The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Village Whisper
Well, I'm sure you wouldn't be alone if you did decide to stick around, considering well over half of the people at the post-offers day I went to were from the foundation course! I'm sure that couldn't have been all of the people on my course since there were only around 30 of us, but I was really surprised at how many of them were already there. Hopefully it won't be problem with people already knowing each other in October...As long as they're all nice :tongue:

That's interesting to hear, actually, though I guess it kinda makes sense. I doubt it'd cause any real issues considering half of the people on your course *aren't* from Lboro :smile: Are there any other people from your college coming with you (for Fine Art or otherwise)?
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by Juanitor
That's interesting to hear, actually, though I guess it kinda makes sense. I doubt it'd cause any real issues considering half of the people on your course *aren't* from Lboro :smile: Are there any other people from your college coming with you (for Fine Art or otherwise)?

That's very true :tongue: I didn't think there was anyone else going, but I found someone at my foundation show private view who apparently is. Well, I say "found", but I still don't know who she is...Everyone had a piece of paper next to their work with their name and where they're going, and hers said Fine Art at Loughborough. That could be embarrassing in October if I don't even recognise her face, since there were only around 80 people on the course :tongue:
That's very true :tongue: I didn't think there was anyone else going, but I found someone at my foundation show private view who apparently is. Well, I say "found", but I still don't know who she is...Everyone had a piece of paper next to their work with their name and where they're going, and hers said Fine Art at Loughborough. That could be embarrassing in October if I don't even recognise her face, since there were only around 80 people on the course :tongue:

Lol, just a tad. Especially if you end up in the same hall + flat, and she happens to recognise you :tongue:

How did you find foundation art anyway? Compared to A-level? I'm really eager to get on with it now that school's out and exams are almost over :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Lol, just a tad. Especially if you end up in the same hall + flat, and she happens to recognise you :tongue:

How did you find foundation art anyway? Compared to A-level? I'm really eager to get on with it now that school's out and exams are almost over :biggrin:

Oh dear, that would be awful! It's probably pretty unlikely, but I might just be that unlucky...!

Um, well. If it was anywhere other than the college I went to, I would've liked it a whole lot more :tongue: The college has a pretty bad reputation, since a lot of the "naughty people" from local secondary schools and those with really bad attitudes who couldn't care less about learning go there to do hair and beauty and stuff. So basically, outside of the art department foundation rooms, it felt a lot like school. Which is really weird when I'd just finished at one of the best 6th forms in the UK :tongue: That probably sounds arrogant, but it's true. The teachers weren't brilliant, either.

Course-wise though, I loved that you can basically do what you want and you have time to focus on your work without having to worry about revising for other subjects. It was a bit strange to start with because there's a lot less structure than A-Level, but you get used to it. Sooo, I reckon the combination of the course itself with the Loughborough tutors/facilities/everything else will make it a really good year for you :smile:
Oh dear, that would be awful! It's probably pretty unlikely, but I might just be that unlucky...!

Um, well. If it was anywhere other than the college I went to, I would've liked it a whole lot more :tongue: The college has a pretty bad reputation, since a lot of the "naughty people" from local secondary schools and those with really bad attitudes who couldn't care less about learning go there to do hair and beauty and stuff. So basically, outside of the art department foundation rooms, it felt a lot like school. Which is really weird when I'd just finished at one of the best 6th forms in the UK :tongue: That probably sounds arrogant, but it's true. The teachers weren't brilliant, either.

Course-wise though, I loved that you can basically do what you want and you have time to focus on your work without having to worry about revising for other subjects. It was a bit strange to start with because there's a lot less structure than A-Level, but you get used to it. Sooo, I reckon the combination of the course itself with the Loughborough tutors/facilities/everything else will make it a really good year for you :smile:

Is it pretty intensive though? I've heard that it's something like 9-5 5 days a week and a lot of people have said they spent a lot of extra studio time there in the evenings? :tongue: I'm afraid that I won't be able to really go out or spend a lot of time with flatmates if we're just living and breathing art foundation!

And getting up in the morning's gonna kill me :biggrin: The course looks great fun though, I'm really excited! Just hope this summer project we're given isn't too difficult or time-consuming, touch wood. :tongue:
Reply 1325
I got the standard Harry French too :smile: I nearly died of a heart attack in the process though...I was sat outside a campsite bar in France in torrential rain, trying to prevent my laptop from drowning before I booked my room :tongue: It didn't help that it was pretty slow (don't know if that was because of all the other people logging in or the Wi-Fi connection), but I think all the options were there when I got on.

Got my first choice, though :smile: Did you say you're doing art foundation? I'm doing fine art :smile:

Has anyone else got Harry French?

I'm in Harry French. I'm a Master's student Creative Writing. I applied as soon as they said I could.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sophiered
Is it pretty intensive though? I've heard that it's something like 9-5 5 days a week and a lot of people have said they spent a lot of extra studio time there in the evenings? :tongue: I'm afraid that I won't be able to really go out or spend a lot of time with flatmates if we're just living and breathing art foundation!

And getting up in the morning's gonna kill me :biggrin: The course looks great fun though, I'm really excited! Just hope this summer project we're given isn't too difficult or time-consuming, touch wood. :tongue:

Well, it wasn't at my college :tongue: Every place teaches it slightly differently, I think. Mine was only Tuesday (10-4pm), Wednesday (9-4pm) and Thursday (9-1pm), and the majority of my work was done at home. I assume that people at places like CSM are in the studio a LOT more than that, though :tongue:

I'm sure you'll be fine. The main purpose of a foundation is to build up your portfolio to get onto a good degree course, anyway (well, that's how most people treat it). I bet you'll have plenty of time for other things too! :smile:

Original post by Shacksi
I'm in Harry French. I'm a Master's student Creative Writing. I applied as soon as they said I could.

Oh yeah, I saw your post on the "Getting to know you" thread :smile: Are you in the postgrad accommodation, then?
Reply 1327

Oh yeah, I saw your post on the "Getting to know you" thread :smile: Are you in the postgrad accommodation, then?

I am indeed. I'm so excited to go!
Original post by Shacksi
I am indeed. I'm so excited to go!

Me too, but it's also a bit scary :tongue: Are you moving there in September straight from Illinois?
Reply 1329
Me too, but it's also a bit scary :tongue: Are you moving there in September straight from Illinois?

Yup, probably driving up to Chicago from my little city on the Mississippi to fly to Heathrow on the morning of the 27th. Just in time to move in and be ready for my 23rd birthday.
Ooh well, hopefully you'll meet some nice people for your birthday! I guess that could be a pretty good way to get to know everyone :smile:
And getting up in the morning's gonna kill me

Actually compared to my current situation where I wake up at 6:30 and take an hour to get to school, living 800m from the place and starting slightly later sounds like heaven :tongue:

Course-wise though, I loved that you can basically do what you want and you have time to focus on your work without having to worry about revising for other subjects... there's a lot less structure than A-Level

That sounds pretty awesome. My A-level course was actually pretty unstructured, imo. We were left to get on with the CW and exams pretty much as we liked, and our tutor just came round every week or so to discuss what we were experimenting with and where our thoughts were leading us. Plus we had a technician in the Tech/Art lab who was just around, he was great for bouncing ideas off and aiding with big practical work.
(edited 11 years ago)

That sounds pretty awesome. My A-level course was actually pretty unstructured, imo. We were left to get on with the CW and exams pretty much as we liked, and our tutor just came round every week or so to discuss what we were experimenting with and where our thoughts were leading us. Plus we had a technician in the Tech/Art lab who was just around, he was great for bouncing ideas off and aiding with big practical work.

Didn't you have to go through the list of Assessment Objectives to make sure you've got enough for each one? My tutors were pretty relaxed about the actual themes we chose to look at, but when it came to the AOs they were always going on about how people weren't doing enough artist and primary research :tongue:
Didn't you have to go through the list of Assessment Objectives to make sure you've got enough for each one? My tutors were pretty relaxed about the actual themes we chose to look at, but when it came to the AOs they were always going on about how people weren't doing enough artist and primary research :tongue:

Not really, honestly. To be fair, from Year 7 we focused on long sketchbook projects that started with research and response, so I think we were alright as far as that went. Plus our tutor really disliked the whole structured course thing with the bureaucratic 'assessment objective' marking and all that, hehe.
Reply 1334
Applied yesterday :frown: all the self-catered room reservation option's had been taken!, instead i had no choice but to opt for the "prefferences option" guys how likely is it that i will get a room based on my prefferences? i really would have liked to live at the telford hall village, and also since i have applied yesterday does that mean that i will be given priority over students who apply after me? thanks alot!!!! :smile: and just a last question am i guranteed a room inside the university having chosen the prefferences option? or would i need to look else where off campus
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sh47
Applied yesterday :frown: all the self-catered room reservation option's had been taken!, instead i had no choice but to opt for the "prefferences option" guys how likely is it that i will get a room based on my prefferences?

No way to know, really. You'll probably get a room that fits some of what you put down as preferences but if it fits all of what you asked for then you're pretty lucky.

i really would have liked to live at the telford hall village, and also since i have applied yesterday does that mean that i will be given priority over students who apply after me?

Pretty sure everyone who uses the preferences system has the same chance.

and just a last question am i guranteed a room inside the university having chosen the prefferences option? or would i need to look else where off campus

You'll be offered a room somewhere (not necessarily on campus but still in university halls - Bill Mo, The Holt and Harry French aren't on campus), there's just no guarantee about what sort of room you'll be offered. I believe Telford tends to be one of the less popular halls so you might get lucky :smile:
Original post by Doodlepip
Got a room in 'Falk-Egg on Tour' this morning :biggrin: anyone know anything about Village Court other than its new this year? Slightly worried because I know nothing about it :O

Anyone else going to be in village court next year? :smile:

im in village court next year too! well i know its been refurbished recently and that the rooms are a decent size so im sure it wont be bad!! plus i think the 'student experience' is what you make it :smile:
Okie dokie! :smile: Hopefully I'll go sometime next week and I'll take some pictures for other curious Falk-Eggers. But it looks very nice from what I've seen around the website etc.

heya im in village court next year too! if you do go and see it/take any pics... let me know! x
Okie dokie! :smile: Hopefully I'll go sometime next week and I'll take some pictures for other curious Falk-Eggers.

Did you happen to go have a look? I'm also curious to know what next year is going to look like.
Reply 1339
Hi!

I have put lboro down as my insurance choice for this year, and was wondering what accommodation would be available if I end up to coming here.

I live in the north of Scotland and so would obviously need accommodation. I'm not too fussed about the cost, but do any of you know if halls will still be available? I understand that some firmers won't make their offers also... If not would I have to find a place out of town, and what would this be like in terms of making friends etc?

Does anyone have any experiences?

Latest

Trending

Trending