The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Truered
:ta:

:lolwut: So that was Kamisama dolls ending? It felt more like an episode 11 then a finale.

"To be next story"? :doh:

Doesn't sound promising, I'm downloading that right now. :p: I've quite liked the recent eps, if only because of all the action, but figured there was no way they'd bring everything to a full close in one episode.
Reply 1961
While I partially agree that the last episode of Kami-sama Dolls didn't feel like an ending as such, serving more as a build up for a potential sequel (which I'm hoping for), I'm pleased that Kyouhei and Hibino openly confessed their feelings (unlike the majority of romances in anime) and that Kyouhei's and Aki's reminiscing helped to finalise the backstory concerning them. Both provided satisfactory closure, in my opinion.

Overall, Kami-sama Dolls was one of the few I was looking forward to before the summer season, largely based on the PV but also because of Brain’s Base and Seiji, and it hasn't disappointed. An interesting and engaging plot line, coupled with likeable characters, that blended both action and comedy seamlessly. A solid 4/5 and definitely something I'll consider re-watching again at some point. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by caraniel

Original post by caraniel
Autumn Anime Preview is finally done - thanks to Keo for coding it all for me! :jumphug:

Good read. The majority of those I probably agree with you and will not be checking out. However I was very, very pleasantly surprised to learn about Persona 4: The Animation, 'twas my favourite persona 4 and it really does ooze style, great voice acting, very funny at parts and does have great character development but, as you said, it is very difficult to translate that from the game into an anime. Especially since the game is not just a JRPG but has proper sim x life aspects which further make the game awesome which obviously won't happen in the anime. Nonetheless, I am definitely looking forward to that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just seen the new Ao no Exorcist. I have to say, I'm really taking a liking to the show, at first I really didn't think I would however it has definitely grown on me (as my avatar would make obvious :tongue: ) I am tempted to read the manga however I don't know whether I would like the art or whether Ao is something which I would much rather watch than read. I think if I get time I'll read it, however I am content with the anime, despite the fillers - though they have been anything but boring so I can't complain. Loving the action :dumbells:

I have also just finished Welcome to the NHK. That was... interesting... It started out very slow and with quite a bit of comedy and certainly his hysteria and hallucinatory tendencies were interesting and so I thought this would be a provocative look into the psyche of these Hikikomori with the odd humour and ecchi scenes. However after the first half it started to descend into a weird love/ not love story with not too much happening and then this mystery emerged with the girl. I thought, hey this could be interesting, but then even this turned out to be a dead end and a clichéd 'she tries to save him, he ends up saving her' story with such a blunt ending that I felt disappointed and like I had wasted a lot of time. It lost its psychological aspects, its love story was poor and the humour eventually died down, and so it lost most of its appeal. So overall I'm not sure what to make of it, it had potential but I think the directing went awry and the story fell into a generic plot with pointless sub-stories. Give it a 2.5/5 for me.
(edited 12 years ago)
I finished Kamisama Dolls, which wasn't bad, but does need a sequel quite badly after leaving things the way it did. :p: Overall, it was enjoyable, but far from the best thing this season.

The ending for Kaiji S2, on the other hand, was perfect, but I've gone into enough detail about that already in my blog. :yes: It feels weird now that it's finished, and I find it highly unlikely now that I won't follow a new series on there this season, though exactly what I'll end up blogging remains to be seen. I didn't know I'd end up writing about Shukufuku no Campanella or Kaiji until I'd watched their first episodes, after which I just felt spontaneously compelled to do so. :o:
Reply 1964
time to pick up kaiji :teeth:
Reply 1965
Currently watching through Ika Musume.

It's hilarious.
Original post by vin
time to pick up kaiji :teeth:

That time was 6 months ago. :hmmm:

I figured I'd try and marathon season 1 of Ika Musume today; my internet isn't good enough to get hold of Shakugan no Shana S or Tamayura yet, but I want to start preparing for the new season somehow. :o:
Reply 1967
Original post by Facticity
Just seen the new Ao no Exorcist. I have to say, I'm really taking a liking to the show, at first I really didn't think I would however it has definitely grown on me (as my avatar would make obvious :tongue: ) I am tempted to read the manga however I don't know whether I would like the art or whether Ao is something which I would much rather watch than read. I think if I get time I'll read it, however I am content with the anime, despite the fillers - though they have been anything but boring so I can't complain. Loving the action :dumbells:

Agreed, it's been a fun shounen series to watch (and something I've needed after staling Naruto and One Piece for a bit). It's not particularly original nor has it attempted to push the envelope, but the plot has remained engaging and the production has been pretty good.

As we're now reaching the end of this anime adaptation, deviating away from the manga with an original ending, I've been impressed with Yamaguchi's approach. Here's to hoping that the final episode will deliver.

I have also just finished Welcome to the NHK. That was... interesting... It started out very slow and with quite a bit of comedy and certainly his hysteria and hallucinatory tendencies were interesting and so I thought this would be a provocative look into the psyche of these Hikikomori with the odd humour and ecchi scenes. However after the first half it started to descend into a weird love/ not love story with not too much happening and then this mystery emerged with the girl. I thought, hey this could be interesting, but then even this turned out to be a dead end and a clichéd 'she tries to save him, he ends up saving her' story with such a blunt ending that I felt disappointed and like I had wasted a lot of time. It lost its psychological aspects, its love story was poor and the humour eventually died down, and so it lost most of its appeal. So overall I'm not sure what to make of it, it had potential but I think the directing went awry and the story fell into a generic plot with pointless sub-stories. Give it a 2.5/5 for me.

Interesting, the feedback I've received for this series has been solely positive. I've been meaning to watch this for some time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1968
Original post by AngryJellyfish
That time was 6 months ago. :hmmm:

I wouldnt have been able to watch it all in 2 days 6 months ago.:huff:
Reply 1969
As some of you may know, I'm off to my first anime convention next month in New York with my friend Kiki and I've received a schedule by email as to what I'm intending to see. Unfortunately, given that the convention spans from Thursday to Sunday, I might have to miss Takeuchi's talk on Friday (seiyuu most known for voicing Naruto), which is a bit of a shame. It's during the afternoon for about an hour, so I might be able to take an extended "lunch"...

Fortunately, the next talk that I definitely want to attend is with Mashima (mangaka of Fairy Tail) which is in the evening after work on the same day. As a VIP ticket holder, I'm apparently entitled to meet him and to get something of my choice signed. Maybe I'll make a quick trip to Kinokuniya to buy a volume. :tongue:

On the same day, there will be a screening of Madoka, followed by a chance to meet Natsume. Unfortunately, he won't be giving a talk (probably because he's unable to in English), but it'll be nice to see him in the flesh regardless.

On Saturday, I'll have the chance to meet the man himself, Shinkai, which is easily my most anticipated talk. I'll probably go to the Masataka talk, not something I'm that fussed about but will be interesting nonetheless. :tongue:

And that pretty much sums up what I'm intending to do at this convention. I doubt I'll buy anything, but Kiki is keen to enter some sort of anime quiz/competition that's going to be held there, so I'll do the same. :tongue:

If I enjoy this convention, I'll consider going to Comiket in Tokyo during the Christmas period in December, something I've chosen, even when I lived there, not to.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1970
Original post by vin
I wouldnt have been able to watch it all in 2 days 6 months ago.:huff:

I'm sort of indifferent when it comes to Kaiji. I have no desire to watch the second season. Maybe in a few years...
Original post by Aiko
I'm sort of indifferent when it comes to Kaiji. I have no desire to watch the second season. Maybe in a few years...

I'm now 7 episodes into Ika Musume... no doubt I'll be starting the second season tonight. :p:
Reply 1972

I'm now 7 episodes into Ika Musume... no doubt I'll be starting the second season tonight. :p:

:teeth:

Kaiji is too moe for her.:sadnod:

Original post by Aiko
Agreed, it's been a fun shounen series to watch (and something I've needed after staling Naruto and One Piece for a bit). It's not particularly original nor has it attempted to push the envelope, but the plot has remained engaging and the production has been pretty good.

As we're now reaching the end of this anime adaptation, deviating away from the manga with an original ending, I've been impressed with Yamaguchi's approach. Here's to hoping that the final episode will deliver.

True, it hasn't been very original and has been rife with clichés however the consistently engaging character action and direction has made it pretty entertaining. I cannot see it being announced soon however I would definitely like for a second season to be made - I guess the manga would have to fill out more before that happens.

Interesting, the feedback I've received for this series has been solely positive. I've been meaning to watch this for some time.

See thats the thing, I had also heard and seen nothing but praise for it and so as someone who enjoys anime which is odd/ breaks the mould, I jumped at it. It started off, as I said, very funny and very interesting however the things that made it unique i.e. the comedy, the psychology, the themes of social acceptance etc started to fade out about half way. It then fades into a very odd kind of love/not-love story (which to be fair is obvious will happen however I thought they'd handle it better) with some odd side stories which have little or no driving force for the story or character development. There is a certain pathetic fallacy in the anime which is very interesting at points however the ending was disappointing and predictable. All in all, I felt nothing changed from beginning to end and it was a waste of time. I guess I was a little harsh with my initial critique, to be fair it deserves 3.5/5 just because it is very unique and engaging at points however I think it fell into a few traps along the way preventing it from being a truly great rare gem.

If you really look at the reception it gained, as the manga goes along, it falls in rating. The anime as I said does have great themes however it (perhaps this is just the anime as I'm not familiar with the manga) digresses from its initial purpose towards the end.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1974
Once again I have a query regarding shows that I'm thinking of buying :nyoron:

One is Moribito- it's tended to be a series I tend to think "nah not at the moment"...for about a year and a half. But with an £18 boxset announced I finally looked it up and found the premise interesting. However after checking the OP and so on I'm still on the fence.

The other one is Ride back. All I've got from that so far is it has the most dull OP I might have ever seen. Check it out, there's no dynamic nature to it at all...it's more like a failed fanmade OP that one designed to say "check this out"
Catching up on my back log of anime at the moment. I just finished Usagi Drop, which I must say I found myself pleasantly taken to. It was very light hearted, I found the vibrant, light paint art style very aesthetic and although the drawing style was very simple, I think it fitted with the style of the anime as it was something very simple, very light and didn't need any complex or particularly heavy art. A bit short for my liking though, it had a solid character development, nice story and voicing and certainly some light comedy. Definitely one of the better summer '11 releases.
Original post by Truered

One is Moribito- it's tended to be a series I tend to think "nah not at the moment"...for about a year and a half. But with an £18 boxset announced I finally looked it up and found the premise interesting. However after checking the OP and so on I'm still on the fence.

The other one is Ride back. All I've got from that so far is it has the most dull OP I might have ever seen. Check it out, there's no dynamic nature to it at all...it's more like a failed fanmade OP that one designed to say "check this out"

Assuming the former is Seirei no Moribito, I'd recommend it. Aside from having a pretty decent plot and very likable characters, the animation has to be among the best I've seen in a TV anime series. :yes: Those backgrounds. :coma:

Can't speak for Ride Back aside from the first ep which I saw at Aberanime, which was intriguing if nothing else; the rest of the series is on my large want to watch list though. Personally, I absolutely love the OP...
Reply 1977
Original post by Truered

Moribito is pretty good, or at least I thought it was pretty good. The story's nice and the action's fun (if intermittent). Don't go into it expecting a straight-down-the-line adventure, though, as some stretches of it move fairly slowly.

Those backgrounds. :coma:.

Those fight scenes! :coma:

I don't remember much about Ride Back, because I lost interest in it a few episodes in. I'm not sure if that was a problem with me or with the anime.
Reply 1978
I liked ride back when it was airing, the op was cool :hmmm:. Nothing great but generally it was interesting enough. I wouldnt actually buy it though.:erm:

:zomg: Another ep of souten kouro subbed!
Reply 1979
Thanks for the feedback, moribito goes onto the list.

The ride back OP to me was nice bike...why are you still showing me it being driven? :mmm:

I can't decide on what to watch, as I want something moderately special/not generic to be my 300th anime watched/watching/stalled etc :nyoron:

Latest