Turn on thread page Beta

How can you tell the difference between regular flirting, and when a guy likes you? watch

ReputationRep:
    Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    There isn't.

ReputationRep:
    She would first require to know you, or otherwise, it`s an emotional response to the notion of liking you. There`s more to it, obviously, but this is the discussion. Girls flirt with me a lot, and one of my biggest concerns is to whether they`d still be flirting should they know me through and through. I feel I have nothing to hide, but in being interested only in perfection of relationships, there is always this concern for any possible imperfection. Girl`s shouldn`t be held to account on this one further than their feeling that they like a guy, for that`s all it actually is.
    Whoopse, I`ve switched the sexes, no matter, it`s exactly the same reversed!

ReputationRep:
    I can't. Guys are so confusing...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    there isnt??? Dont think ive ever flirted with a girl i wasnt intrested in, in some way....lol

ReputationRep:
    Arghh, it's so annoying haha! I really like this guy, and he's always flirting with me, but I'm not sure if he's a flirt or if he likes me for me. One girl told me that she thought we were actually together, and another told me that 'you have a bit of a connection u can feel it in the air'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Behaving)
    Arghh, it's so annoying haha! I really like this guy, and he's always flirting with me, but I'm not sure if he's a flirt or if he likes me for me. One girl told me that she thought we were actually together, and another told me that 'you have a bit of a connection u can feel it in the air'.
    If it's only you who he's like that with then there's a good chance he likes you, if he's like with lots of girls then he might just be a flirty person.

ReputationRep:
    It's soooo confusing, and even when they tell you they like you, your not sure how much and how to play it :/

www.iwouldrathereatchocolate.blogspot.com

ReputationRep:
    If a guy flirts with you, he likes you, at least a little bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clumsy_Chemist)
    If a guy flirts with you, he likes you, at least a little bit.
    This. He may not want to have a relationship with you, but guys don't flirt with girls they don't at least think are somewhat attractive.

ReputationRep:
    If he accidently ejaculates while talking to you... then you know he loves you for more than just your physicall features.

ReputationRep:
    Why would one flirt with someone they don't like?
    I thought that flirting by default is done when you like someone.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what "regular flirting" is in comparison to "flirting when you like someone," but hey ho. I'd say a good judge of whether someone "likes" you is if they're genuinely interested in you. So, for example, if you tell them about yourself, they're genuinely interested and ask questions, without trying to turn the topic back around to them.

ReputationRep:
    Discuss.
    Good thread. The truth is, there is no way to tell if flirting means 'he/she is sexually attracted to me' or 'he/she just likes me in a platonic manner'.

Here's the thing: flirting alone is NOT an indicator as to whether someone is sexually attracted to you.

That's why I'm not a bit fan of flirting. It can leave too much room for doubt about the other person's intentions.

The SOLUTION if you wish to find out the TRUTH as to whether the person you are talking to sees you in a sexual manner or merely a platonic manner is to be upfront and honest about YOUR intentions. By doing this, you force them to reveal THEIR intentions.

Whereas if you merely flirt and don't reveal your intentions, then the other person is not going to reveal their intentions, and then the two of you just end up confused about what you want from each other.

So just be honest with those you are attracted to and don't operate in the 'ambiguous zone'.

I wrote a thread about this subject some time ago >>> http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ghlight=honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neil_K)
    Good thread. The truth is, there is no way to tell if flirting means 'he/she is sexually attracted to me' or 'he/she just likes me in a platonic manner'.

Here's the thing: flirting alone is NOT an indicator as to whether someone is sexually attracted to you.

That's why I'm not a bit fan of flirting. It can leave too much room for doubt about the other person's intentions.

The SOLUTION if you wish to find out the TRUTH as to whether the person you are talking to sees you in a sexual manner or merely a platonic manner is to be upfront and honest about YOUR intentions. By doing this, you force them to reveal THEIR intentions.

Whereas if you merely flirt and don't reveal your intentions, then the other person is not going to reveal their intentions, and then the two of you just end up confused about what you want from each other.

So just be honest with those you are attracted to and don't operate in the 'ambiguous zone'.

I wrote a thread about this subject some time ago >>> http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ghlight=honest
    I wish I could tell him I really like him, but if he doesn't feel the same way then it's going to be embarrassing and awkward. We not only have uni together, but also are part of a youth enterprise projecct so we see a lot of each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    This. He may not want to have a relationship with you, but guys don't flirt with girls they don't at least think are somewhat attractive.
    Lies. I sometimes flirt with plain girls just to be nice, or to build up a connexion if I think they may be useful to know at some point.

Plus, of all the girls I am attracted to, I'd only consider getting into a relationship with a fairly small fraction of them.

ReputationRep:
    I think you have to look beyond it, if i like you i will try and see you more, get you on your own or whatever.

If i'm not interested i will flirt with you but i wont try and go past that, that being said i won't flirt with girls i find repulsive.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could tell him I really like him, but if he doesn't feel the same way then it's going to be embarrassing and awkward. We not only have uni together, but also are part of a youth enterprise projecct so we see a lot of each other.
    You're going to have to be upfront and honest with him about the fact that you fancy him, I'm afraid. There isn't really any other way.

Your problem is that you want to play it safe and let him know you like him without any risk and without any 'awkwardness' if he doesn't feel the same.

Reality check: there is no real way to avoid taking that risk.

Just let him know you like him and see if he feels the same. You have to take that risk. If he doesn't feel the same, so what? You move on, and get rid of those 'what ifs'. And if does, then it's happy days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neil_K)
    You're going to have to be upfront and honest with him about the fact that you fancy him, I'm afraid. There isn't really any other way.

Your problem is that you want to play it safe and let him know you like him without any risk and without any 'awkwardness' if he doesn't feel the same.

Reality check: there is no real way to avoid taking that risk.

Just let him know you like him and see if he feels the same. You have to take that risk. If he doesn't feel the same, so what? You move on, and get rid of those 'what ifs'. And if does, then it's happy days.
    Haha, I'm so scared!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.