Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society 5: Tentacles For All! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just got the "...Huh?!" badge:proud:
    "You've watched notorious mind-bending anime and emerged with your sanity intact."

Now if only it told me which series it was referring to other than lain since it appeared after marking that watched.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by vin)
    I just got the "...Huh?!" badge:proud:
    "You've watched notorious mind-bending anime and emerged with your sanity intact."

Now if only it told me which series it was referring to other than lain since it appeared after marking that watched.
    According to a post I found on their forums, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Paranoia Agent, Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, Mind Game and FLCL will get you the badge. Not sure how many of those you need though, or whether any other series also count. :dontknow:

I found out that Ghost Sweeper Mikami isn't fully subbed, so that's another show on my list that I can't get. :rant: So I'm downloading Tatami Galaxy instead. Feels weird to have found a torrent that actually has seeds. :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    According to a post I found on their forums, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Paranoia Agent, Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, Mind Game and FLCL will get you the badge. Not sure how many of those you need though, or whether any other series also count. :dontknow:

I found out that Ghost Sweeper Mikami isn't fully subbed, so that's another show on my list that I can't get. :rant: So I'm downloading Tatami Galaxy instead. Feels weird to have found a torrent that actually has seeds. :zomg:
    I saw that but it didnt seem to have been confirmed.:hmmmm: and Ive not watched mind game yet.

ReputationRep:
    I've decided that dependant upon price, and all volumes being in stock, when we have our own internet back I'm going to collect the Kimi ni todoke and Tegami bachi manga. I have two volumes of the first, and only one of Tegami.

I can't remember the last time I watched any anime :nyoron:

ReputationRep:
    Other exciting news for HxH fans, a new anime will be airing starting October 2nd from MADHOUSE.

HUNTER X HUNTER + ANIME + OCTOBER = EPIC!!!!!!!!!

:excited:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Keoje)
    Other exciting news for HxH fans, a new anime will be airing starting October 2nd from MADHOUSE.

HUNTER X HUNTER + ANIME + OCTOBER = EPIC!!!!!!!!!

:excited:
    OLD. :yawn: :p:

Currently marathoning Maria-sama ga Miteru - it probably goes without saying by this point that a review will follow. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    OLD. :yawn: :p:

Currently marathoning Maria-sama ga Miteru - it probably goes without saying by this point that a review will follow. :giggle:

I'm so out of date with the news and new anime. I decided the other day to try out Ao no Exorcist streaming. Seemed pretty good but I tried my best to understand what was going on...so many new characters at once...no introductions...then halfway I realised :indiff:

Episode 16 :emo:

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keoje)

I'm so out of date with the news and new anime. I decided the other day to try out Ao no Exorcist streaming. Seemed pretty good but I tried my best to understand what was going on...so many new characters at once...no introductions...then halfway I realised :indiff:

Episode 16 :emo:

:getmecoat:
    I was thinking of posting what AJ said but in a much less polite manner :mmm: but decided against it :console:

ReputationRep:
    I'm nearing the end of Zambot 3, and it's so grim that it's hard to really engage with it.

Spoiler:
    Show
    The latest run of episodes was an arc about people being turned into unwitting living bombs. In the episode I just watched the hero rescued his crush, who then detonated in his bedroom. The final scene is the good guys detaching the whole room block from their ship and dumping it in the sea, presumably because it was too damaged and gory to bother cleaning it up.

Normally grimmer stories go hand-in-hand with an older audience, but Zambot 3 seems to be a straight-down-the-line kids' super robot show except for all the destruction, deaths, refugee movements &c. Even Tomino's other downbeat shows seem by comparison to be aimed at older children and young teenagers. It's very odd.

Still, if anyone's interested in a pretty old, pretty cheaply-done oddity... this is one.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    The next series I'll be watching will be Lupin III, which will be the oldest TV anime I've watched so far (though I do have Jungle Taitei downloaded for future viewing). :yes:

Download-wise, I'm now getting hold of Magic Knight Rayearth. Since my friend was nice enough to get me all those CLAMP posters for my birthday, I may as well watch some of the anime featuring those characters. Well, I've actually seen the OVA already, but it wasn't fantastic. :p:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thought I'd let people know that if it's been a while since you've updated your media player/codec packs, now is apparently a good time to do so because the main pack recommended by sub groups (CCCP) recently upgraded to play 10-bit encodes. Doesn't mean much to me, but apparently files that are encoded this way maintain high video quality while allowing for smaller file sizes (but won't play well if you haven't updated your codecs). Seems a few sub groups are already releasing videos in this format, with more expected to take it up soon, so it could be worth looking into if you download a lot of newer anime. :yes:

As well as CCCP, K-Lite (my personal fave) also supports it. VLC doesn't yet, so MPlayer2 is supposedly the best option for people with Mac/Linux.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Thought I'd let people know that if it's been a while since you've updated your media player/codec packs, now is apparently a good time to do so because the main pack recommended by sub groups (CCCP) recently upgraded to play 10-bit encodes. Doesn't mean much to me, but apparently files that are encoded this way maintain high video quality while allowing for smaller file sizes (but won't play well if you haven't updated your codecs). Seems a few sub groups are already releasing videos in this format, with more expected to take it up soon, so it could be worth looking into if you download a lot of newer anime. :yes:

As well as CCCP, K-Lite (my personal fave) also supports it. VLC doesn't yet, so MPlayer2 is supposedly the best option for people with Mac/Linux.
    Interesting, I wonder whether this trend to adopt 10-bit h264 will apply to non-subtitled sources too. In any case, I randomly found a subtitled anime episode close to an hour in length at an impressive 490mb in size. I didn't have any trouble playing the video simultaneously with VLC and Quicktime/Perian on Mac:

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Interesting, I wonder whether this trend to adopt 10-bit h264 will apply to non-subtitled sources too. In any case, I randomly found a subtitled anime episode close to an hour in length at an impressive 490mb in size. I didn't have any trouble playing the video simultaneously with VLC and Quicktime/Perian on Mac:
    The best comparison (at least in terms of filesize) I've found is Coalgirls' release of Bakemonogatari in 1080p - each file is about 1.20 GB in their first 8-bit release, compared with 600 MB in their 10-bit version which supposedly looks just as good. I'm definitely in favour of anything that lets me fit twice as much anime on my hard drive without compromising quality. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Smaller files at the same quality is good for people with limited bandwidth too.

I've grabbed the new CCCP and tried watching a couple of 10-bit files so far. One was fine, the other played with some messy distortions which weren't present in the same group's 8-bit release of the same episode. That might well be because I don't have the right codec, or something, though.

I only mess around amateurishly with players and codecs until everything works about once every two years, which isn't frequent enough to retain any useful knowledge for next time!

ReputationRep:
    CCCP related

Not Found

The requested URL /download.php was not found on this server.

:sad:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Keoje)
    CCCP related

Not Found

The requested URL /download.php was not found on this server.

:sad:
    Download link for CCCP.

ReputationRep:
    Are the subs for gg's Penguin drum ep 6 ment to be slightly blurry
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by vin)
    Are the subs for gg's Penguin drum ep 6 ment to be slightly blurry
    Meh, I could live with blurry subs if it meant I could watch episodes a week before they actually air. :p: (Sorry, I have nothing constructive to add. :o:)

Currently downloading Strange Dawn, which I was drawn to by the odd character designs and the fact that so few people seem to have watched it (on A-P at least) - just over 100 viewed for a series that's easily available fansubbed, was US licensed, and even aired on UK's Channel 5 in the early 2000s. :hmmmm2:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    The best comparison (at least in terms of filesize) I've found is Coalgirls' release of Bakemonogatari in 1080p - each file is about 1.20 GB in their first 8-bit release, compared with 600 MB in their 10-bit version which supposedly looks just as good. I'm definitely in favour of anything that lets me fit twice as much anime on my hard drive without compromising quality. :p:
    Ah yes, you're a hoarder. :tongue:

Anime wise, I've just been keeping up with my weeklies, more or less... I have oddly picked up Kampfer as well (don't ask), which is proving mildly enjoyable; certainly more than I expected, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Been trying a lot of manga titles lately and came across one called 'Suicide Island'. Very interesting read so far if you're into psychological genre with a survival theme

Sypnosis: Treating non-successful suicidal patients requires a lot of money and resources. With low budget and a personal respect argumentation, a doctor will ask a non-successful suicidal patient if he/she still wants to live on or not. If not the government will respect his/her wish. However, the government doesn't just simply kill them.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.