Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    I'm planning to study in London this year, but am a bit worried about the reports of pollution in London. Is it really that bad? Is it hazy and full of smog regularly/occasionally?
    Has anybody you know developed health issues because of the pollution?

Also, how is the pollution compared to other parts of South London eg Southampton?
    :flower:

ReputationRep:
    iv visited london a few times and never had a problem with pollution.. never even noticed it in fact

ReputationRep:
    Um I live in London and never noticed it

ReputationRep:
    Where do you plan to study? If you're going to be at the Imperial campus at Kensington, then there are at least twenty parks within a five minute walking distance, including Hyde Park!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happy-pink-gecko)
    Hey!
    I'm planning to study in London this year, but am a bit worried about the reports of pollution in London. Is it really that bad? Is it hazy and full of smog regularly/occasionally?

Also, how is the pollution compared to other parts of South London eg Southampton?
    No there is no smog, we are not in the 18th century any more...

Also, Southampton is not in South London

ReputationRep:
    Other parts of South London eg. Southampton?!

Do you mean South England?

There is never smog in London but I think most people there have asthma.

ReputationRep:
    I've never really noticed it whenever I've visited.

My mate went to UCL for an open day and left the city after about an hour without visiting the university. His weak Scottish lungs couldn't cope with the air :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beanz123)
    No there is no smog, we are not in the 18th century any more...

Also, Southampton is not in South London
    oops
    I meant to type south england

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Where do you plan to study? If you're going to be at the Imperial campus at Kensington, then there are at least twenty parks within a five minute walking distance, including Hyde Park!
    King's College London, GUy's Campus

ReputationRep:
    i live in chelsea and theres no pollution. more greenery than anything, although alot of people now have supercars atound here and the problem mught be on the increase

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Hi,

I lived there for a good few years and worked in the City centre. You can notice some smog from afar in the summer months... However the pollution levels are no worse or better than other big cities. As for developing health problems... this is VERY unlikely unless you have a weakened respiratory system!

ReputationRep:
    The pollution is nothing compared to cities such as Mexico City, Beijing, Delhi, Milan etc.

ReputationRep:
    i for one have managed to notice a big difference of air quality in london, when compared to devon (when i went there on roadtrip during the christmas break)

but, hey, i've not turned into some kind of mutant as a result of living in london. *weird face twitch*

ReputationRep:
    Well lived here for years and not really noticed anything, apart from on a really hot day and you get that hazy dusty ness in blaring heat.

The underground is dirty but you shouldn't have any issues.

I do like a bit of clean country air though, mmm the freshness.

ReputationRep:
    The countryside is obviously better in terms of air pollution, however I go into London every day and I have never noticed any smog etc.

ReputationRep:
    Stuff
    Air quality isn't fantastic in central tbh (Guy's is almost as central as you can get!). You'll probably notice the air quality more if you don't live in the city, and if you tend to walk everywhere: personally I can say breathing in exhaust for 30mins walking down the Fulham Road to Imperial every day isn't particularly pleasant :K:. I imagine that's the same in any large city mind.

:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    There's definitely a sort of haze on warm days. Plus go for a run and you can feel the crap in the air when you breathe in.

ReputationRep:
    I live in London and have asthma, I've never had an attack in London or felt wheezy, in fact I don't really notice it.

ReputationRep:
    You only have to ride on the tube to realise how damn unhealthy the air is (understandable due to its age and constraints, though). There's a common stat that a typical single journey on the tube is the equivalent of smoking 4 cigarettes.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Do you like your lungs? If so, avoid London like the plague.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...llution-europe

I don't live in london personally, but the air quality there is pretty dire compared to a lot of other places. I see people jogging for exercise on pavement and I think to myself, why don't you just smoke cigarettes and that'll kill you faster?

2000th post! w00t.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.