Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, first thread.

I have got conditional offers from:
    KCL MA European Studies (with a final average of at least 80%);
    UCL MA Modern European Studies (at least 90%).

Both of them are in central London, so the location and social life will just be amazing. Also their tuition fees are exactly the same! And living costs should also make no differences. The intake is approximately 35 at KCL and 28 at UCL, which seems quite reasonable.

Then what really counts is my interests!!! I will focus on EU foreign and security policy. Afer the MA, I want to move on to a PhD in this field and finally get into research work in thinktanks, for my country (BTW I'm international) or international organisations. So the researching and academic things are very very important for me to make a decision.

You may find the course structure of KCL at http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/grad...header_search/ and that of UCL athttp://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...t/TMAEURSMES01. The options at UCL seem to be some kind of confusing to me, though.:confused: I am not sure what courses will be available.

Which college do you think is better to pick up, especially regarding my area of interests? Or for those who were previously/are now on one of these programmes, how was/is your experience?

Any suggestion/advice/information will be appreciated!!! THX

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I got accepted to both of these programs also, and for me, it comes down to the price. They are both UL schools and so have access to similar facilities, they are both in central and they both have fantastic reputation.

Even though UCL is ranked as 4th in the world, you'll still get stellar teaching at KCL (21st in the world) and it's £3000 cheaper. I went to UCL for part of my UG degree and loved it.

Basically it is cost vs. international reputation (rankings).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demodonk08)
    I got accepted to both of these programs also, and for me, it comes down to the price. They are both UL schools and so have access to similar facilities, they are both in central and they both have fantastic reputation.

Even though UCL is ranked as 4th in the world, you'll still get stellar teaching at KCL (21st in the world) and it's £3000 cheaper. I went to UCL for part of my UG degree and loved it.

Basically it is cost vs. international reputation (rankings).
    THX! For me fees are exactly the same in both of them. So maybe I should cosider their overall reputation? Then UCL wins haha.

Have you decided where to go?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I decided to go with KCL in the end because, having been to UCL in my undergraduate, I can already put it on my resume. I didn't think there was any harm in trying out a different school for post-grad, new department/faculty and a possibility to create some networks.
    Good luck with your studies. Hope it works out for you - UCL is unbelievable and if money is not a factor, I would probably recommend it over KCL.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

So i accepted my offer from King's and since you said you went to King's I was wondering if you could give me some inside info? e.g. what accommodation would you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    Although both are located in central London, UCL is in the heart of Bloomsbury, surrounded by the UoL central lib, SAS, London, the British Lib, and the British Musuem. In which case, UCL prevails.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tulle)
    Hey,

So i accepted my offer from King's and since you said you went to King's I was wondering if you could give me some inside info? e.g. what accommodation would you recommend?
    I didn't go to King's.

For accommodation, SSA (en-suite) is the nearest (5-10 min on walk) to Strand Campus where you will have classes. But chances are slim, especially if you are not international. GDSA (en-suite) and Wolfson (single) are located near London Bridge Station. The Rectory (single) accommodates no more than 30 PGs and mature UGs, so I guess it would not be the most social one. If you prefer a bigger single room and not mind taking tube (30-40 minutes) to school, I would recommend Hampstead Residence which is very social and the cheapest among all. Just forget about KCH (catered and very far) and BCH (only for UGs).

The intercollegiate halls are catered single rooms. Most of them are in Bloomsbury area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demodonk08)
    Yeah I decided to go with KCL in the end because, having been to UCL in my undergraduate, I can already put it on my resume. I didn't think there was any harm in trying out a different school for post-grad, new department/faculty and a possibility to create some networks.
    Good luck with your studies. Hope it works out for you - UCL is unbelievable and if money is not a factor, I would probably recommend it over KCL.

Today I tried to argue the conditions with UCL, which require me to get an overall average of 90!!! They said that they would not lower the conditions. So I'm going to King's, which seems to be better at external EU matters and takes the qualitative non-mathy approach to social sciences typically found in Europe. I guess that King's suits my interests better.

See you in Sept at King's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZYY)
    Today I tried to argue the conditions with UCL, which require me to get an overall average of 90!!! They said that they would not lower the conditions. So I'm going to King's, which seems to be better at external EU matters and takes the qualitative non-mathy approach to social sciences typically found in Europe. I guess that King's suits my interests better.

See you in Sept at King's
    So I'll open a group on facebook. Maybe it will come in handy. Anyone that firmed KCL European Studies offer is welcome to join.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tulle)
    So I'll open a group on facebook. Maybe it will come in handy. Anyone that firmed KCL European Studies offer is welcome to join.
    I have problems in opening facebook website in my country......but I'll be part of u guys on facebook once I arrive in London in Sept

ps Do u have MSN?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.