Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trey-Cii3)
    I got my email (1st June - 8:30am) wooo!

I am going to apply for Bakewell and I have a few weird questions:

Do people tend do get a lot of spiders or bugs? lol

Ummm how long does the floor in the en-suites take to dry usually, because I know they're like wash rooms.

And how far is Bakewell from any supermarket or the village?
    It's about a 5min walk or less to one of the student shops on the campus. So very close!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trey-Cii3)
    I got my email (1st June - 8:30am) wooo!

I am going to apply for Bakewell and I have a few weird questions:

Do people tend do get a lot of spiders or bugs? lol

Ummm how long does the floor in the en-suites take to dry usually, because I know they're like wash rooms.

And how far is Bakewell from any supermarket or the village?
    The only bugs I see in my kitchen are due to the bins not being taken out when it's warm. The en-suites don't take too long to dry AFAIK, ~20 minutes give or take, I think. Bakewell's quite close to one of the uni shops (The Purple Onion), though I'd really only go if you desperately needed something (campus shops are expensive for everything bar newspapers). You probably want to walk into town to go shopping and take the bus back onto campus (one every 10 minutes) and get off at the Wolfson end of campus so you have about 5 minutes (if that) of walking with all your shopping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyHolz)
    It's about a 5min walk or less to one of the student shops on the campus. So very close!

(Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    The only bugs I see in my kitchen are due to the bins not being taken out when it's warm. The en-suites don't take too long to dry AFAIK, ~20 minutes give or take, I think. Bakewell's quite close to one of the uni shops (The Purple Onion), though I'd really only go if you desperately needed something (campus shops are expensive for everything bar newspapers). You probably want to walk into town to go shopping and take the bus back onto campus (one every 10 minutes) and get off at the Wolfson end of campus so you have about 5 minutes (if that) of walking with all your shopping.
    Thanx guys, very quick and helpful responses!

ReputationRep:
    Never seen any bugs, only spiders and that's cause I leave my window open :p: and the bathrooms dry very quickly when washed.

Just be sure to empty your bins often enough so no blue bottles come about :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    I don't want ensuite, it's so much more expensive and I don't think it's worth it. I'm prepared to slum it. :p:
    :P fair enough tbh i think i'll do the same and avoid ensuite. Which room type you planning to apply for? 6 to 7 bed flat (Room refurbishment for 2010-11) or 3 to 4 bed flat?

what course are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel_Leah)
    Did you do that this morning? Lucky devil
    I did mine a few days ago. I enquired about being on the swim team at Loughborough, and they have their own part of the accomodation in BillMo (makes sense really, we're up really early most mornings, so would be a bit unfair to disturb everyone else those mornings). :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanLim93)
    :P fair enough tbh i think i'll do the same and avoid ensuite. Which room type you planning to apply for? 6 to 7 bed flat (Room refurbishment for 2010-11) or 3 to 4 bed flat?

what course are you applying for?
    I just realised Robert Bakewell is ensuite, better cross it of my list. :eek:
    I think I want a 6-7 bed flat. My reasoning is that it means there's more of a chance I'll meet people I like. What do you want?

I applied for English and American Lit.
    You?

ReputationRep:
    I received my email to apply for accomodation on the 31th but mine opens at 1:30 does this put me at a disadvantage to those who`s open at 9:00 on the same day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetmango)
    I received my email to apply for accomodation on the 31th but mine opens at 1:30 does this put me at a disadvantage to those who`s open at 9:00 on the same day
    No.

You're not at a disadvantage, they just spread everyone out so the website isn't completely hammered by everyone trying to apply at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    I just realised Robert Bakewell is ensuite, better cross it of my list. :eek:
    I think I want a 6-7 bed flat. My reasoning is that it means there's more of a chance I'll meet people I like. What do you want?

I applied for English and American Lit.
    You?
    I ws thinking the exact same thing More people would be more fun
    Accounting and financial management will see how the first year goes and then maybe switch courses to international business

Hope we get the rooms we want and the grades we need :P

ReputationRep:
    Accounting and financial management will see how the first year goes and then maybe switch courses to international business
    Unless you've checked and they've said such a change is possible, don't count on being able to do that. There's no guarantee they will let you, particular if the second year of one course has prerequisite modules you haven't done (though I've looked at the modules for both and the first two are quite similar, but still, don't rely on it).

ReputationRep:
    I ws thinking the exact same thing More people would be more fun

Hope we get the rooms we want and the grades we need :P
    Ahh me too!
    I really need to kick my butt into gear and start revising properly!

ReputationRep:
    Helloooooo conditional offer people.

Accommodation applications open in a day or two so I thought I'd post a few quick tips. In hindsight I should have written this a couple of weeks ago in time for the unconditional offer holders, but it didn't occur to me.

Before applying
    • Make sure you have your email about the applications process, it contains details which are vital. If you don't, check junk and spam email folders, and if you definitely don't have it then contact the accommodation office as soon as possible, you cannot apply without it. They should all have been sent by now, but there's bound to be someone out there who hasn't noticed they've got it.
    • Have all your details somewhere convenient. If you're applying for a competitive hall then you don't want to waste ten minutes before logging in to the application system because you forgot where you wrote down your details.
    • Apply as early as you can. You will have been given a specific time from which you can apply, this splits the applicants into groups so they don't crash the servers by having several thousand people applying at the same time, but within these groups it is first-come first-served, so if you apply as soon as you can then you will maximise the chance of getting the room you want.
    • Know which room you want before you apply, or at the very least, know what sort of room (catered, self catered, ensuite, WHB, etc) so you can state a preference for that room type if your first choice is not available.
    • Have a couple of backup choices. If you've set your heart on a certain hall, particularly ones such as Elvyn, Bakewell, Rigg Rut and Bill Mo, then remember that these are always oversubscribed and it is by no means certain that you will get a room there.
    • Have at least two web browsers installed. I've heard of people having trouble with the site but it then being fine on a different web browser. It's unlikely to happen to you but if it does you will be able to try the site on a different browser in seconds.

After applying
    • Do lots of work. Get required grades.
    • Pay your room bond. This is approximately £150 and must be paid within eight days of your academic place being confirmed, ie. Within eight days of A level results day for most people.
    • Complete the online induction form. You will be told about this in due course, it is basically a living in halls health and safety test sort of thing. It's not exactly strenuous but you need to complete it before you arrive or you won't be given your keys.

No doubt I've said lots of stuff which most people already know, but hopefully that helps someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Helloooooo conditional offer people.

Before applying[*]Have all your details somewhere convenient. If you're applying for a competitive hall then you don't want to waste ten minutes before logging in to the application system because you forgot where you wrote down your details.
    Just making sure but what do you mean by details?
    Is that just UCAS application number?

ReputationRep:
    Just making sure but what do you mean by details?
    Is that just UCAS application number?
    Stuff like that, I don't actually know exactly what you'll need so my advice would be to have anything like that (UCAS number, any details or numbers or anything the uni has sent you) ready in case you do need them.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm having a slight issue with the application process (I think) I confirmed my email the other day and submitted the code I got sent, everything went fine. Now when I try to log on it only asks me to confirm my email again and when I put in the code it tells me a student account already exists with that code please use your credentials . Is this meant to be happening? I'm not sure if it is because I can't apply for my accommodation until 3rd June. Is there another place I am meant to log in at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kris_93)
    Hey, I'm having a slight issue with the application process (I think) I confirmed my email the other day and submitted the code I got sent, everything went fine. Now when I try to log on it only asks me to confirm my email again and when I put in the code it tells me a student account already exists with that code please use your credentials . Is this meant to be happening? I'm not sure if it is because I can't apply for my accommodation until 3rd June. Is there another place I am meant to log in at?
    Sounds a bit weird. Can't really help without seeing it, you're probably best calling up the accommodation centre tomorrow if you haven't solved it by then.

Check your email and makes sure they haven't sent you details like a username and password which you're meant to use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Sounds a bit weird. Can't really help without seeing it, you're probably best calling up the accommodation centre tomorrow if you haven't solved it by then.

Check your email and makes sure they haven't sent you details like a username and password which you're meant to use.

Yer my plan way to call up because I haven't had any emails, plus now the page just won't even let me type anything, tells me 'this page cannot be called directly' so I'm suspecting maybe a website issue. Thanks any way!

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I'm choosing my accomodation tomorrow and was wondering how many halls do we have to put down? Is it 5? (For some reason I thought it was 5).

Thanks. Does the process take a while or a few minutes? :P Finally do you choose your preferences and then student accomodation offer me any one of them if they are available?

Sorry for all the questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apo1324)
    Hello all,

I'm choosing my accomodation tomorrow and was wondering how many halls do we have to put down? Is it 5? (For some reason I thought it was 5).
    You're shown a list of available room types and you choose the one you want. Unless the room type you want is unavailable then you don't need to state a preference of any sort.

Thanks. Also does the process take a while or a few minutes? :P
    A few minutes, but the site might be slow with a lot of people using it.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.