Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Friday night: Friends Vs Family dilema! watch

Anon or delete please - Younger family members use this forum.

Sorry this is a long one - It's got quite a back story. I appreciate this sounds like a cheesy American movie by the way, sorry.
    Or possibly a casting-call for Jeremy Kyle?

Anyway. Me & my best friend made plans to go out, go for a drink & dinner etc. I don't see her very often due to her being at a different college, & her having a boyfriend in the RAF.

My mum passed away 7 years ago in July. When my mum died, my Nanna said she was going to keep in contact and did for around a year. She then suddenly stopped. A year ago, she found me in my place of work by accident. Told me she had sent me emails, letters & phonecalls - but I never recieved anything. I gave her my up to date email & number - nothing. Added to facebook - nothing.

I've just had a Facebook message inviting me out for my uncles birthday dinner. My whole extended family will be there. Of course, I already have plans.

My Nanna has been a serious chain of disappointments throughout my life. For instance, picture being 8 (and 5, for my younger sister), told you were going to the Zoo, and had to be up extra early. You're up, ready & awake - And she never turned up without a word to anyone.

I don't know whether to tell my friend, I need to cancel, and see my family. Or see my friend as planned. I feel extra bad canceling on my friend because she's been posting about how excited she is. I feel bad saying no to my Nanna because she is my only link to my extended family, and my mum. My younger sister can't go if I don't, since my Dad & Nanna don't get on. Also, I will be leaving my home city for Uni for 4 years in September, and I won't get much of a chance to see her again.

I don't know what to do!!!!
    Any advice?

Bump?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, it's a tough one. Is there any way you can do both? E.g. go to your uncle's birthday meal, then slip away later and go for drinks with your friend? Get something for dessert and go back to hers/yours for a catch up?

If not, I'd talk to your sister and try to see whether she wants to go or not. If she does, I'd go to the family meal even if it's not the most fun option just for your sister's sake.

ReputationRep:
    But... It's friday, friday... You gotta get down on friday.... Surely?

ReputationRep:
    Friiied eggg Fridayyy

but do the right thing, obviously, the right thing according to your morals, ethics and whatever.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with your friend as you had already made plans.

Also, your Nana doesn't seem to have a problem with letting you down, if she complains, just politely remind her of the times she has done the same to you. You could always meet up with the family another time?

ReputationRep:
    Why not just take your friend to your Uncle's Birthday. If you can't, just stick to your mate. You already had plans.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.