Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenite)
    Computer Science You?
    Cool, Industrial Design for me. What accomodation are you in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Design_Me_A_Tom)
    Cool, Industrial Design for me. What accomodation are you in?
    Rigg-Rut

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if we find out our room/block number before we arrive, or when we arrive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickA92)
    Does anyone know if we find out our room/block number before we arrive, or when we arrive?
    When you arrive.

ReputationRep:
    What are the chances of getting your accommodation swapped using, the swap list?

ReputationRep:
    Whoever is staying in John Phillips, enter the JP facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/404333872966393/

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys just need some help.

I applied for my room late (you know pre-uni fears; the ones where you dont think you've got in and you have) like on the 17th of august. I haven't heard back yet which is making me a little bit worried. I am not in the country at the minute so if i should have received any letters from the uni regarding a confirmation or something like that before being able to do anything then i can't do anything till i get back! I was just looking for some advice and if anyone could just tell me if they did receive a letter or something similar.

Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gokul1)
    Hey guys just need some help.

I applied for my room late (you know pre-uni fears; the ones where you dont think you've got in and you have) like on the 17th of august. I haven't heard back yet which is making me a little bit worried. I am not in the country at the minute so if i should have received any letters from the uni regarding a confirmation or something like that before being able to do anything then i can't do anything till i get back! I was just looking for some advice and if anyone could just tell me if they did receive a letter or something similar.

Thanks guys!
    As far as I know, you should receive an email containing the accommodation they offered you, I didn't get any accommodation news through the post, keep checking your email

ReputationRep:
    If I get my room changed, will I have to pay another bond or will it be transferred over?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pn94)
    If I get my room changed, will I have to pay another bond or will it be transferred over?
    It should be transferred over, I believe :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Most people seem to be asking about arrival and room numbers etc:
    You'll find out your room number and flatmates on arrival day. This will be in different buildings for different halls: The Hub for Elvyn, Bakewell & Rigg-Rut; Whitworth Tower for Cayley, Faraday, Village court/Falk-Egg on tour, Royce, Rutherford and Telford; David Collett reception for DC; The Holt reception for the Holt, BillMo reception for BillMo, East Grove for Harry French and East Park reception for Towers and Butler Court. You'll have about 40 mins to unpack your car and move it if car parking is an issue for the hall (Harry French, BillMo and The Holt don't really have this time restraint). Upon receiving your key/card, you'll be given your Student ID, freshers' pack and freshers' shirt, and last year we had a box of goodies including a notebook, bottle of Mountain Dew and Rowntrees Randoms. The fresher helpers will guide you to your room and help you unpack your stuff and answer any questions you have. There'll probably be tears, but everyone will be in the same boat and the fresher helpers really help you ease you in. Pay your hall subs before arriving though! I didn't and had a few nagging e-mails from the hall treasurer. Might be liable to a fine as well. And wardens are terrifying.

Hope this all helps!

ReputationRep:
    What is the village court like? There is hardly any information on it as I know that the way it works has changed this year for people who stay there. Is it in a good location? Is it a nice place to be? I spoke to the accommodation office and the woman said it was real nice but I want a second opinion. Try and be positive with the feedback as I'm nervos about it already lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    I'm going to be in Telford Halls, I would like to know if the bed in the standard room withwash basins are single or double bed. I'd like to know because i need to buy bedding.

Also, do they come with cutlery, pans etc. already or not?

Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Design_Me_A_Tom)
    I'm going to be in Telford Halls, I would like to know if the bed in the standard room withwash basins are single or double bed. I'd like to know because i need to buy bedding.

Also, do they come with cutlery, pans etc. already or not?

Thankyou
    It's either single or 4ft, I'm not sure which I'm afraid.

None of the halls provide cutlery or pans or anything like that, just the basics like a microwave, kettle, oven, toaster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    It's either single or 4ft, I'm not sure which I'm afraid.

None of the halls provide cutlery or pans or anything like that, just the basics like a microwave, kettle, oven, toaster.
    Thankyou for your help, I've found out that I will have a single bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazah)
    What is the village court like? There is hardly any information on it as I know that the way it works has changed this year for people who stay there. Is it in a good location? Is it a nice place to be? I spoke to the accommodation office and the woman said it was real nice but I want a second opinion. Try and be positive with the feedback as I'm nervos about it already lol!
    Just been refurbished this year, so I can only assume it's to quite a high standard. It'll be like you're in a brand new hall, by what I could see from the outside. They've put in double glazed windows, all fixtures and fittings are brand new, all kitchens are brand new. You'll also have the Falkner-Eggington committee, who are well known for giving their residents a damn good time. The location is pretty decent as well. You're 2 minutes from the Engineering departments and lecture halls, less than a minute from the library, about 5 minutes from the main lecture halls and 5 minutes from the union. The only thing that might bother you is the distance to the town centre and the supermarkets. You'll probably need to catch the Sprint bus for a big shop.
    Village Court used to be Elvyn Richards before it moved to the new halls opposite and believe me, they have done wonders to make it look so nice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenickoftime)
    Just been refurbished this year, so I can only assume it's to quite a high standard. It'll be like you're in a brand new hall, by what I could see from the outside. They've put in double glazed windows, all fixtures and fittings are brand new, all kitchens are brand new. You'll also have the Falkner-Eggington committee, who are well known for giving their residents a damn good time. The location is pretty decent as well. You're 2 minutes from the Engineering departments and lecture halls, less than a minute from the library, about 5 minutes from the main lecture halls and 5 minutes from the union. The only thing that might bother you is the distance to the town centre and the supermarkets. You'll probably need to catch the Sprint bus for a big shop.
    Village Court used to be Elvyn Richards before it moved to the new halls opposite and believe me, they have done wonders to make it look so nice!
    Great thanks, really appreciate that! Is it still a fun place to be if you dont want to party all the time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazah)
    Great thanks, really appreciate that! Is it still a fun place to be if you dont want to party all the time?
    So I've heard. I've not lived there myself, but I know a few people that were in Falk-Egg or Village Court last year. Falk-Egg has prided itself on the ethos of 'Our halls are crap, but we make it awesome!' and now they've moved into nicer halls, it'll probably be even better. And I think VC has it's own common room this year as well. Last year, the hall was split into 3 had to share with Faraday, Royce and Elvyn.

ReputationRep:
    Does everybody have to pay a room bond? what happens if you dont pay it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazah)
    Does everybody have to pay a room bond? what happens if you dont pay it?
    In the online halls induction thing it said that you can't get your room key unless you've paid the room bond, but I don't know whether that's completely true or if it's just to get people to pay it on time. I think everyone has to pay it, though, since it's a deposit.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 22, 2014

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.