The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Rachel_Leah
After months of deliberating, lol, I think I'm going to try and get a BillMo ensuite, failing that either a standard or attempting to get an Elvyn room. Failing both of those, Bakewell or RiggRut. And failing THEM, telford! Let's hope things go relatively to plan... :smile:

Me too :biggrin:!
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 141
No one has emails yet to apply right? How do we even apply?
Also how many choices do we get?
Original post by gibob
No one has emails yet to apply right?

Nope.

How do we even apply?

It will all be explained in the email you haven't got yet.

Also how many choices do we get?

You are given a list of all available accomodation types, you just choose the one you want from the room types available.
Hey!
Could anyone, please tell more about Telford, Harry French, Butler Court and Falkner Eggington halls?
Planning to take standard room.
Are they in a good location, how many people share bathroom, toilet, kitchen, are they in a good condition, are rooms joined in flats or only corridors, safety there, communities?
How far is Tesco? Do they deliver to rooms?
(edited 12 years ago)
Would anyone offer their opinions on Telford, Butler Court or Falkner? I'm not in a great financial position and I'm choosing standard. Walking isn't a problem, but Telford is ideal as it's closest to both the library and David Davies building. I'm not after a description of the people, just the facilities and whether there's anything that might be useful to know about?

One more thing- I'm learning how to play an instrument, but even with a mute it's fairly loud, is there anywhere I can go practice where I'm not likely to disturb my neighbour(s)?
Original post by mint treasure
Hey!
Could anyone, please tell more about Telford, Harry French and Falkner Eggington halls?
Planning to take standart room.
Are they in a good location, how many people share bathroom, toilet, kitchen, are they in a good condition, are rooms joined in flats or only corridors, safety there, communities?

The timing on that was really weird. Good luck on getting your room.

Hope you don't mind all the questions, but also how big are standard rooms in general?

Sorry, double post.
Original post by Say My Name
Would anyone offer their opinions on Telford, Butler Court or Falkner? I'm not in a great financial position and I'm choosing standard. Walking isn't a problem, but Telford is ideal as it's closest to both the library and David Davies building. I'm not after a description of the people, just the facilities and whether there's anything that might be useful to know about?

One more thing- I'm learning how to play an instrument, but even with a mute it's fairly loud, is there anywhere I can go practice where I'm not likely to disturb my neighbour(s)?

Butler's a nice hall, I just find it a pain having to share a room really. I know loads of people that love it and are moving back in next year (I think about half the committee is). If you're looking at learning an instrument the music rooms are right next to Butler (literally the next closest building). The rooms are a decent size even for two people (I envy the people with a single in Butler, must have loads of space!). Shared rooms get an en-suite, which is a decent size as well. Kitchen's an okay size, bit difficult to have two people using the hobs at the same time but it's workable.
Original post by mint treasure
Hey!
Could anyone, please tell more about Telford, Harry French, Butler Court and Falkner Eggington halls?
Planning to take standart room.

See above for brief view on Butler.

I've got a friend from school in Harry French. He seems to like it. Generally 6 to a flat with two toilets and a shower room - AFAIK the standard rooms all have sinks in as well. Tesco from Harry French is probably about a 15 minute walk (if you go to the one by Sainsbury's) or there's a slightly bigger one about 20-25 minutes away past the college.

I seem to remember trying to order a Tesco delivery to Butler Court at the start of the first term but they wouldn't deliver - but I've seen Tesco delivery vans on campus so that may have changed (or they might deliver to some of the other halls and not Butler).
Original post by Wednesday Bass
Butler's a nice hall, I just find it a pain having to share a room really. I know loads of people that love it and are moving back in next year (I think about half the committee is). If you're looking at learning an instrument the music rooms are right next to Butler (literally the next closest building). The rooms are a decent size even for two people (I envy the people with a single in Butler, must have loads of space!). Shared rooms get an en-suite, which is a decent size as well. Kitchen's an okay size, bit difficult to have two people using the hobs at the same time but it's workable.

I've got a friend from school in Harry French. He seems to like it. Generally 6 to a flat with two toilets and a shower room - AFAIK the standard rooms all have sinks in as well. Tesco from Harry French is probably about a 15 minute walk (if you go to the one by Sainsbury's) or there's a slightly bigger one about 20-25 minutes away past the college.

I seem to remember trying to order a Tesco delivery to Butler Court at the start of the first term but they wouldn't deliver - but I've seen Tesco delivery vans on campus so that may have changed (or they might deliver to some of the other halls and not Butler).

The other day I saw someone have a delivery brought to the front door of their building! I think it was ASDA or something.
Original post by Wednesday Bass

Awesome, thanks mate, just need to find someone from Telford to give their opinion now and I'll be set. The main website has virtual tours of the rooms, but it simply crashes my browser each time I try and load the page (anyone else had a similar problem, everything is upto date and I've tried on Chrome & IE9).

Again thanks for that, I wasn't sure there were dedicated music rooms, plus I've just found there's tution available as well which is grand.

On a sidenote, is anyone here in any societies that they would recommend seeing at the Freshers Bazaar?
The main website has virtual tours of the rooms, but it simply crashes my browser each time I try and load the page (anyone else had a similar problem, everything is upto date and I've tried on Chrome & IE9).

Have you got the latest quicktime plugin update installed? It should open in a separate window when you click on the room type.

I have had trouble with it loading in the past though I have to say.
Original post by LittleBill
Have you got the latest quicktime plugin update installed? It should open in a separate window when you click on the room type.

I have had trouble with it loading in the past though I have to say.

I'm upto date, the window loads and I get a display for a few seconds before I get an error message appearing. It's not important, I just wanted to see how much space there was in rooms.
I'm upto date, the window loads and I get a display for a few seconds before I get an error message appearing. It's not important, I just wanted to see how much space there was in rooms.

The 360 degree pictures aren't ideal for that anyway as the perspective is a bit weird.

They're certainly big enough. :wink:
Reply 152
Just wanting to double check to see if anyone has got an email about accommodation yet? I just want to know when i can apply and if i have an exam on that day :s-smilie:
Original post by mollymoo
Just wanting to double check to see if anyone has got an email about accommodation yet? I just want to know when i can apply and if i have an exam on that day :s-smilie:

Don't think the email's been sent yet.

There are three days to apply, and each hall and room type is split into thirds, so if you can't do it on one day you've got two more days with an equal chance of getting what you want.
Reply 154
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Don't think the email's been sent yet.

There are three days to apply, and each hall and room type is split into thirds, so if you can't do it on one day you've got two more days with an equal chance of getting what you want.

Phew, thats good to know, thank you!
Reply 155
Just got my accommodation email!
Not got my email yet.

Thinking

BillMo
Bakewell
Elvyn

I've noticed the accommodation websites changed it has an application page now, can I apply now to make an account?
Reply 157
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Not got my email yet.

Thinking

BillMo
Bakewell
Elvyn

I've noticed the accommodation websites changed it has an application page now, can I apply now to make an account?

Try it, you need your UCAS number.
Reply 158
Hiya Im really stuck between three halls, William Morris, Hazlerigg-Rutland and Robert Bakewell. Anyone know which one is better? Thanks! :smile:
Original post by sophs92
Hiya Im really stuck between three halls, William Morris, Hazlerigg-Rutland and Robert Bakewell. Anyone know which one is better? Thanks! :smile:

Rigg Rut and Bakewell are pretty much identical in every way. Also they're two of the three most oversubscribed halls (the other is Elvyn) so be up early on accomodation application day. :wink:

Latest