankutsuou. Or if they're no good, let me know what kind of series you're looking for. :yes: And since this isn't the secret santa, I won't chase after you for feedback either. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Some random suggestions from my Top 50: Rokka no Yuusha, Baccano! or Gankutsuou. Or if they're no good, let me know what kind of series you're looking for. :yes: And since this isn't the secret santa, I won't chase after you for feedback either. :p:
    Thanks AJ! I never did get time to watch your secret santa choices Maybe that's what I should do (before the next secret santa). Been crazy after leaving uni last year, got virtually no time for le animes - and I loved a good monthly marathon on AP!

ReputationRep:
    The Mardock Scramble trilogy sure was a ride. That first movie was...something, though it did tone down the oddity/creepiness in the next two.

And even though I still don't remain a fan of the animation style, I found Knights of Sidonia quite compelling, though that could be I rarely watch mechery-battles in space stuff so it was more fresh to me.

ReputationRep:
    Season 2 of Arslan announced for 2016. Dunno how many episodes it is or what time of the year in 2016, but I enjoyed the show so I'm happy to have more.

ReputationRep:
    Have to say that I don't really get the hype around One Punch Man. That's not to say that I think it's bad, but a large group of people seem to think it's the best anime ever, much larger than I've seen for any other recent, popular anime (e.g. Fate or Attack on Titan). It looks fantastic but there's no story and not much comedy... I just don't see it. Will continue watching regardless because it's animated so well though.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by xDave-)
    Have to say that I don't really get the hype around One Punch Man. That's not to say that I think it's bad, but a large group of people seem to think it's the best anime ever, much larger than I've seen for any other recent, popular anime (e.g. Fate or Attack on Titan). It looks fantastic but there's no story and not much comedy... I just don't see it. Will continue watching regardless because it's animated so well though.
    I'm actually liking the comedy so far, and as you say the animation is fantastic, but other than that I agree it doesn't stand out much yet. Still, it's only just beginning, I'm hoping I'll understand what all the hype was about by the time some more characters have been introduced. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Searching "anime" on Amazon UK gives you so much weird stuff these days. I swear the first 5 results.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.