Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Village Whisper)
    In the online halls induction thing it said that you can't get your room key unless you've paid the room bond, but I don't know whether that's completely true or if it's just to get people to pay it on time. I think everyone has to pay it, though, since it's a deposit.
    The room bond is the most important thing you have to pay before arriving! Imagine you're about to rent a house somewhere and you haven't paid the deposit, it's very similar. It cements your place in halls and acts as your damage deposit that you get back at the end of the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenickoftime)
    The room bond is the most important thing you have to pay before arriving! Imagine you're about to rent a house somewhere and you haven't paid the deposit, it's very similar. It cements your place in halls and acts as your damage deposit that you get back at the end of the year.
    Oh I know that! I paid mine over a month ago; there's no way I personally would turn up without having paid it. He just asked what would happen if you didn't pay it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I know that! I paid mine over a month ago; there's no way I personally would turn up without having paid it. He just asked what would happen if you didn't pay it.
    They wouldn't give you your key. They might not even have a room for you, since not paying the room bond on time supposedly forfeits your offer of accommodation.

A couple of years ago I turned up having paid the room bond but without having done the halls induction thing online (it was my second year, I kind of assumed you only had to do it once but it's every year you're in halls). They wouldn't give me my key until I'd completed it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming we're just directed to our halls upon arrival, and then given our keys once we get there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pn94)
    I'm assuming we're just directed to our halls upon arrival, and then given our keys once we get there?
    Yep, pretty much :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Yep, pretty much :yes:
    Are we meant to receive anything once we've paid the room bond/registered? Haven't been sent anything by my hall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pn94)
    Are we meant to receive anything once we've paid the room bond/registered? Haven't been sent anything by my hall.
    I don't know if you'll get anything from your hall but I imagine there will be arrival instructions from the accommodation centre at some point before long.

ReputationRep:
    Yay, more Harry French people Do you have the standard or 4ft bed room?
    This is a little late but ooh are you going to be in Harry French too? ^.^ And I've got a standard room

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockchickm)
    This is a little late but ooh are you going to be in Harry French too? ^.^ And I've got a standard room
    Haha yes I am I have a standard room too, so we might be living together! Probably not, but still. Have you booked your arrival time yet?

ReputationRep:
    What comes in the rooms as standard for the newer more modern halls, e.g lamps, chairs etc.? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SM94)
    What comes in the rooms as standard for the newer more modern halls, e.g lamps, chairs etc.? thanks
    See the first post in this thread

ReputationRep:
    Haha yes I am I have a standard room too, so we might be living together! Probably not, but still. Have you booked your arrival time yet?
    Haha maybe :P I booked 9-10am which looking back is kind of early but I just wanted to get it over and done with, what about you?

ReputationRep:
    Haha maybe :P I booked 9-10am which looking back is kind of early but I just wanted to get it over and done with, what about you?
    I think you can still change it if you want, but I guess it depends on where you're coming from and stuff. I've gone for 11-12. I don't want to be the first there because I'd be really nervous by the time the next person arrived, but I don't want to be the last one either...So I went for somewhere in the middle It'd be good to have a couple of other people there first, I think. Then again, I might still be the first...Oh well!

Are you getting a Platinum/Extra card by the way? I still can't decide.

ReputationRep:
    The accommodation services are so slow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    See the first post in this thread
    Can't believe I missed that haha, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Can you cancel an accommodation contract online?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    Can you cancel an accommodation contract online?
    Can't remember offhand if there's an option and the accommodation login page doesn't want to load for me at the moment :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    You'll be in lodges then! They are the best place to be of all the halls. You'll have a washing machine in your kitchen, a bath in one of your 2 bathrooms and a really really nice courtyard surrounded by trees and Victorian Villas.

Also, if you're in Cedar, it'll be even better. I was in room 8 last year.

ReputationRep:
    What are the room bonds and freshers fee for? Is it compulsory and can you pay it when you get there or does it have to be prior?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazah)
    What are the room bonds and freshers fee for? Is it compulsory and can you pay it when you get there or does it have to be prior?
    Room Bond: Compulsory, basically a deposit for your room. Needs to be paid ASAP once your place is confirmed. I think you get this back at the end of the year, as long as it isn't needed to cover any damages.

Hall Subs: Pays for Hall activities throughout the year, such as IMS practice. Afaik, this is also compulsory.

Fresher's Fee: Optional, but required to take part in your hall's fresher's week activities, so I think it's advised to get it.

Seems to work out quite expensive overall, but I guess it's kinda necessary... I've already paid my RB, and my HS&FF come to £120.. Freshers is already expensive and I've not even got there yet.. =/

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.