Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I started watching Plus with my girlfriend at Christmas, and it made no sense at all. I felt like we'd started in completely the wrong place. ^^;

- Pips

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    SDF Macross 28

Spoiler:
    Show
    The earth's surface is completely destroyed. I would have expected some kind of magical solution saving it. But nope against 4 million ships it would be very very hard to believe.

Wasnt really sure what to expect from this series aside from some old sci fi and some singing.:tongue: But there hasnt really been that much singing in it. The love triangles havnt seemed to get as much screentime as I expected. I did find the culture clash with the humans and zentradi very interesting.:beard: Their society is completely geared for war. So human society would be very ...alien to them.:giggle:

Pacing is not what I expected either. Things seem to happen very fast.:lolwut: I guess I just expect older series to drag on.:redface:

All that said the actual animation is not great.:erm: Ive noticed quite a bit of reused footage in battles.:hmmm: and at times a low amount of frames when the planes are flying.:hmmm:
    Yeah the animation is a pretty mixed bag in SDF Macross - I second the rec of DYRL after you finish the series though, its a very pretty film (even if it does take major liberties with the plot XD).

SDF Macross definitely has much more focus on the culture clash & war between the Zentradi & humans than the romance or singing and the pace is very brisk, boarding on feeling rushed at times, but it knows what its doing - very rewarding watch :yes:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: trying to freak out the zentradi with the song then the kiss

Kaifun is as annoying as ever.:indiff:
    (Original post by caraniel)
    Yeah the animation is a pretty mixed bag in SDF Macross - I second the rec of DYRL after you finish the series though, its a very pretty film (even if it does take major liberties with the plot XD).

SDF Macross definitely has much more focus on the culture clash & war between the Zentradi & humans than the romance or singing and the pace is very brisk, boarding on feeling rushed at times, but it knows what its doing - very rewarding watch :yes:
    At times the constant echo whenever a zentradi spoke was annoying.:indiff: It was already clear early on that they were giants.:erm:

Im certainly gonna look into DYRL :yep:

...max and millia dont seem very responsible parents :indiff: ...putting their baby in a container outside of the vf
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Out of interest, how well would Macross: Do You Remember Love work as a stand alone movie? I ask because it was one of the anime given to me by the former president a couple of months ago, but its the only Macross anime I have to hand (aside from Frontier, which I've already watched).

ReputationRep:
    I watched Do You Remember Love before I started on the original TV series -- at the time, all I'd seen was the first episode of Frontier -- and found it pretty understandable. I remember not really getting one the minor plot points, but other than that it was okay. Possibly because it's spectacle-heavy and plot-light.

It's not a compilation movie in the way that, for example, the movie versions of the first Mobile Suit Gundam are. It's more a wholesale remake of the TV series, focusing on the main events and changing a lot of details.

I suppose the main piece of context that you might want going into it is that humanity's at war with some aliens, and a lot of people (at least a city's worth) have been trapped on a giant spaceship a long way from Earth, and they're trying to get home.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by QHF)
    I watched Do You Remember Love before I started on the original TV series -- at the time, all I'd seen was the first episode of Frontier -- and found it pretty understandable. I remember not really getting one the minor plot points, but other than that it was okay. Possibly because it's spectacle-heavy and plot-light.

It's not a compilation movie in the way that, for example, the movie versions of the first Mobile Suit Gundam are. It's more a wholesale remake of the TV series, focusing on the main events and changing a lot of details.

I suppose the main piece of context that you might want going into it is that humanity's at war with some aliens, and a lot of people (at least a city's worth) have been trapped on a giant spaceship a long way from Earth, and they're trying to get home.
    Thanks for the info.

According to ANN, Strike Witches will be getting a '12' rating when it comes out uncut in the UK. Considering 95% of the fanservice is just pantyshots I can see where they're coming from with that, it isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. Apparently Highschool of the Dead and Dance in the Vampire Bund have yet to be rated though, I'd imagine they're both 15's at least.

Got to love Manga for licensing all this stuff. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    "Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin" manga is going to be animated next.:teeth:
    (Original post by http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/06/22-1/mobile-suit-gundam-the-origin-to-be-animated)
    Leaked pictures from the August issue of Gundam Ace, on sale 6/25, show it will be announcing that Mobile suit Gundam: The Origin will be animated, or more specifically, that the animation project has begun. Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin is a manga adaptation by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko of the original Mobile Suit Gundam anime. According to people who got a copy of the magazine early, Sunrise will be in charge of animation.

via Yaraon!
    Image ©Yoshikazu Yasuhiko / Kadokawa Shoten
    Going right back to the beginning of UC.:w00t: So this is going to be an anime adaptation of a manga adaptation of the original series.:giggle:

ReputationRep:
    I still haven't stalled One Piece, so I think this is really something I'm going to go through with. It's amazing how much anime I've watched recently, considering I don't have a working computer right now. I think I'm starting to get closer to material that's new to me.

- Pips
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I've randomly decided to pick up Gift: Eternal Rainbow; let's see how this'll fare. :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Done with SDF Macross, good series, got kind of sad towards the end :sad: what with the aftermath and all.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yet another thing from ANN:

(Original post by Fractale Helmer Yamamoto Asks for Halt on Manga Version)

Yutaka Yamamoto, the director of the television anime series Fractale, reported on his Twitter account on Thursday that he asked for the anime's manga adaptation to be halted. The manga's artist, Mutsumi Akazaki, had written on her blog on Sunday that she found the work "uninteresting" and added that she wanted to work on a manga that she enjoyed. (The blog entry has since been removed.)

After Yamamoto's post about his request to the producers, he asked the manga artist herself to draw something she believes in herself instead of "riding on people's coattails."

The manga has been running on Square Enix's Gangan Online website since last September. The second compiled book volume is slated to ship next month.

Neither Akazaki nor Square Enix has commented on Yamamoto's request yet, although he posted about his request after midnight in Japan.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    :beard:**** just got real in Steins;Gate (again)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yet more news stolen from ANN:

(Original post by New Saki TV Anime Project Launching)

The wraparound jacket band on the eighth volume of Ritz Kobayashi's Saki manga is announcing this week that a new television anime project is launching. More details will be provided in Square Enix's Young Gangan magazine. Gonzo's 5th studio produced the first 14 episodes of the first Saki television anime in 2009, but Picture Magic took over for the rest of that earlier anime after Gonzo had to restructure.
    Ironic really; barely a day before this announcement, when I was reading through threads on other forums about Saimoe 2011, people were saying that the Saki characters would be huge contenders again when the second series came out... and there I was thinking to myself "it won't happen, not after GONZO's troubles". :o:

ReputationRep:
    :unimpressed:

Saki was at first interesting, and then rapidly became a grind to watch :yes:

Talking of watching, this past week I think I've seen two episodes of Maria holic alive and that's it. Can't recall the last time I watched so little anime.

ReputationRep:
    The guy who created cromartie high school must really love Freddie Mercury
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    *New* episode of Souten Kouro is out! :zomg:

I spent most of today marathoning Kenshin; after a slow start it's finally fallen into familiar territory, with the main characters pairing off against various mini-boss types, leading up to what will hopefully be an epic finish... followed by a load of filler from what I've heard. :yucky: Regardless, the Kyoto arc is making for an awesome One Piece substitute. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I just finished watching Neon Genesis Evangelion and...
    ...The only words that come to mind are WHAT THE **** WAS THAT??
    *SPOILER*
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The world ends! Just like that! Big red flash, then Shinji and Asuka are lying on a beach, then Shinji sees Rei, the she vanishes, Shinji tries (and fails) to kill Asuka, he starts crying, then she says "How disgusting." AND THAT'S IT!!!
    I
    NEED
    AN
    EXPLANATION!!!!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by GakupoKandaFan)
    *SPOILER*
    Could you edit actual spoiler tags onto your post please? (use [spoiler] your text here [/spoiler]). Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    *New* episode of Souten Kouro is out! :zomg:
    Just noticed ep 13 and 14 out on a certain site.:zomg:

I camer straight here after seeing that and my reaction was "WHAT THE **** ING ****!!!:eek::eek2::eek3::eek4:"

The director was high on prescription drugs.:sadnod:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Spoiler:
    Show
    *SPOILER*
    The world ends! Just like that! Big red flash, then Shinji and Asuka are lying on a beach, then Shinji sees Rei, the she vanishes, Shinji tries (and fails) to kill Asuka, he starts crying, then she says "How disgusting." AND THAT'S IT!!!
    I
    NEED
    AN
    EXPLANATION!!!!
    Spoiler your post like above.

And to explain:

Instrumentality
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Rei was turning back into Lilith from EVa 02's skin and Rei's mind and since it was Shinji's mother, and Rei's affection - they asked what Shinji wished for. Shinji being the psychological mess he is, thought it would be easier to live life without the need for more strife and failings and blame and hardship and the idea of instrumentality (fusing all minds into 1 collective being) would mean ending all of these things and simply being honest and free with everyone. So Shinji succumbed to this idea and this is when Eva 02 gets crucified and Rei (Lilith) starts expanding and becoming God like, it then liquefies everyone into the primordial soup again by completely neutralising everyone's AT field meaning they have no ability to hold their own bodies or selves together (As this is what an AT field does - apparently!) and so the world is all red and liquid-y and thats when the instrumentality occurs by having everyone becoming one as a primordial soup in Liliths hands. However Shinji then starts recollecting all the people he has met, how he has expanded and what his journey as an Eva pilot has given to him - he understands life is about taking not only the good but also the bad and one cannot exist without the other - he sees his want of instrumentality as being selfish and cowardly and so he fights against it and this is where he stops the instrumentality and Lilith breaks down as he no longer wished for such a thing.

Asuka
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Then Asuka appears again and he strangles her to feel that he is alive and so is she, that this is real and not some dream and to verify that he is back to his life of happiness but also pain - in a messed up kind of way, he is trying to feel and connect to another person by strangling Asuka

Sea of Red
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Everything else is all red and stuff because everyone has had their AT Field broken and so they are simply floating around as primordial soup and only those with enough will power to find themselves can recollect themselves and reform their bodies - so everyone is there its just that time and will power was needed to re-form their persons.

EDIT: Last Line:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This last line is debated. The original Japanese is "Kimochi Warui" which loosely translates as "how disgusting" as it is a term of disgust. Basically, Asuka throughout the whole series always complains about sharing missions, baths, toilets and even washing machines as she sees the idea of sharing and dependence as a weak trait and she thinks independence is what is right. She sees Shinji's weak moment of giving into instrumentalisation as disgusting as she doesn't wish to share her thoughts with others nor know the thoughts of others in a way. Shinji constantly desires affection and acceptance in Evangelion whereas Asuka (though insecure) constantly wants independence and strength for herself. So she manages to collect her being again from the collective primordial soup and is disgusted at Shinji's weakness and when she comes back realising so has he, she is disgusted she is not the only one who has come back but also Shinji has made it back - he denies her solidarity. She wanted to be alone but Shinji brought her back to the sea of people and to himself - who she doesn't like. I would take it as Satre said: Hell is other people!

To be honest, not the easiest thing to figure out and certainly the huge amount of graphics and scenes means one pays less attention to the detail of the psychological and philosophical issues raised in the series. Granted - the writer was someone who was depressed and anxious and said he modelled Shinji's psychological issues after his own. Its a mega compelx series tbh which I think delves into more philosophy than the common anime watcher will have knowledge of or notice at first glance I personally thought it was an amazing anime and a superb piece of philosophy/psychology.Hope this makes sense though :yes:

I would recommend Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22 by the way, much better than the original - graphics and story have a touch up and overall it still keeps its messed up NGE feel

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.