Turn on thread page Beta

Can you get recruited by an IB by doing an MSc in Organisational Psychology at LSE? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I want to break into Investment Banking. I have a 2:1 in Anatomy from Liverpool uni, ABB A-Levels (English Lit, Biology and French) and 8A*s and 2As at GCSE.

I need to increase my chances and am finding it difficult to get relevant experience (internships, networking, clerical work etc.) I think my best option is to go into further education.

I want to do an MSc at the LSE mainly because of the networking opportunities. I'm considering either:
    - MSc in Finance
    - MSc in Organisational and Social Psychology
    - MSc in Biomedicine, Bioscience and Society

For IB I know it would be best to apply for MSc Finance; however due to my background my chances of getting on this course are slim, I'd have to do an expensive GMAT and the fees are £25k.

If I went for the MSc in Psychology or Biomedicine would this lower my chances of getting recruited by an IB? I've heard that the IBs recruit from ALL subjects at LSE so it doesn't matter that much if you're studying something that isn't even related to IB. I would prefer to study a Psych or Biomed masters because they're so much cheaper, but won't if they're going to damage my recruitment chances. Would it? Also, which one would look better to an IB; Psych or Biomed MSc? thanks

ReputationRep:
    With an MSc from the LSE you can get a job at the Goldman Sachs.

Three threads? Really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexiel)
    Hi

I want to break into Investment Banking. I have a 2:1 in Anatomy from Liverpool uni, ABB A-Levels (English Lit, Biology and French) and 8A*s and 2As at GCSE.

I need to increase my chances and am finding it difficult to get relevant experience (internships, networking, clerical work etc.) I think my best option is to go into further education.
    Watch this youtube vid, it should help you out loads with youre problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovmHfMKHuY8

:mmm: Hope it helped..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdaprice*)
    Watch this youtube vid, it should help you out loads with youre problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovmHfMKHuY8

:mmm: Hope it helped..

LOL!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChevalBlanc)
    With an MSc from the LSE you can get a job at the Goldman Sachs.

Three threads? Really?
    An MSc in any subject? Or just an MSc in Economics/Maths/Finance?

ReputationRep:
    You can't just get into GS with a MSc from LSE with no experience, no EC's.

Alexiel you would be MUCH better doing GMAT. Then applying to Bocconi 2 year course, you have to get a very high GMAT score though. Reasons are the 2 year masters course will let you do an internship. Therefore you will have a masters, work exerience as well as prestige.

Bocconi placement rates aren't bad in London, but they are amazing in there country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineedaplace)

Alexiel you would be MUCH better doing GMAT. Then applying to Bocconi 2 year course, you have to get a very high GMAT score though. Reasons are the 2 year masters course will let you do an internship. Therefore you will have a masters, work exerience as well as prestige.

Bocconi placement rates aren't bad in London, but they are amazing in there country.
    Have to speak Italian?

ReputationRep:

Bocconi places well in Italy. The only problem being that in Italy you'll be payed a net 800/1000/1200 euro a month for years in milan, and that's not exactly a brilliant career by my definition, especially given milan's living costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ametista616)
    Bocconi places well in Italy. The only problem being that in Italy you'll be payed a net 800/1000/1200 euro a month for years in milan, and that's not exactly a brilliant career by my definition, especially given milan's living costs.
    Not true if you are an investment banker in a BBs but, unfortunally (dammit), may be true for internship. No you don't need to speak italian. The MSc in Finance is in english...

ReputationRep:
    what cruel said. Bocconi places better then Manchester in London. I am just saying that it is an option here are the pros:

1) 2 year so time for itnernship

2) study abroad in english maybe a pro

3) good reputation compared to tier 2 for sure, comparable to warwick i think.

ReputationRep:
    Bocconi places better than every UK universities except LSE and Oxbridge. Probably = to Warwick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruel3a)
    Not true if you are an investment banker in a BBs but, unfortunally (dammit), may be true for internship. No you don't need to speak italian. The MSc in Finance is in english...
    Well you do need to speak italian to get the "amazing placement" in Italy.

Plus sure, if you get into a BB you'll earn more than 1200 a month, but it's realistic that not more of 20% of the class will get a BB IBD placement.
    The rest are doomed to the aforementioned 800/1000/1200 euros if they stay in milan.

ReputationRep:
    you can go to bocconi and do a placement in london.... But the thing is OP won't take GMAT so route is not open to her.

I think LBS> Imperial > Bocconi.

ReputationRep:
    you can go to bocconi and do a placement in london.... But the thing is OP won't take GMAT so route is not open to her.

I think LBS> Imperial > Bocconi.
    I thought we were talking about LSE, LBS is a viable option only if you took the gmat.
    Plus LBS pre-experience program is business related, not finance related. That said, they do have an impressive IB recruiters list, especially if you take into account that it's a new program.

ReputationRep:
    we are talking lse but without gmat OP's chances with a 2.1 from a redbrick aren't the best.

MiM still places good from LBS.

ReputationRep:
    we are talking lse but without gmat OP's chances with a 2.1 from a redbrick aren't the best.
    LBS MiM is in no way less competitive to get into than LSE.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that I absolutely refuse to take the GMAT, i'd just strongly prefer not to because I'd have to borrow money to do all the prep training plus the actual test.

ReputationRep:
    Borrow money to do all the prep? Go online, download using torrent the books that you need, go to your university library and take the books that you need.
    Borrow money for the test? It's 300$...

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.