Turn on thread page Beta

sixth form economics work experience watch

ReputationRep:
    I know some people in their year twelves(lower sixth) went to the local hsbc and requested work experience and they were given a week of shadowing work
    im going to try asking this saturday
    what do i need to bring?
    my cv? should i just put "references on request" and the contact details instead of a reference letter?
    when i go into the hsbc branch should i say directly that i want to see their manager or should i just say to whoever i see first that i want work experience?

ReputationRep:
    How Do You Get Work Experience In HSBC?
    I Tried In The Head Office At Canary Wharf
    And A Local Branch But They Say That You
    Have To Get Your Teachers To Contact Them
    And Sort Out A Work Placement?
    I'm Confused!!

ReputationRep:
    Tbh its all about contacts when it comes to work experience...if you or your parents know someone who works in an bank its a lot easier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akash297)
    Tbh its all about contacts when it comes to work experience...if you or your parents know someone who works in an bank its a lot easier
    Not really, I got work experience in HSBC in Year 11 easily, without contacts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)
    Not really, I got work experience in HSBC in Year 11 easily, without contacts.
    how did you do that?

ReputationRep:
    its all about a good convering letter, and making a decent first impression on whoever you talk to on a local branch.
    persistence etc also works, and you have to re-pay the faith.
    I was able to do work exp at Barclays last summer for two weeks; though I was mainly counting notes, I did learn quite a bit about retail banking, and got on well with the other employees.
    Just a speculative letter + CV and references on request works well
    good lucky!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legoravi)
    its all about a good convering letter, and making a decent first impression on whoever you talk to on a local branch.
    persistence etc also works, and you have to re-pay the faith.
    I was able to do work exp at Barclays last summer for two weeks; though I was mainly counting notes, I did learn quite a bit about retail banking, and got on well with the other employees.
    Just a speculative letter + CV and references on request works well
    good lucky!
    wow so did you phone them up?
    where did u do your work experience in hsbc? as in which city?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_dragon337)
    wow so did you phone them up?
    where did u do your work experience in hsbc? as in which city?
    I went in a few times, and talked to a lady who was doing my dad's safety deposit box too etc, it's just asking the right people the right questions.

I didn't go in the city, just the main Barclays branch in the town I live in.

Also dkms9909; definitely. Just get a good covering letter in, and follow it up. Tell them you're just looking for shadowing, and understanding how the system works. Even if you make coffee or scan stuff all week, you'll at least talk to the right people and it's official enough to whack on your CV.
    And it looks beautiful on your Personal Statement

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.