Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Having entered fandom at about the same time as you, AJ, I remember seeing a lot of Akazukin Chacha about as well, and I've always wondered what it was about that show. My guess is that it was just being subbed for the first time.

- Pips
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Pippin4242)
    Having entered fandom at about the same time as you, AJ, I remember seeing a lot of Akazukin Chacha about as well, and I've always wondered what it was about that show. My guess is that it was just being subbed for the first time.

- Pips
    Interesting, I would have assumed it would have been fan-subtitled by somebody before 2005 (which, to my recollection, is when AJ started to watch anime) given that it aired in the mid 90s.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, Akazukin Chacha. I vaguely remember watching a dubbed version when I was really young. I don't even remember what it's about except that I think somehow the 3 characters magically join together to form a magical girl. XD
    So nostalgic!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Interesting, I would have assumed it would have been fan-subtitled by somebody before 2005 (which, to my recollection, is when AJ started to watch anime) given that it aired in the mid 90s.
    Not necessarily, with internet fansubbing only really kicking off circa 2000, sub groups choosing to focus on older series had a large backlog to choose from (and still do, though they seem to have covered most of the 90s by now). It's quite possible that a group interested in subbing Akazukin Chacha didn't show up until 2005/06 - or maybe it got re-released on DVD at this time, making high quality raws easily available. Alternatively, they may have been subbing it for a long time, but very slowly.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Not necessarily, with internet fansubbing only really kicking off circa 2000, sub groups choosing to focus on older series had a large backlog to choose from (and still do, though they seem to have covered most of the 90s by now). It's quite possible that a group interested in subbing Akazukin Chacha didn't show up until 2005/06 - or maybe it got re-released on DVD at this time, making high quality raws easily available. Alternatively, they may have been subbing it for a long time, but very slowly.
    Well, from my understanding, fan-subbing began during the late 80s with the C/FO et al. Granted, distribution was made considerably easier with the advent of the internet, which only really became available for many at the dawn of the 21st century. Obviously, I'm aware that many anime of old may have missed the fan-subbing net, but for one of such significance as Akazukin Chacha to have only been picked up in 2005, which is relatively recent, surprised me.

Edit: On that note, I've finished Lupin and intend to revisit Gineiden, likely during my long haul flight.

ReputationRep:
    I found this :lolwut: http://moeticjustice.blogspot.com/20...ansubbing.html anime was turned into ascii code...

But pre internet it required getting raws and needed expensive equipment and pissing around with vhs and quality was just so poor.:erm: With the internet about there was no need for medium like vhs :yucky: and then things could really take off. It just seemd like a huuge amount of work for not that great a product in the end which didnt reach many people but it was the only way back then.

more history http://uk.anime.ign.com/articles/850/850521p1.html
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by vin)
    I found this :lolwut: http://moeticjustice.blogspot.com/20...ansubbing.html anime was turned into ascii code...

But pre internet it required getting raws and needed expensive equipment and pissing around with vhs and quality was just so poor.:erm: With the internet about there was no need for medium like vhs :yucky: and then things could really take off.
    I've probably watched the majority of my anime on VHS up to 98 or so. Moreover, even when my family first had the internet, I found it originally impossible to download anything on dialup with my meagre 3.5kb/s. As such, buying/renting anime on VHS remained by far the most accessible way to watch what I wanted. In fact, I only really began to download anime around 02. :yes:

Edit: Interesting article on IGN, even though it's not particularly comprehensive.

It's also worth noting that VHS was inline with broadcast quality, not to mention CRT displays of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    I've probably watched the majority of my anime on VHS up to 98 or so. Moreover, even when my family first had the internet, I found it originally impossible to download anything on dialup with my meagre 3.5kb/s. As such, buying/renting anime on VHS remained by far the most accessible way to watch what I wanted. In fact, I only really began to download anime around 02. :yes:

Edit: Interesting article on IGN, even though it's not particularly comprehensive.
    more on wiki, but the best one I read about watching anime back then was a blog entry from a guy who was into all that himself and wrote about how difficult it all was :sadnod: .... unfortunately I cant remember the name of the site :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Checked asuki, and it was totally being subbed by the only group who've uploaded anything there at the right time. Yay, instinct!

Which Lupin were you watching? I've seen a bunch of the films and OVAs (though not as many as I would have liked... stupid hard drive) and the green jacket series. I'd love to see more - especially the Rose of Versailles pilot, which I think might have been during red jacket!

Of course, the one I REALLY want to see is white jacket.

- Pips
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Well, from my understanding, fan-subbing began during the late 80s with the C/FO et al. Granted, distribution was made considerably easier with the advent of the internet, which only really became available for many at the dawn of the 21st century. Obviously, I'm aware that many anime of old may have missed the fan-subbing net, but for one of such significance as Akazukin Chacha to have only been picked up in 2005, which is relatively recent, surprised me.

Edit: On that note, I've finished Lupin and intend to revisit Gineiden, likely during my long haul flight.
    I did say internet fan-subbing; few rips of pre-internet fansubs have made it online (that I've come across at least), the majority presumably having been re-released in better quality. So a DVD-quality fansub of something as significant as Akazukin Chacha, while it may have been overdue, would likely have been big enough news for fans at the time to remember the series.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by vin)
    more on wiki, but the best one I read about watching anime back then was a blog entry from a guy who was into all that himself and wrote about how difficult it all was :sadnod: .... unfortunately I cant remember the name of the site :sad:
    I have a vague knowledge of the history of fan-subtiling from a thesis that was readily available online detailing the history and the motivation behind it (elaborating on the sanitisation and/or censorship of anime by licensed corporations). It's probably searchable via Google.

(Original post by Pippin4242)
    Which Lupin were you watching? I've seen a bunch of the films and OVAs (though not as many as I would have liked... stupid hard drive) and the green jacket series. I'd love to see more - especially the Rose of Versailles pilot, which I think might have been during red jacket!

Of course, the one I REALLY want to see is white jacket.

- Pips
    I was referring to the three television series. I tend to couple them together. I would definitely implore that you watch them, along with the remaining OVAs and films that you haven't seen.

ReputationRep:
    One of the main things that's stopped fan-subbed VHS rips making it online is the ridiculous filesize as compared to quality. I've seen old subs of CLAMP School Detectives and Rose of Versailles that I think were ripped from fansub rather than footage from VHS that was then subbed. Actually, the CLAMP School Detectives files might have been a straight rip from a licensed sub release - it did have a limited US run, didn't it?

Aiko, I love Lupin, and I'll definitely give getting the other series a go some day! I've had a lot of difficulty when I've looked in the past for anything other than green jacket, though.

Have you come across white jacket before? That version looks... unusual. :lol:

- Pips

ReputationRep:
    one piece :awesome:

"Captain Buggy:adore:" :rofl:

This arc is proving to be great :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm having finally got around to watching episode 16 of gosick which I've had sitting around for a while, I have finally decided that yes this show is quite dull. The mysteries are never very interesting and neither is the story, and it's just about held together by an adorable lead character, and an interesting partnership between the leads. Just a shame they never have much to do.

Also they replaced the awesome first ending theme with that crappy new one :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    Although it has its moments ZZ Gundam is pretty boring.:erm:

Engrish in C :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truered)
    Hmmm having finally got around to watching episode 16 of gosick which I've had sitting around for a while, I have finally decided that yes this show is quite dull. The mysteries are never very interesting and neither is the story, and it's just about held together by an adorable lead character, and an interesting partnership between the leads. Just a shame they never have much to do.

Also they replaced the awesome first ending theme with that crappy new one :unimpressed:
    Hard as it may be to believe, but in the past few episodes Gosick has properly come into its own - its a bit too little too late to really affect my overall opinion of the show though.

ReputationRep:
    Such manly tears in one piece :bawling: up to ep 472

Spoiler:
    Show
    White beard got stabbed! :s: And by someone who wasnt actually evil or secretly working with the marines. With the other pirates about to be crushed on the sides and then having this dissension on the battlefield This could have lead to a catastrophic defeat, and it being due to that guy being decieved by the admiral would have made it all even more sadder that they could have lost in this way.:cry2: But white beard's still standing and cleared up the confusion.:s: But it doesnt look good right now. Either way the death toll from this battle would be huge ...well for the characters without names anyway. I wonder what this means for the seas after if the numbers for the involved parties are cut in half. How could the marines attempt to police the seas with much fewer people. :lolwut:

...load of ramblings i had following that episode that probably wont make much sense to anyone else:erm:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I notice all three series of Yamato have been given separate listings on Anime-Planet now, a definite improvement over the one entry they used to have for all three. It does push my want to watch list over 100 though, which isn't good for my OCD. :o: So to fix the problem ASAP, I'll be watching a couple of the movies and OVAs I have lying around. I started with Mazinger Z vs Dr. Hell, which I watched with my sisters... THOSE SUBS. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    ^WTF :rofl:

epic interview between the 2 most perverted in Seitokai Yakuindomo, the imouto and teacher :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise I was 2 episodes behind in Sket Dance! I finally managed to catch up today, and I really enjoyed episode 9. It reminded me a lot of the Gintama x Sket Dance crossover, where they emphasise how plain the main characters are. Chibi Bossun is incredibly cute too! (Not sure if it was suppose to be a parody of Detective Conan?) I was surprised they used HNNGGG as well. Very funny episode, and probably the only episode that made me laugh so much, so far.

Also, I've started this new manga called Buyuden. It's pretty good so far, a little cliche maybe. The setting reminds me a bit of History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, and having only seen the anime for said title (which I enjoyed), I think I'll keep reading Buyuden just to see how it will be.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.