Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baffledagaintoo)
    Thank you for all the replies everyone. Very helpful.

I have one last question though-how long does a personal statement have to be? Does length matter?
    Maximum of 4000 characters or 47 lines, as measured by the UCAs formatting when you put it into the form. Usually this line limit hits first, so around 3300-3500 characters including spaces is a good length to aim for. This will also allow you to include line breaks between paragraphs which is worthwhile for readability/structure.

ReputationRep:
    "Ever since I accidentally burnt holes in my pyjamas after experimenting with a chemistry set on my 8th Birthday, I have always had a passion for science."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schoolio93)
    "Ever since I accidentally burnt holes in my pyjamas after experimenting with a chemistry set on my 8th Birthday, I have always had a passion for science."
    Bin
    Next

ReputationRep:
    Don't start with when I was young....

I opened mine with a quote from a certain sociologist, I wasn't applying for sociology. I linked it in with my subject, and explained its relevance.
    It must have done something right, because I got 5 offers

ReputationRep:
    Your starting your PS early... it's only March.

ReputationRep:
    It much better to get to the point without waffling. If you were in a conversation and the other person asked you why you've picked this subject to study what would you say?

ReputationRep:
    DO NOT use "when I was young". I know people have already said it, but just don't. It's cringey and cliche and unoriginal. I think I started mine with a reference to Harley Davidsons...... and oddly enough it seemed to work
    In terms of length, it has to be a certain amount of characters which UCAS monitors. I think its like 3,000?
    Not long, and you'll have to redraft a few times anyway, so get someone to read it. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm writing my personal statement. Do personal statements have to go a long way back or can you start at any point you feel is relevant? Especially if your GCSE wasn't so hot?
    No, you can start off with...

'When I just a little fetus...'

That should do.

ReputationRep:
    Yes start off with "when I was young" then continue with "I was petrified".....

ReputationRep:
    i would love to read the OP's personal statement

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Thanks a lot everyone. I've done my personal statement. I forwarded it to a friend and she says it is fine.

I posted my PS in the "Ask assistant" section as suggested it might take up to a week for them to check it :eek:

ReputationRep:
    "In a former life.." ftw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    "In a former life.." ftw
    Lol.

I forgot to mention how I started. I started with "It was during my Business studies course in x college that my love and interest for Illustration and Animation was reignited as...."
    :/

ReputationRep:
    I started with an obscure quote from Cicero (I applied for Classics) and I think it worked quite well as it was actually relevant to both my character and my motivation to study. Clearly some admissions tutors like it as I got 4 offers from top unis (rejected from Oxford but they care far less about PS).

I think it is a little too far to categorically dismiss starting with a quote, just make sure it is original and actually applies to you as a person.

And yes, get lots of people to look over it, you will probably write several drafts before submitting your 'finished product'.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Gubey

(Original post by Est.)
    i would love to read the OP's personal statement
    Does the offer still stand?

ReputationRep:
    "It was during my Business studies course in x college that my love and interest for Illustration and Animation was reignited as"
    Really wouldn't start with that, not just from a presentational point of view but also because they're going to wonder where/when your interest was first 'ignited' and this isn't a Tarantino, a smooth chronology is fairly important to someone skipping through a large volume of PS's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Really wouldn't start with that, not just from a presentational point of view but also because they're going to wonder where/when your interest was first 'ignited' and this isn't a Tarantino, a smooth chronology is fairly important to someone skipping through a large volume of PS's
    After this I then go on to mention where my interest started from.

ReputationRep:
    Does the offer still stand?
    Don't send your PS to any random TSRer asking to read it until after you've applied and are sure you won't need to use it again. The PS Help forum is protected from the UCAS plagiarism checker and all our Helpers have been checked to confirm that they're actually at university and not applicants, to stop your PS being 'borrowed' by other users.

ReputationRep:
    After this I then go on to mention where my interest started from
    I'd be careful with staggered (retrospective) quasi-narratives, unless it's essentially a footnote or needs to feature later due to sectional divides

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Don't send your PS to any random TSRer asking to read it until after you've applied and are sure you won't need to use it again. The PS Help forum is protected from the UCAS plagiarism checker and all our Helpers have been checked to confirm that they're actually at university and not applicants, to stop your PS being 'borrowed' by other users.
    Yes, thank you. I'm just a bit desperate because the deadline is catching up to me. I posted my PS in the helpers section but i've been told it'll take about a week to get it checked.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.