Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    They do in The Holt as well (also UNITE). I can't remember it happening in the Imago hall I was in last year, but then the rooms got cleaned for us occasionally so maybe they were counting on that doubling as a sort of inspection?
    Yeah, we had a weekly cleaner. I guess she would have notified Imago if anything was up - I remember going to check my mail and seeing a mini fridge there with one of our committee member's name on, then saw on Facebook him abusing the cleaner for ratting him out.

ReputationRep:
    Falk Egg is on campus, anyone living there this year who is feeling nervous should not worry. On first view the hall is run down, but without a doubt it has the best atmosphere and a real sense of community.

ReputationRep:
    I'm dumping my first choice, and applying to Lboro through clearing. Loughborough were orignally my insurance choice and have told me I have a place, I just have to email them my clearing number when I get released.

Does anyone know how I go about applying for accommodation, the website is a bit confusing? Do I need to wait until I have a university student number? I'm a mature student, hoping to get ensuite or a self contained flat really... I hope there are some left!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigV)
    I'm dumping my first choice, and applying to Lboro through clearing. Loughborough were orignally my insurance choice and have told me I have a place, I just have to email them my clearing number when I get released.

Does anyone know how I go about applying for accommodation, the website is a bit confusing? Do I need to wait until I have a university student number? I'm a mature student, hoping to get ensuite or a self contained flat really... I hope there are some left!
    What made you decide to change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    What made you decide to change?
    The second departmental open day I visited at my first choice was disappointing and left me with a few niggling doubts about both the university and the actual course. Compared to the first general open day I went to in 2010 it was very uninspiring.

At first I felt these doubts were simply last minute nerves as things were becoming all too 'real', if that makes sense? So I went ahead and firmed up my choices anyway. However, the more I have thought about it the more I have realised that the course is wrong for me (too focused on software engineering/programming & theory). And that I was actually starting to dread the idea of going there. So, in all honesty it was probably a gut instinct decision, albeit at the last moment!

I feel the IMC course at Lboro has a better mix of content and although I haven't actually visited the department, I did go to the mature students open day and I felt the university has a very nice campus atmosphere and positive vibe.

The Information Science tutor has been extremely quick and helpful in advising me on taking up my original offer with them (this is in contrast to Leicester who were not particularly responsive to my questions) . Basically I emailed to see if they would still have me and after seeing my results, they agreed to keep the a place open through clearing. So I all I have to do now is wait for leicester to release me and then email Lboro my clearing number.

So yeah, a bit silly really as I maybe should have delayed making my firm/insurance choices a while, or at least realised my mistake earlier. But everyone makes mistakes I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when you'll hear back about what accommodation you've got if you used the preference system? I'm an art foundation student if this makes any difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallistrate)
    Does anyone know when you'll hear back about what accommodation you've got if you used the preference system? I'm an art foundation student if this makes any difference.
    I can't remember exactly when I got my offer for accommodation last year (I went through the preferences system), but it'll most likely be a few days after results day when your place is confirmed at the Uni.

ReputationRep:
    I have a place at Elvyn Richards this year and I'm just asking are people allowed to stay in your room? Since my boyfriend will be visiting now and again!....has anyone had any problems with this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    I can't remember exactly when I got my offer for accommodation last year (I went through the preferences system), but it'll most likely be a few days after results day when your place is confirmed at the Uni.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gibob)
    I have a place at Elvyn Richards this year and I'm just asking are people allowed to stay in your room? Since my boyfriend will be visiting now and again!....has anyone had any problems with this?
    Never heard of anyone having problems with people staying over, you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gibob)
    Three of my flatmates had their girlfriends in Loughborough for the February half-term and no one cared/noticed - and this is was in Butler Court with shared rooms. One of the most awkward weeks of my life to date...

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody got any experience of getting University accommodation through insurance/clearing spots? I'm pretty set on having a self-catered en-suite room but i'm not quite sure that these will still be available come September. Should I just look into private rooms? I have been recommended Kingfisher which looks great, I've also looked at Waterways which I am not so sure about.

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when we actually move in to halls? In the registration booklet it gives the term start date as 3rd October but i thought different halls moved in on different days so it was staggered across the week? its just that I'll need to book my flight over form NI so the sooner i know the cheaper the flights will be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toddy9321)
    Does anyone know when we actually move in to halls? In the registration booklet it gives the term start date as 3rd October but i thought different halls moved in on different days so it was staggered across the week? its just that I'll need to book my flight over form NI so the sooner i know the cheaper the flights will be
    I believe it's between September 26th and 30th, depending on the hall, but haven't found out for sure yet.

ReputationRep:
    So this thread has been a huge help~ But I was wondering if anyone had any opinions they’d be willing to give about Falk Egg. I’ve been offered a place there and haven’t seen it, so… is it all right? Cheap and cheerful?

ReputationRep:
    I have been given an accomodation offer at Butler Court for a twin shared ensuite room. I was unhappy with this, what are the chances of swapping to get an ensuite single and self catered.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the Holt, en suite. Anybody else?

ReputationRep:
    Trying to accept my accommodation offer and it's telling me that my user credentials are invalid I've logged on to the my.lboro site with the same details as it's asking for. Why won't it work...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lotta!)
    Trying to accept my accommodation offer and it's telling me that my user credentials are invalid I've logged on to the my.lboro site with the same details as it's asking for. Why won't it work...?
    Try ringing them up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lotta!)
    Theres a link (maybe in this thread or the firmers) but you have activate credentials to get a username and password to be used at uni. Maybe theyre asking for that??

The link was posted like less than 3 days ago

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.