Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloflorence)
    I'm not really fussed on budget, as long as it has an en-suit I'll be fine! 4ft beds would be a huge bonus :-)
    En-suites are overrated. You'll be better off financially having a shared bathroom. Shared bathrooms are cleaned weekly as well, unlike en-suites. So if you're worried about flatmates being messy in the toilet, 9 times out of 10 you won't have any worries. Last year I was in a flat of 8 guys with 2 toilets and never ever had any issues - even after a hefty night out. Would recommend getting a room with a basin though. And yes, 4ft beds are lovely!

One thing I would say though is that one of the fully en-suite halls is being dropped as an official hall this year (The Holt) so you won't get as good a freshers' week if you're there and it might be more competitive for that type of room. Hideously expensive to be there anyway. It costs less to have a Studio Flat in HF or Bill-Mo!

Someone said about how far halls are to lecture theatres: none of the halls are further than a 15-minute bike ride or a 25-minute walk to lectures apart from maybe The Holt to the Civil Eng building. There's a free shuttle bus every 5 minutes between the Union and Engineering/Holywell Park so that cuts the 25-minute walk down to about 15.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenickoftime)
    En-suites are overrated. You'll be better off financially having a shared bathroom. Shared bathrooms are cleaned weekly as well, unlike en-suites. So if you're worried about flatmates being messy in the toilet, 9 times out of 10 you won't have any worries. Last year I was in a flat of 8 guys with 2 toilets and never ever had any issues - even after a hefty night out. Would recommend getting a room with a basin though. And yes, 4ft beds are lovely!

One thing I would say though is that one of the fully en-suite halls is being dropped as an official hall this year (The Holt) so you won't get as good a freshers' week if you're there and it might be more competitive for that type of room. Hideously expensive to be there anyway. It costs less to have a Studio Flat in HF or Bill-Mo!

Someone said about how far halls are to lecture theatres: none of the halls are further than a 15-minute bike ride or a 25-minute walk to lectures apart from maybe The Holt to the Civil Eng building. There's a free shuttle bus every 5 minutes between the Union and Engineering/Holywell Park so that cuts the 25-minute walk down to about 15.
    Nah, that's about 25 minutes :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I just got my placement. I will be a post grad in Harry French. If anyone has lived there or be in there care to describe it for me? lol I looked at some of the pics but I want to know from those who have actually been there lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nmanda)
    I just got my placement. I will be a post grad in Harry French. If anyone has lived there or be in there care to describe it for me? lol I looked at some of the pics but I want to know from those who have actually been there lol
    I currently live in Harry French, but I'm an undergraduate, so the accommodation is a little different. Postgrads tend to be situated in either of the three Victorian Villas on the South side of Ashby Road, which are mainly 2-bedroom flats and self-contained 1-bedroom flats. You'll get to know the people in your building during freshers' week. Some postgrads are in East Grove on the north side of Ashby Road, a former hospital where the hall office and the warden lives, so is quite quiet and has similar living arrangements to the Villas.

It's the prettiest of any of the halls in Loughborough, with the most green space and lots of protected trees around the site, plus a few barbecue areas for a summer's day. Lots of car parking as well, which is a bonus. It's the closest hall to town (including Sainsbury's supermarket) and 2nd closest to the union. Lecture theatres are about a 10-15 minute walk away (25 minutes for the engineering lecture theatres). The hall committee also have a Postgrad/Affiliates/Returners Representative to help integrate these people into hall life with the freshers and the warden, Binoy, also puts on a Wine and Cheese night for Postgrads and Returners.

ReputationRep:
    Looking to come to lboro, which accommodations are gd and are there any to avoid

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T995)
    Looking to come to lboro, which accommodations are gd and are there any to avoid

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Entirely depends on what you're after, tbh...

Budget/Ensuite?/Catered?/Size/Location etc are all things that you should consider, and while everyone has their own biases, you're unlikely to get a neutral opinion unless you divulge some more info about what you're after..

ReputationRep:
    So far haven't looked around any of the sites as had to catch a train on the open day, but will do when I have the post offer open day. Erm at the moment I'm looking at ensuite and non catered.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T995)
    So far haven't looked around any of the sites as had to catch a train on the open day, but will do when I have the post offer open day. Erm at the moment I'm looking at ensuite and non catered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hazlerigg-Rutland, Robert Bakewell, William Morris and Butler Court are what you'll want then. Or any of the private halls like The Cube, The Holt or Waterways, although I wouldn't recommend them. Just a warning though: this is the most in-demand type of accommodation, so apply early!

ReputationRep:

Was wondering if anyone knew what an international student should do when it comes to storing stuff during the summer holidays.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys!

I was thinking of choosing Elvyn Richards! Because I need catered (cant cook to save my life) and would prefer having ensuit. Is there any bad points to Elvyn Richards I should know? Or has anyone lived there and able to fill me in on what its like.

It was the only accomodation they showed us on my Chemistry UCAS visit day and I really liked the look of it!

Any feedback is much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    any opinions on which accommodation is best?

I'd prefer self catering, preferably en suite, goood atmosphere + social life, walkable distance to lectures at james francis, and I'm an athlete not too far from the gym/track....

if there's any that fit all that haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LMi)
    any opinions on which accommodation is best?

I'd prefer self catering, preferably en suite, goood atmosphere + social life, walkable distance to lectures at james francis, and I'm an athlete not too far from the gym/track....

if there's any that fit all that haha
    William Morris (Bill Mo), Hazelrigg Rutland (Rigg Rut) or Robert Bakewell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    William Morris (Bill Mo), Hazelrigg Rutland (Rigg Rut) or Robert Bakewell
    ahh thanks, yeah I like the look of those ones was just wondering if there's any disadvantages of living off campus though for Bill Mo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LMi)
    ahh thanks, yeah I like the look of those ones was just wondering if there's any disadvantages of living off campus though for Bill Mo
    It's only just off campus (basically just over the road from the union). I've never lived there so can't really comment on what it's like though I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LMi)
    Not really no

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I have just received a conditional offer from Loughborough and was wondering if it is possible to have your own kitchen in halls?

I am a vegetarian and it is highly unlikely that I would be sharing a kitchen with JUST vegetarians (sorry I'm a bit fussy).

Ideally I am happy with sharing a kitchen with another 2/3 people max and only if they are veggies too.

IS THIS POSSIBLE?!

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSJ)
    Hi there,

I have just received a conditional offer from Loughborough and was wondering if it is possible to have your own kitchen in halls?

I am a vegetarian and it is highly unlikely that I would be sharing a kitchen with JUST vegetarians (sorry I'm a bit fussy).

Ideally I am happy with sharing a kitchen with another 2/3 people max and only if they are veggies too.

IS THIS POSSIBLE?!

Thanks in advance

Unless you decide to go for a studio flat (which are VERY expensive in comparison to other flats, as well as only having very limited numbers available), then no - it won't be possible.

If you decide to go catered instead, you'll still be sharing a kitchen, but it will rarely be used for cooking and instead you'll eat in a dining hall (vegetarian options are of course available).

If you really want self-catered, is it really that big of a deal? At the end of the day, you're going to be a student, so will have to make some sacrifices to save money. If that means putting up with meat-eaters in the kitchen, then so be it..

For the record, I live in self-catered (Rigg-Rut), and of the 6 of us in my flat, only 1 is a vegetarian. She has no problems whatsoever with the rest of us eating meat, and it's not as if we're going to 'contaminate' her food anyway...

ReputationRep:
    ive just got an offer for economics at loughbrough, does anyone know when i can start applying for accomadation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by footballman1)
    ive just got an offer for economics at loughbrough, does anyone know when i can start applying for accomadation?
    It'll be around May. Some way off yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matty12345)
    Hey Guys!

I was thinking of choosing Elvyn Richards! Because I need catered (cant cook to save my life) and would prefer having ensuit. Is there any bad points to Elvyn Richards I should know? Or has anyone lived there and able to fill me in on what its like.

It was the only accomodation they showed us on my Chemistry UCAS visit day and I really liked the look of it!

Any feedback is much appreciated!

I can't cook to save my life either, and I've been living in self-catered (Rigg-Rut) for the past 5 months haha

Couple things to bear in mind regarding catered accomodation (that I've picked up from friends who are in it):
    - You won't get cooked for on weekends.
    - You're pre-paying for all your meals, regardless of whether you have them or not. One of the people I'll be living with next year is a hockey player (and in Elvyn, doing Chemistry funnily enough...) and she misses an awful lot of meals because she can't go during the time-slots...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.