• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    My thoughts on all the logo suggestions so far:

Spoiler:
    Show

Not the most fun of images IMO, no offence. :s:

Well I did say all the pictures... but no, we're an anime society. :p:

Not instantly recognizable as anime-related to someone unfamiliar with the series; a good logo should scream 'anime' to even the most casual fans.

Kamina is a good idea, but I'd agree this pic isn't ideal. More of a closeup might be better.

See my comments on Hard Gay. :giggle:

Sakura is another good idea, but particular image is a little pixelated.

Again, not instantly recognizable as anime perhaps?

I have no complaints about Desu. :p:

That one just strikes me as odd. :s:

I'm still a Haruhi fan, and that is a good pic. :yes:

:hmmmm2:

Slightly obscure maybe, but I've no major objections to Hanyuu. :nah:

However, I'm counting 5 in favour of Konata (not counting myself) and no open objections yet, so should I just go with her? If not, I'd be happy to make a poll including Konata and the Haruhi, Desu and Hanyuu pics above.

ReputationRep:
    Is it too late for suggestions for the new avatar? I want Gin-san :huff:

(Havent' been able to find anything better as of yet)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    The next episode is the finale, so we can only assume, with the expectation of a third season, that JC Staff aren't intending to provide any closure here (seeing as Touma was dining out with his classmates at the end). Conversely, we've been given a small glimpse into the upcoming arc. I'm not sure whether this is the best approach to take, though, in account of how long it'll be until we eventually see Touma and co again. Episode 24 will probably end on some cliffhanger to entice the viewership. Let's just hope the animation improves at least.
    Yeah, it seems like quite a bad idea to introduce this arc so late, with the possibility of it not finishing this year. I doubt they'll lose many people watching it, as the previous arc was pretty damn awesome, but putting in such an anti-climax is a bit... well... anti-climactic.

Also re: an avatar for the society: I think it should be something that was pretty popular when it was dubbed, so that even those who haven't seen many of the more niche anime could see who we are. I remember Card Captor Sakura, One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Digimon etc. were pretty popular a while back. Although Pokemon and Digimon probably have their own societies (At least I imagine the former to), so are probably a bad choice.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like the idea of Desu since we have the :desu: emoticon on the site, is easily recognised and would make a pretty good mascot character. Haruhi would be my other choice, but she's seems to be falling out of favour due to E8 unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish;30557263[IMG)
    http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9049/dohohoho.jpg[/IMG]

Not instantly recognizable as anime-related to someone unfamiliar with the series; a good logo should scream 'anime' to even the most casual fans.
    that was a reaction image rather than a suggestion.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by LastLordofTime)
    Yeah, it seems like quite a bad idea to introduce this arc so late, with the possibility of it not finishing this year. I doubt they'll lose many people watching it, as the previous arc was pretty damn awesome, but putting in such an anti-climax is a bit... well... anti-climactic.
    Yeah, agreed. I guess we'll just have to see how they wrap the season up this week.

Also re: an avatar for the society: I think it should be something that was pretty popular when it was dubbed, so that even those who haven't seen many of the more niche anime could see who we are. I remember Card Captor Sakura, One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Digimon etc. were pretty popular a while back. Although Pokemon and Digimon probably have their own societies (At least I imagine the former to), so are probably a bad choice.
    Amongst those suggested, CCS would definitely be my choice. One Piece aside, I'd feel perturbed if any of the others were used.

(Original post by caraniel)
    I quite like the idea of Desu since we have the :desu: emoticon on the site, is easily recognised and would make a pretty good mascot character. Haruhi would be my other choice, but she's seems to be falling out of favour due to E8 unfortunately
    I'm all for Suiseiseki or Haruhi (more so the latter), but Konata remains my favourite amongst those suggested.

(Original post by November 11)
    that was a reaction image rather than a suggestion.
    Would be rather amusing to have nonetheless. :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Yeah, agreed. I guess we'll just have to see how they wrap the season up this week.

Amongst those suggested, CCS would definitely be my choice. One Piece aside, I'd feel perturbed if any of the others were used.

I'm all for Suiseiseki or Haruhi (more so the latter), but Konata remains my favourite amongst those suggested.

Would be rather amusing to have nonetheless. :tongue:
    :bawling:how dare you :indiff: yogurt-kun is the best :huff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    My thoughts on all the logo suggestions so far:

Spoiler:
    Show

Not the most fun of images IMO, no offence. :s:

Well I did say all the pictures... but no, we're an anime society. :p:

Kamina is a good idea, but I'd agree this pic isn't ideal. More of a closeup might be better.

See my comments on Hard Gay. :giggle:

Sakura is another good idea, but particular image is a little pixelated.

Again, not instantly recognizable as anime perhaps?

I have no complaints about Desu. :p:

That one just strikes me as odd. :s:

I'm still a Haruhi fan, and that is a good pic. :yes:

:hmmmm2:

Slightly obscure maybe, but I've no major objections to Hanyuu. :nah:

However, I'm counting 5 in favour of Konata (not counting myself) and no open objections yet, so should I just go with her? If not, I'd be happy to make a poll including Konata and the Haruhi, Desu and Hanyuu pics above.
    My kamina pic is a closeup

But saying that my vote goes for the haruhi pic.

ReputationRep:
    From Haruhi vs. Suiseiseki vs Konata, I'd probably go for Suiseiseki
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    This is turning into a shambles, but people seem to have narrowed it down to three sensible ones, so I've chucked them in a poll. I don't want to be seen as completely dismissing other people's ideas, but if people keep posting additional pictures or saying "I like these three" then we're not going to get anywhere. If there are any major complaints then bring them up in the thread. (ignore the earlier thread by the same name, I screwed up the poll)

ReputationRep:
    :blah: *poll mistake*
    I thought we were gonna have more time to suggest things Ive been too busy to do another search :bawling:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by vin)
    I thought we were gonna have more time to suggest things Ive been too busy to do another search :bawling:
    I was getting worried that we'd have to sift through 10-20 potential images at the rate it was going, and while I didn't leave it very long I'll admit, nobody raised any complaints about what was already suggested. :s: Feel free to post more ideas in the thread though, I'll allow people to change their votes if you can come up with something amazing. I just wanted to put a stop to the slightly chaotic approach we had here.

ReputationRep:
    I voted for Haruhi: firstly, I think it's more recognisable; secondly, it's probably the most 'adult' looking out of the three; thirdly, I don't know the other two

Watched XXXHolic Shunmuki yesterday and, after not understanding a lot of it, I decided to read the manga from the beginning (though I accidentally spoiled some pretty major stuff trying to read where to start from ).

Also, I'm going to rewatch Ouran as it was one of the first anime I watched and it's still in my 5/5 pile. May watch NHK! again after that. I haven't found any newer anime I'm actually interested in atm... At least until the new Berserk anime this year

ReputationRep:
    I was getting worried that we'd have to sift through 10-20 potential images at the rate it was going, and while I didn't leave it very long I'll admit, nobody raised any complaints about what was already suggested. :s: Feel free to post more ideas in the thread though, I'll allow people to change their votes if you can come up with something amazing. I just wanted to put a stop to the slightly chaotic approach we had here.
    I wanted to find another kamina one ...but I guess if i couldnt find one already then I probably wouldnt be able to again

in anycase it had only been up for two or so days:hmmm: ....but yes this could drag on ........so in conclusion ....continue as you were :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChunkymunkyDJC)
    Just watched it now, and yeah I thought it was actually really good. Also, it's true that Haruhi isn't in it much - probably about 40 mins of a 2.4h movie. Overall, if you liked the original series, then there's no doubt you'll like the movie.
    I might actually watch it then, it's just the length, I wouldn't have expected itt o be so long at all... But ah okay. I heard it's got a lot of Yuki in it, which is cool, cuz she's like my favourite =D
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by vin)
    :bawling:how dare you :indiff: yogurt-kun is the best :huff:
    Technically, I was referring to those suggested in each quote (especially the thought that Pokemon, Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh! could potentially adorn our society didn't sit well with me).
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Technically, I was referring to those suggested in each quote (especially the thought that Pokemon, Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh! could potentially adorn our society didn't sit well with me).
    Yeah, having a logo from a series marketed at children wouldn't do us any favours in convincing people that anime can appeal to adults too.

I just watched episode 10 (and 11, technically) of Hourou Musuko. I thought they were quite well done; aside from the fact that there was an obvious quickening in the pace, it didn't feel like they'd skipped anything major. Still, I look forward to the DVD release and the full versions of both eps. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I still think Spiderman is a good idea.

anyway, I'll just leave this here:

ReputationRep:
    Beelzebub :thumbsup:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Although they should put some clothes on Baby Beel, or at least some diapers. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/...saster-sotinel

article by the guardian on disasters in anime and manga :beard:

EDIT: is this what passes for a review from what Id thought would be a proper reviwing person critic thingy:indiff:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/...=ILCNETTXT3487
    Origin: Spirits of the Past is a disappointing Japanese animated film, set in a post-apocalyptic future where people survive amid the ruins of a once magnificent metropolis and are threatened by a malevolent fascistic army and a hostile, cannibalistic forest. One day, a lad discovers a beautiful teenage girl, cryogenically preserved for the past 300 years in a plastic capsule (shades of Sleeping Beauty). Through her, he investigates the past from a knowledge of which they might have a better future. Maybe it should have been called 'Look Back in Manga'.
    all we really learn aside from a synopsis is that he thought it was dissapointing :s:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.