Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    I'd be careful with staggered (retrospective) quasi-narratives, unless it's essentially a footnote or needs to feature later due to sectional divides

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baffledagaintoo)
    Phew lol. Thanks a lot for your advice Tommyjw. Starting with a quote sounds like a good way to get me going. Do you have one? Lol just joking
    PLEASE DO NOT START WITH A QUOTE. On so many occasions was I told by universities, my college and admissions staff that unless you have a quote that is relevant, you love and are ALREADY AWARE OF, you shouldn't use a quote. It's pretentious and just odd.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Thanks a lot everyone. I've done my personal statement. I forwarded it to a friend and she says it is fine.

I posted my PS in the "Ask assistant" section as suggested it might take up to a week for them to check it :eek:
    We're volunteering to help applicants like yourself and we do also have lives. As stated in the PS help guidelines, in the normal UCAS application period it will take us around 3 days to get back to you with a review and during this time we've got a turn over of around 1000 a month meaning right now we're taking a well earned holiday from applications. Unlike the rest of TSR, we do not work in a matter of minutes or hours. As has already been explained to you in your PS help thread, things are taking even longer at the moment as people have a lot of dissertation/coursework deadlines and are checking the forums less often because there aren't really any applications needing attention.

If you could update your PS help thread to actually explain your application status it would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    e.g. careful not to weave too complicated a chronological mish-mash of your journey to subject bummage or it'll be hard to follow

ReputationRep:
    Meh I think there are better ways to start than a quote - express yourself through your own words, not the words of others.

ReputationRep:
    I always think that plain English is best for personal statements - at least in your first draft, because you can always spruce up the language later if you think it's necessary.

Personally, I like this sort of beginning:

"During the course of my A-level studies I have carefully considered the different career pathways available to me and how the skills I have learned could be used most effectively. I have greatly enjoyed studying a/b/c in particular (because...), and so believe that a career in x/y/z would offer me the challenges and career fulfilment I am looking for"

Or some such...you know, just as the basis for a coherent, concise introduction to your PS. You can add in any other adjectives or adverbs that apply to you to show your enthusiasm...there's plenty of scope.

Good luck, I'm sure the final article will be great

ReputationRep:
    No, write what you want to write. Starting with the generic "I first became interested in becoming a paramedic when I saw a car crash," is probably a bad idea. The admissions tutor will have read it all before. Unless you have a genuinely different and interesting experience to relate to your chosen degree, then don't bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panthea)
    I always think that plain English is best for personal statements - at least in your first draft, because you can always spruce up the language later if you think it's necessary.

Personally, I like this sort of beginning:

"During the course of my A-level studies I have carefully considered the different career pathways available to me and how the skills I have learned could be used most effectively. I have greatly enjoyed studying a/b/c in particular (because...), and so believe that a career in x/y/z would offer me the challenges and career fulfilment I am looking for"

Or some such...you know, just as the basis for a coherent, concise introduction to your PS. You can add in any other adjectives or adverbs that apply to you to show your enthusiasm...there's plenty of scope.

Good luck, I'm sure the final article will be great
    Just avoid the word 'passion', or any other word derived from it, at all costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popat21)
    PLEASE DO NOT START WITH A QUOTE. On so many occasions was I told by universities, my college and admissions staff that unless you have a quote that is relevant, you love and are ALREADY AWARE OF, you shouldn't use a quote. It's pretentious and just odd.
    Wow that was terrible.

You were told 'not' to use a quote.
    But to use one if it is relevant ?

Of course your going to use one that is relevant lol..

And no it is not 'just odd' , head of faculty at Warwick says otherwise

ReputationRep:
    I think I started mine by talking about current research in the field I was interested in.
    We were told to really avoided phrases like "since I can remember" and "since I was young" and "I've always wanted to...."

ReputationRep:
    They don't have to because not everyone knows what they want to study at university when they are 'young'. Even if they did, how would that make you a better applicant? Someone may have better skills and qualifications for the course, the fact that they've wanted to do it longer doesn't really mean much. As for quotes, they really don't mean anything, as it doesn't say anything about you and just waste valuable space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Wow that was terrible.

You were told 'not' to use a quote.
    But to use one if it is relevant ?

Of course your going to use one that is relevant lol..

And no it is not 'just odd' , head of faculty at Warwick says otherwise
    Ok, my first answer wasn't worded very well. What I meant to say was: Don't seek out a quote just because you think it'd be good to have one in your PS. If there's a quote that you know, like and is relevant then feel free to use it. However, it can come off as a tad pretentious.

Personally, no quote can describe the love I have for my subject. Only I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashim91)
    As for quotes, they really don't mean anything, as it doesn't say anything about you and just waste valuable space.
    Wrong, quotes are a way of relating to a specific subject, showing you have an interest in 'popular or important' people in the area your going into, and if you reference to it well enough it can show a great amount of how much of your own 'outside reading' about the subject you do, it is a great way to show you have read up a lot on a particular element of the degree, a particular person or a particular book.

(Original post by Popat21)
    Ok, my first answer wasn't worded very well. What I meant to say was: Don't seek out a quote just because you think it'd be good to have one in your PS. If there's a quote that you know, like and is relevant then feel free to use it. However, it can come off as a tad pretentious.

Personally, no quote can describe the love I have for my subject. Only I can.
    Quotes aren't meant to tell them 'oh ye i love this subject'. They are there, if used properly, for the reasons i've said above.

ReputationRep:
    How early do most people start their ps? My brother said its best to get it done before summer so it can be sent off straight away, but my college wont give me any advice until after exams

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm writing my personal statement. Do personal statements have to go a long way back or can you start at any point you feel is relevant? Especially if your GCSE wasn't so hot?
    there is no such rule. As long as you fulfil the personal statement objectives specified...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    A personal statement is about you. It isn't about Einstein, Plato, Aristotle, Wittgenstein or any of the other random people applicants enjoy quoting in their personal statement. I've seen hundreds and hundreds of them and I'm yet to see one starting with a quote which is actually any good and the quote was a useful use of characters. Aristotle is not applying for your place at university so the admissions tutors do not care what he happened to say about the law, they only care about what you think about law and why you want to study it at university.

Similarly, they also do not care as to whether you've loved law and been destined to study it at university since the age of five when you were "reading" the aforementioned Aristotle text. They couldn't care less if you'd decided to study it yesterday as long as you had a concrete argument about why you did want to study it. Its unrealistic that aged 5 you were even aware of what the law was, let alone that you planned to study it at university, so why try and pretend that it is the case?
    ...My interviewer liked my Aristotle quote

ReputationRep:
    People stress too much about personal statements, if you like your subject and you know why you want to study it you can write a pretty good one in half an hour.

Start with why you wan't to study the subject, have you read anything related to the subject that has caught your interest?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    my mama told me when i was young we are all born superstars :awesome:

no idea why that just poppedi nto my head. but to answer, no they don't.

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm writing my personal statement. Do personal statements have to go a long way back or can you start at any point you feel is relevant? Especially if your GCSE wasn't so hot?
    Jesus Christ.

ReputationRep:
    Lol.

I forgot to mention how I started. I started with "It was during my Business studies course in x college that my love and interest for Illustration and Animation was reignited as...."
    :/
    If you're doing Illustration it'll have a few different things in the content than normal personal statements, as with all other design statements

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2011
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.