Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I go to King's and study law (obviously). I'm going into second year from September, adn was wondering if it's too late to get into mooting.

I didn't get involved this year because literally every moot that occurred required 'previous mooting experience.' I think I may have missed the very first moot of the year, the mini moot, but having this requirement has meant for the rest of the year, I haven't been able to apply.

Do you have to apply as a team, or can you apply alone and then be put into a team? Mooting is something I really wanted to do before going up to King's but didn't seem to materialise, plus the moots are so irregular e.g. two a term?!

ReputationRep:
    Speaking to the organiser would probably help.
    Each university runs it differently, mine has an internal competition where you don't need previous experience, you just sign up either as a team or on your own to be put into a team and just moot until you get kicked out in the first, second, third, millionth, final etc. round.

If you're worried about it being too late in your second year I wouldn't imagine so, just make sure you attend the mini moot or whatever it is that appears to have been required.

Goodluck for next year.

ReputationRep:
    I can't imagine it's too late. I don't know how it works at Kings but if there's a competition for people with no experience, I doubt that's limited to first years so try and enter it

As for competitions, it does depend on the competition. For example, my uni has 2 competitions which you enter alone and 2 where you have to work with your team member. It should say in the rules/sign-ups which one it is but ask the competition co-ordinator

ReputationRep:
    OP, i cant understand why you're getting neg rep - some people dont do mooting until they do they're BPTC: one of my tutors, a practising barrister, was saying that she didnt do it till then, though it was noticeable.

Speak to your tutors, find out whats going on at the university first, we have an internal competition at york which i won this year - and that was open to all years. Some of the law schools run them too i think? Have a poke around and find out, but 2nd year is definitely not too late

ReputationRep:
    You can get onto the mini-moot at the start of your second year, and thus you will have experience for the rest of the moots. It's merely limited to first-time mooters, not first year law students. Also search for moots outside of King's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon12345)
    You can get onto the mini-moot at the start of your second year, and thus you will have experience for the rest of the moots. It's merely limited to first-time mooters, not first year law students. Also search for moots outside of King's.
    Which moot outside of king's? Surely you have to apply as a team?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lesbionic)
    Which moot outside of king's? Surely you have to apply as a team?
    I don't know of specific mooting competitions because I've not really looked into it much myself, but I know there are plenty out there. Do some research yourself.

A quick Google came up with this, it's an old page but I'm sure plenty of them still run:

http://www.mootingnet.org.uk/competition.html

I'm sure there are plenty of others out there too.

Each competition will have its own requirements. I don't know if you always have to apply as a team.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 25, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.