Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Fingers crossed I'll be starting uni at Loughborough in September - grades dependant. I'm starting to worry about my accommodation and how much my room bond is going to cost me. I'll be starting as an undergrad and just wondered how much I need to save up over the next couple of weeks.

I didn't know if the room bond was different for different halls as I can't seem to find anything on the Loughborough website. The closest I can find is a room bond for returning students which is at £150. I can't see why it would be any different for an undergraduate but I thought it was better to just ask then guess.

Thanks
    BonaSwirl

ReputationRep:
    It's the same, £150

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    It's the same, £150
    Was £160 for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    Was £160 for me!
    Heh, could have sworn mine was £150. Did they put it up last year?

ReputationRep:
    Heh, could have sworn mine was £150. Did they put it up last year?
    Must have. Ah well, conned my parents into paying it since I had no money at the time. And I think they have it back now.

ReputationRep:
    no, i payed 150 and im starting this year.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, awesome, cheers guys! I thought it was gonna be more like £250, looks like I can go out and buy some stuff instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    How much space do you get in your room (BillMo) for stuff like TV's/PS3/Laptop ect?
    This is a picture of my room last year (I miss it ) - http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...020700078.jpg/

As you can see you can easily fit a 32 inch TV and Xbox on there, and with enough shuffling you could probably have some desk space left for your laptop, printer and a workspace area. Though most of the time I just ended up working on my bed because it was comfy :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phobia27)
    This is a picture of my room last year (I miss it ) - http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...020700078.jpg/

As you can see you can easily fit a 32 inch TV and Xbox on there, and with enough shuffling you could probably have some desk space left for your laptop, printer and a workspace area. Though most of the time I just ended up working on my bed because it was comfy :ahee:
    Ah wow thats pretty cool, was looking to fit Laptop + TV up there and possibly connect the TV up as a laptop's monitor for gaming. Is there room for a medium-ish sized whiteboard or posters in the room (assuming you are allowed them?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    Ah wow thats pretty cool, was looking to fit Laptop + TV up there and possibly connect the TV up as a laptop's monitor for gaming. Is there room for a medium-ish sized whiteboard or posters in the room (assuming you are allowed them?).
    Posters yes, though bearing in mind that during the inspections every term or so they will note down where posters are in the bedroom and specifically look for blue tac prints at the end of the year. And no idea on the whiteboard, not really anywhere you can hang it up. There is a notice board thing where you can pin up posters and sheets on there, like I pinned up a map of Loughborough campus, timetables, etc.

Just keep remembering throughout the year to leave the room as you found it, no damage, marks, etc. I got my full £160 room bond back other day :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Posters yes, though bearing in mind that during the inspections every term or so they will note down where posters are in the bedroom and specifically look for blue tac prints at the end of the year. And no idea on the whiteboard, not really anywhere you can hang it up. There is a notice board thing where you can pin up posters and sheets on there, like I pinned up a map of Loughborough campus, timetables, etc.

Just keep remembering throughout the year to leave the room as you found it, no damage, marks, etc. I got my full £160 room bond back other day :ahee:
    I was thinking of putting a whiteboard over the notice board or atleast part of it (stuck using removable adhesive).

ReputationRep:
    Posters yes, though bearing in mind that during the inspections every term or so they will note down where posters are in the bedroom and specifically look for blue tac prints at the end of the year.
    Eh??? They check your room every term?? Do they give you warning or just show up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyinks)
    Eh??? They check your room every term?? Do they give you warning or just show up?
    Yeah very occasional room inspections are normal.

In my experience they will give you plenty of notice along the lines of "room inspections will be carried out starting from x/x/2011", but they won't give you an exact date or time.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah very occasional room inspections are normal.

In my experience they will give you plenty of notice along the lines of "room inspections will be carried out starting from x/x/2011", but they won't give you an exact date or time.
    Do they check every part of the room? Like under mattress and in wardrobe?? Was thinking of getting a minifridge haha

ReputationRep:
    Do they check every part of the room? Like under mattress and in wardrobe?? Was thinking of getting a minifridge haha
    They might look in the wardrobe but they're primarily checking that you're keeping it reasonably clean and nothing's broken rather than going out of their way looking for stuff you shouldn't have.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you get plenty of notice and usually tell you what day they will be coming. And yeah it is roughly one every term.

It's nothing big, just making sure there is no visible damage and they are there for less than a minute. You'll probably be in lectures when they are doing it anyway. Doesn't matter if it's super clean or not, they probably see a lot worse!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you get plenty of notice and usually tell you what day they will be coming. And yeah it is roughly one every term.

It's nothing big, just making sure there is no visible damage and they are there for less than a minute. You'll probably be in lectures when they are doing it anyway. Doesn't matter if it's super clean or not, they probably see a lot worse!

They might look in the wardrobe but they're primarily checking that you're keeping it reasonably clean and nothing's broken rather than going out of their way looking for stuff you shouldn't have.
    O ok thanks. And my room should be relatively damage free but if there is anything ill probs stack some books in front of it to hide it lol

ReputationRep:

They do that? Or is it just a specific hall? Butler never had that to my knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    They do that? Or is it just a specific hall? Butler never had that to my knowledge.
    Bill Mo do, not sure about any other halls. Might just be a UNITE thing?

ReputationRep:
    Bill Mo do, not sure about any other halls. Might just be a UNITE thing?
    They do in The Holt as well (also UNITE). I can't remember it happening in the Imago hall I was in last year, but then the rooms got cleaned for us occasionally so maybe they were counting on that doubling as a sort of inspection?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 22, 2014

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.