Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Back to watching anime properly for the first time since moving back + setting up my PC (I saw one or two eps on Monday, but that's nothing compared to my usual routine. :p:). Figured that switching my screen resolution down to 720p for new series is the best solution to the upscaling problem I had before; switching back and forth is a minor hassle, and I wouldn't want to leave it on 720p permanently either, but the quality difference makes it worth it. Had to turn the resolution down even further for Angelic Layer though (800x600, that isn't even widescreen!), and even then the video doesn't touch the sides of the screen. :p:

ReputationRep:
    White beard ...doesnt actually have a beard.:erm:

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend and I have both agreed that we're going to have to finish watching the trainwreck Togainu no Chi anime if nobody rescues the manga license from Tokyopop (very unlikely). To save us from that godawful fate, does anybody know anywhere where we could read the whole manga run scanlated?

Also, if there are any people here who are extremely good at finding tricky manga that are sort of BL, does anybody know where we could find scanlations of the later semi-canon Fumi Yoshinaga doujinshi for Antique Bakery? Or really translations of any of her doujin, excluding the first eight or so AB ones, which are relatively easy to get hold of.

- Pips
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Pippin4242)
    My girlfriend and I have both agreed that we're going to have to finish watching the trainwreck Togainu no Chi anime if nobody rescues the manga license from Tokyopop (very unlikely). To save us from that godawful fate, does anybody know anywhere where we could read the whole manga run scanlated?

Also, if there are any people here who are extremely good at finding tricky manga that are sort of BL, does anybody know where we could find scanlations of the later semi-canon Fumi Yoshinaga doujinshi for Antique Bakery? Or really translations of any of her doujin, excluding the first eight or so AB ones, which are relatively easy to get hold of.

- Pips
    Haven't a clue, but you're not supposed to ask for scanlation/fansub sites here, as posting such links goes against site rules. :hmmm:

I know that Summer hasn't even started yet, but Autumn is shaping up nicely:

(Original post by Shakugan no Shana III (Final) Anime to Air This Fall)

The July issue of ASCII Media Works' Dengeki Bunko Magazine is announcing on Friday that the Shakugan no Shana III (Final) anime will premiere on television this fall.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, forgive me. I wasn't aware of that rule. (I should have read up, I suppose). Though we are talking about a series which we've been watching legally, streaming, and have bought all the manga for, up until the demise of TP. And in the case of AB, of course, as you know, I own all the manga, and I'm hoping for an R2 license, but there's no hope for the doujin, no matter how popular Yoshinaga becomes over here.

- Pips
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Pippin4242)
    Ah, forgive me. I wasn't aware of that rule. (I should have read up, I suppose). Though we are talking about a series which we've been watching legally, streaming, and have bought all the manga for, up until the demise of TP. And in the case of AB, of course, as you know, I own all the manga, and I'm hoping for an R2 license, but there's no hope for the doujin, no matter how popular Yoshinaga becomes over here.

- Pips
    I'm not doubting your contributions to the industry, which are likely far greater than mine, it is a TSR rule as opposed to an anime society rule. :sadnod:

Episode 8 of Seikon no Qwaser II just got released... Oh dear, this is going to look horrendous on the big screen. And that's even without taking the series' content into account. :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by vin)
    White beard ...doesnt actually have a beard.:erm:
    Indeed, one of the many paradoxes of One Piece. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if it's the same for anyone else, but as well as the subject material, I also find Steins gate a bit strange for another reason, as I find myself hard to take it at face value, and I constantly ponder if perhaps some of the oddness is merely made up/exaggerated by the main character ala an "unreliable narrator" :nyoron:

ReputationRep:
    speaking of steins;gate ep 10
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "All the moe is gone from Akiba?!:zomg:"
    :hahaha: take that moetards go get your mio figures to shove up your arse from further away:mmm:

looked into whether the game had been translated at all and it didnt seem to be in any form

ReputationRep:
    I'm revisiting old animes I've started and/or forgotten.
    At the moment I've got these listed down and hoping to watch during the summer.

Kimi ni Todoke season 2
    K-on season 2 (with all the talk going on, it reminded me I haven't watched the second season yet!)
    Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro (this is quite old but I remember watching a few episodes and I enjoyed it. Very simple and dumb downed mystery anime. xD)
    Soul Eater (is this even ongoing still?)
    Bakemonogatari
    Kyou Kara Maoh

That should last me for a month or so, on top of the ones I'm already watching. ^^
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ella37)
    I'm revisiting old anime I've started and/or forgotten.
    At the moment I've got these listed down and hoping to watch during the summer.

Soul Eater (is this even ongoing still?)
    Unless you mean the manga, the anime for Soul Eater finished over two years ago...

ReputationRep:
    And the manga pace is sloooooow! It's a monthly, so at least the chapters are nice and meaty, but I'm not used to following slow shounen things.

I finished Berserk last night. Great ending. I don't think I could have hoped for any more. There's a lot of subtlety of emotion in that show - the post mortem on the sofa with my girlfriend lasted about an hour. Tonight we're going to watch the outtakes, just because the friend who lent it to us said that watching them ruined the show for her, and she's coming over.

Girlfriend has a day off next week - oh, and she's taken one for your birthday, AJ, despite the fact that nobody's using your thread - so I'm hoping to get her to watch End of Evangelion for the first time. And on regular weeknights, I'm going to try and restart her with Wolf's Rain, despite the fact that she thinks it's all *-*-MAGIC WOOOOLFIES-*-* and retardedness. Dammit, I need to share my insane BONES boner with someone!

- Pips
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Set up MPC to play Japanese audio with subs by default, something I've always wanted to do, but didn't know how/couldn't be bothered finding out. Nice to be able to load up episodes of Angelic Layer without the risk of my ears bleeding when I forget to switch languages. I find it strange that now I have a decent PC I feel determined to improve things I could also have done on my laptop... I suppose I just got used to the idea that it sucked, whereas this one is shiny and new, and could be even shinier with a little polish. :p:

Speaking of Angelic Layer, I'm now a couple of episodes from finishing it. I found the concept great at first, but it soon got repetitive; unless the ending changes my opinion I'll be rating it fairly average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Speaking of Angelic Layer, I'm now a couple of episodes from finishing it. I found the concept great at first, but it soon got repetitive; unless the ending changes my opinion I'll be rating it fairly average.
    I found the same, it wasn't amazing just run of the mill, but you said you'd been looking forward to it for quite some time so I didn't want to shatter the delusions illusions

Also I watched it dubbed :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    steins;gate 10 :erm:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    stolen from AP forums

I want to watch more:sad: dont want to wait a week:hmpf:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Truered)
    I found the same, it wasn't amazing just run of the mill, but you said you'd been looking forward to it for quite some time so I didn't want to shatter the delusions illusions

Also I watched it dubbed :ahee:
    It's not so much that I'd been looking forward to it for years (if I had I'd likely have gotten it ages ago), more that it had been in the back of my mind for a long time since I liked the character designs. When I thought about downloading series, it never quite made the lists, due to me either forgetting about it or deciding something else looked better. ANN and A-P both rate it very average, so I wasn't expecting a masterpiece. :nah:

ReputationRep:
    Unless you mean the manga, the anime for Soul Eater finished over two years ago...
    Nope, anime. I feel more inclined to spend my summer watching anime and reading novels instead of mangas.
    Wow it's been that long ago? I have a habit of forgetting anime and then remembering to finish them off a couple of months later. Oh well, I prefer watching series in marathon anyway.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Angelic Layer's ending was on par with the rest of the series - good, but not great. Next I'll be watching Fantastic Children, another show I've neglected for too long.

As for downloads, a new 1 TB of space is proving too tempting not to fill up, so I'm going for another (fairly) long series in Akazukin Chacha. Can't remember how this series was brought to my attention, other than that it was in the early days of my anime obsession. If you'd asked me to list 5 anime from the 90s I'd have struggled, but no doubt this would have been on the list alongside the really well known ones. :p:

ReputationRep:
    was looking into getting super dimension fortress macross.... found it remastered SD... 800mb per ep:indiff:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Angelic Layer's ending was on par with the rest of the series - good, but not great. Next I'll be watching Fantastic Children, another show I've neglected for too long.
    Indeed, about time. :hmmm: :tongue:

As for downloads, a new 1 TB of space is proving too tempting not to fill up, so I'm going for another (fairly) long series in Akazukin Chacha. Can't remember how this series was brought to my attention, other than that it was in the early days of my anime obsession. If you'd asked me to list 5 anime from the 90s I'd have struggled, but no doubt this would have been on the list alongside the really well known ones. :p:
    Incidentally, I dropped this series after eight episodes. I'll be curious to find out what you think of it because I was around 13 to 14 at the time.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.