The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1920
Autumn Anime Preview is finally done - thanks to Keo for coding it all for me! :jumphug:

Reply 1921
Original post by caraniel
Autumn Anime Preview is finally done - thanks to Keo for coding it all for me! :jumphug:

Thanks Cara, always amusing to read your thoughts on the upcoming season. :tongue:
Reply 1922

thanks for doing it once again:hugs:

I thought the title said squeal tastic as in painful:mmm:
Reply 1923
Original post by Aiko
Thanks Cara, always amusing to read your thoughts on the upcoming season. :tongue:

Original post by vin
thanks for doing it once again:hugs:

I thought the title said squeal tastic as in painful:mmm:

I wasn't going to do it, but it felt wrong so did it anyway.......really suffering now though, so probably won't reply to much - going to take it very easy this weekend.
Reply 1924
Finally got around to watching Madoka yesterday.

Sums up the series for me. I'd heard it wasn't the typical magical girls show and that it was quite dark. But still... fuark.
Reply 1925
Why was the hovis bread theme in penguin drum 10 :lolwut:
Reply 1926
Original post by vin
Why was the hovis bread theme in penguin drum 10 :lolwut:

:five: My personal theory is Hovis is behind everything :yes:

(After that episode I spent 20 minutes in futile looking for the Two Ronnie's Hovis parody :unimpressed: )

Now up to episode 80 of One piece :yes:

Nami's costume change in episode 76/8ish :teeth:
Finished Kamisama no Memo-chou; to be fair the final arc was a step up from the others, but only barely. Overall, I think the lack of character development was it's major flaw - I really didn't care about any of them enough for the average-at-best plot lines to interest me, and the (obviously high) animation budget alone wasn't enough to carry it. Still, the relatively high A-P rating (average 4 stars and ranked 434th, based on over 1,000 ratings) suggest that a lot of people quite liked it. :dontknow:
Reply 1928
Original post by Tabris
Finally got around to watching Madoka yesterday.

Sums up the series for me. I'd heard it wasn't the typical magical girls show and that it was quite dark. But still... fuark.

I'm sold. Watching this :teeth:
Reply 1929
I wasn't going to do it, but it felt wrong so did it anyway.......really suffering now though, so probably won't reply to much - going to take it very easy this weekend.

I can only sympathise and hope your condition improves. I seem to remember that you were experimenting with speak and type software, or at least, were contemplating it. From what I've read, they're quite accurate nowadays. Any update on that?
Original post by Keoje
I'm sold. Watching this :teeth:

Shame it took a spoiler for one of the most shocking parts of the series to convince you. :p: Needless to say though, the rest of the series is good too. :yes:
Reply 1931
Original post by Aiko
I can only sympathise and hope your condition improves. I seem to remember that you were experimenting with speak and type software, or at least, were contemplating it. From what I've read, they're quite accurate nowadays. Any update on that?

Can speak and type software accurately transcribe squeeing?

:awesome:

Btw has there been any news on how many episodes this new Hunter x Hunter anime will be? (directed at the soc in general, not just Aiko :ahee: )
Reply 1932
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Shame it took a spoiler for one of the most shocking parts of the series to convince you. :p: Needless to say though, the rest of the series is good too. :yes:
I was put of a certain series because of it's genre but once I found out someone dies in it... I was watching it the next day :ahee:

No clues to what it is :tongue: Really did enjoy the show tho :biggrin:
Original post by Truered
Btw has there been any news on how many episodes this new Hunter x Hunter anime will be? (directed at the soc in general, not just Aiko :ahee: )

Not as far as I'm aware, ANN and Wiki have nothing other than the title for the first episode or 'TBC' listed under their episode counts.
Reply 1934
Also, Fate/Zero next week.

MY BODY WILL NEVER BE READY

Also, since I've got nothing to do for the rest of the year, I just burned a load of money buying this:

http://www.goodsmile.info/product/en/2304/Saber+Lily+Distant+Avalon.html
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1935
Now that I've gotten around to finishing a few from the summer season, I figured I'd briefly address my thoughts here.

I'll begin with Usagi Drop, which is probably my favourite from the season. I liked its sense of realism, a rarity in anime, that was depicted with such endearment that I couldn't help but smile during each episode. The animation was simple but attractive and very in keeping with the mood and slow pace. Rin's facial expressions, in particular, were highly appropriate and helped to establish the subtle humour that was present and welcomed. Lastly, unlike the majority of anime adaptations, I felt the closure was satisfactory here (I'm also glad that they didn't include the time skip). I suppose, from a personal angle, as someone who is hoping to become a mother in the next few years, the conversation the parents had during the penultimate episode about wanting to spend their free time with their children resonated with me, as it's precisely how I'd imagine I would see it (although it's unlikely I'd be working a "9 until 5" like them). All in all, in spite of its lack of drama, Usagi Drop offered something that was touching and relatable to its audience.

In a similar vein to Usagi Drop, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee excelled for exactly the same reasons, the realism and, quite unexpectedly, its effectiveness in portraying happenings that are seemingly uneventful but highly effective. The relationship that Yune established with her fellow Parisians, Claude especially, was believable and enjoyable to watch. I also liked how they drew comparisons with French and Japanese culture, everything from customary norms to cuisine, which was something I could relate with, having moved from Japan to England. Moreover, the glimpse of how social class can divide people (namely Claude and Camille) was interesting and somewhat saddening in their case. Despite the short running length, there was plenty of character development too such as Claude's relationship with his diseased father. So, while I preferred Usagi Drop slightly more (if only because I have a soft spot for children), Ikoku Meiro no Croisee definitely shared the same qualities.

Ro-Kyu-Bu! had its moments. I wasn't expecting much from this series and actually considered it something of a 'guilty pleasure' but was pleasantly surprised by episode 2's focus on basketball, capturing everything I tend to like from the sport genre. While the anime was unable to maintain this focus throughout, deviating somewhat during the midsection, it picked up in the latter half where it mattered, and we received some decent character development in the process from a select few characters. Not a lot happened in terms of plot progression, but I was content with what the series offered. The animation was crisp and the cute character design didn't put me off at all. So, not amazing but certainly not bad either.
I finished Nichijou today, which definitely makes my 5 star list. :rofl: 2 x 2 = Shinobuden's position on said list was looking increasingly tenuous with every new series I added, so I'm glad I was able to replace it with another comedy series which made me laugh enough to deserve it (and which *technically* still featured the vocal talents of Norio Wakamoto). :giggle:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1937
Ao no Exorcist 22 everyone has guns now :drool:
Reply 1938
people in blood-c are weird... ep 8

Spoiler

:rofl: The beams of light return ...making what should be a scary/creepy scene just seem silly.:mmm:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by vin
people in blood-c are weird... ep 8

Spoiler

:rofl: The beams of light return ...making what should be a scary/creepy scene just seem silly.:mmm:

As I said on Facebook, I'm convinced the 'C' stands for CENSORED. :giggle:

My internet is finally behaving, so I have the final ep of UtaPri, and will hopefully have Hanasaku Iroha soon as well. :biggrin: