Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i think this is getting out of hand!
    ive applied to about 15 jobs for my placement and ive got 7 rejections so far.
    could it be because i havent got a national insurance number yet?
    apparently marks and spencers do not recruit anyone with out it and they rejected me so ...

ReputationRep:
    A NI# is pretty essential to start work

ReputationRep:
    How would they know that you don't have an NI?
    And don't you get an NI automatically when your 16?

Placements are also hard to get. Lots of students do actually want to do work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    apparently marks and spencers do not recruit anyone with out it and they rejected me so ...
    you have to have NI number to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ferrus)
    A NI# is pretty essential to start work
    i know but.... im an eu student and i havent got one yet.
    it isnt a required field when you fill in the form

--------------

(Original post by walshie)
    How would they know that you don't have an NI?
    And don't you get an NI automatically when your 16?

Placements are also hard to get. Lots of students do actually want to do work!
    theres a field where your supposed to put it in and i left it blank cos i havent got one yet.
    i know its not easy to get placements but ive applied early and done everything, im predicted at least a first for my degree.....
    im an eu student so i dont get one just like that do i ? i have to apply for one dont i?

--------------

(Original post by ruthiepooos)
    you have to have NI number to be fair.
    yea but i havent got one yet.....
    they dont know that or anything really, i jus havent filled in the box where it says put it.
    its not a required field either.
    they always ask if you have a right to work in the uk and i always tick yes

ReputationRep:
    Are all your placement choices via UOH? otherwise try looking in any UOL categories, especially if you feel as though your going to get a 1st.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    Are all your placement choices via UOH? otherwise try looking in any UOL categories, especially if you feel as though your going to get a 1st.
    how do i do that?

ReputationRep:
    Don't be put down by it hon.. Placements are EXTREMELY hard to find!! I mean, I had to apply to SOOOOO many companies before I got my placement.. Some have the courtesy to reply and say you rejected, while some others dont get back to you and are not bothered :mad:... Just keep trying and keep at it even till the very last minute... I had a mate who kept applying till uni resumed in september and he actually still got a job ; and this has happened quite a few times...
    Just keep at it :p:

EDIT - Just referring to one of your statements above; I started applying earlier than anyone else during my time and I only ended up getting a job in April 2005 (i started applying Sept 2004); My grades from first year were excellent and I was in- line for a first but some companies still rejected me anyway :mad:... some dont go by results at all.. Infact most go by other things like your dedication and stuff and then if you have good grades, thats a plus for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dimexi)
    Don't be put down by it hon.. Placements are EXTREMELY hard to find!! I mean, I had to apply to SOOOOO many companies before I got my placement.. Some have the courtesy to reply and say you rejected, while some others dont get back to you and are not bothered :mad:... Just keep trying and keep at it even till the very last minute... I had a mate who kept applying till uni resumed in september and he actually still got a job ; and this has happened quite a few times...
    Just keep at it :p:

EDIT - Just referring to one of your statements above; I started applying earlier than anyone else during my time and I only ended up getting a job in April 2005 (i started applying Sept 2004); My grades from first year were excellent and I was in- line for a first but some companies still rejected me anyway :mad:... some dont go by results at all.. Infact most go by other things like your dedication and stuff and then if you have good grades, thats a plus for them
    i guess, ive also got good IT skills, ive got 5 languages etc and ive travelled etc etc...
    i guess ill jus have to be patient!

ReputationRep:
    i guess, ive also got good IT skills, ive got 5 languages etc and ive travelled etc etc...
    i guess ill jus have to be patient!
    I wish you luck too .. hope you added all your extra skills on any application forms you have filled in hehe :p: always make yourself sound interesting

ReputationRep:
    If you include interviews I didn't get I have been rejected for about 40 jobs since July including some very basic ones.

ReputationRep:
    I wish you luck too .. hope you added all your extra skills on any application forms you have filled in hehe :p: always make yourself sound interesting
    i try! :rolleyes:
    how else can i do that! :p:

--------------

(Original post by AT82)
    If you include interviews I didn't get I have been rejected for about 40 jobs since July including some very basic ones.
    eek! i guess ive got loads more rejections waiting for me then!

ReputationRep:
    You can apply for an NI number at your local job centre or benefits office. You have a little interview where you have to bring your passport etc and they ask you a few non intrusive questions. I did it years ago when I was 17 (EU student too) so I don't remember much about it but I know it wasn't too traumatic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarts_n_Vicars)
    You can apply for an NI number at your local job centre or benefits office. You have a little interview where you have to bring your passport etc and they ask you a few non intrusive questions. I did it years ago when I was 17 (EU student too) so I don't remember much about it but I know it wasn't too traumatic!
    thanx that doesnt sound too hard!
    problem is where to find this place in hatfield :confused:

ReputationRep:
    thanx that doesnt sound too hard!
    problem is where to find this place in hatfield :confused:
    I've heard rumours about a job centre being in hatfield but im not too sure about that :s:.. do a google search on job centres in hatfield and see what you find... p.s. or st.albans and WGC

ReputationRep:
    I think the WGC one is closed for some reason there was a notice on the door a couple of weeks ago.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard rumours about a job centre being in hatfield but im not too sure about that :s:.. do a google search on job centres in hatfield and see what you find... p.s. or st.albans and WGC
    ill prob ask my placement office where i can go, or SSG
    will see on tuesday when i go into uni
    thank you!!

--------------

(Original post by Helix88)
    I think the WGC one is closed for some reason there was a notice on the door a couple of weeks ago.
    thats great!
    there should be one in st albans if not in hatfield? ah well i shall ask about

ReputationRep:
    wooohoo i got an interview :cool:

ReputationRep:
    wooohoo i got an interview :cool:
    yay!! well done .. good luck with it x

ReputationRep:
    at least u got acknowledgements..i didnt get anything when i gave me cv to ppl..

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.