Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockchickm)
    Ooh what does it look like? Gah I think I might go shopping tomorrow for one and see if there are any nice dresses around. Dw I reckon there'll be quite a lot of people without it.

So I don't know if you've told me already but what course are you doing?
    It's kind of a black lace short sleeve skater-style dress with a see-through lacey top/back bit. It arrived this morning and I think I'll keep it, but I might take it in a bit at the top. But yeah, you should go have a look, dress shopping's fun

I'm doing Fine Art, what about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockchickm)
    That actually sounds brilliant! Aha it was actually your post on Harry French a couple of months back that pushed me to pick it, you made it sounds great :P What're the freshers like in Harry French btw?
    Pretty damn awesome. The common room is huge and has a pretty decent sound system, so it's like a rave when pre-drinks are on! You can literally talk to anyone without hesitation as well. Just get used to Strongbow and godawful punch. You'll probably see me during freshers' week from the Sunday (returner's move-in date) - I'm pretty distinctive looking: big hair and thick-rimmed glasses.

http://harryfrenchhall.co.uk/wp-cont...HERS201222.jpg has all the events and fancy dress info

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenickoftime)
    Pretty damn awesome. The common room is huge and has a pretty decent sound system, so it's like a rave when pre-drinks are on! You can literally talk to anyone without hesitation as well. Just get used to Strongbow and godawful punch. You'll probably see me during freshers' week from the Sunday (returner's move-in date) - I'm pretty distinctive looking: big hair and thick-rimmed glasses.

http://harryfrenchhall.co.uk/wp-cont...HERS201222.jpg has all the events and fancy dress info
    Speaking from experience: Harry French punch is lethal...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    Why/how??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Village Whisper)
    Why/how??
    Luck of the draw really. The committee usually refill it in the following order: bottle of vodka, carton of juice, bottle of archers, bottle of lemonade and so on... Most of the time you'll get some just after the vodka.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    I can second this also!

ReputationRep:

Yeah its a great common room - good memories of that place! Will also be there from Sunday 30th looking forward to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dudleyian)
    Yeah its a great common room - good memories of that place! Will also be there from Sunday 30th looking forward to it!
    Awesome. Where are you hoping to be? I've put West Grove down. Really hope I'm there!

ReputationRep:
    Is it too late at this stage to try and move into a different hall? I'd like to try and swap to self-catered, think I'll phone up on Monday and give it a try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pn94)
    Is it too late at this stage to try and move into a different hall? I'd like to try and swap to self-catered, think I'll phone up on Monday and give it a try.
    There will probably be self-catered rooms available, just don't expect much choice over which hall. At an educated guess, The Holt and possibly Telford, Butler Court, and/or Harry French will have spaces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    There will probably be self-catered rooms available, just don't expect much choice over which hall. At an educated guess, The Holt and possibly Telford, Butler Court, and/or Harry French will have spaces.
    Ok, cheers for the heads up

ReputationRep:
    Hey All, I'm in Royce hall and paid 71pounds for 'Royce - Freshers in Halls'. Is this the 'hall subs'?

Thanks.

EDIT: It's now been clarified

ReputationRep:
    Awesome. Where are you hoping to be? I've put West Grove down. Really hope I'm there!
    Hoping to be anywhere on the blocks side as I preferred it there - was on the lodges side in first year and blocks side 2nd year. Courtyard or West Grove would be awesome!

Won't find out until the day I suppose

Are you planning on joining in any of the freshers stuff when you arrive? I'm thinking Returners FND on the Friday after for sure but not sure what else I will join in with!

ReputationRep:
    Are we allowed posters on the walls if we're careful not to mark them?

ReputationRep:
    Are we allowed posters on the walls if we're careful not to mark them?
    I can't find anything that explicitly says it's not allowed. Provided you don't mark the walls you should be fine; you won't exactly be the only person with posters up, anyway

ReputationRep:
    I can't find anything that explicitly says it's not allowed. Provided you don't mark the walls you should be fine; you won't exactly be the only person with posters up, anyway
    I'm sure I won't be Is there a particular type of non-marking sticky stuff that works best? I have white tack somewhere, maybe that'd work.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure I won't be Is there a particular type of non-marking sticky stuff that works best? I have white tack somewhere, maybe that'd work.
    Probably that :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks, I might do some experimenting at home first

ReputationRep:
    This is good to know :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dudleyian)
    Hoping to be anywhere on the blocks side as I preferred it there - was on the lodges side in first year and blocks side 2nd year. Courtyard or West Grove would be awesome!

Won't find out until the day I suppose

Are you planning on joining in any of the freshers stuff when you arrive? I'm thinking Returners FND on the Friday after for sure but not sure what else I will join in with!
    I'm planning on joining in with everything! I applied to be a fresher helper but didn't get it. Didn't really make the most of last year's so embracing this year's as much as I can!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.