Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone studying/ or have studied The Great Gatsby for AS?
    Basically my teacher is really sick, and she has taken so many days off school since January, and she says she's going to do Easter revision classes- but it's not like I'm doing 3 other subjects or anything...:mad:
    I understand she's ill but can anyone help me of revision sites or key techniques for the exam please; I know the exam is really going to fxck me over!
    I'd appreciate it so much!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Gatsby - so I can help (it helps me too xD) - SPOILERS AHEAD:

You're going to need to focus on the major characters and their personalities and how that affects the play:

Sparknotes is pretty good: http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/gatsby/canalysis.html

Google has loads of resources:
    https://www.msu.edu/~millettf/gatsby.html
    http://www.gradesaver.com/the-great-gatsby/

You really, really, need to be aware of historical context - ie, "The Roaring Twenties (1920's)". You'll probably need to focus on bootlegging (the illegal sale of alcohol), since that crops up in the book and will affect reader's perceptions of Gatsby as he earns his great fortune through less honest means.

Social hierarchy will also come into play here, so look at the disparity between the social classes. Chapter 3 is really good because it underlines the superficial nature of the upper-class guests at Gatsby's party. Relate it to the end of the book where nobody came to gatsby's funeral.

Honestly, what my class did was we'd answer questions on every chapter for the Section A question of the exam paper. So it'd go like this:

a) How does Fitzgerald tell the story in chapter 9? - here you need to focus on form, structure and language. (AO2)

b) Is Gatsby worthy of his 'great' title? - this would be the other AO's, so you'd need to look at context, critical analysis - so that'd cover feminism, Marxism etc - both are REALLY good in this book since you can comment on both pretty easily.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh. I hated this book at AS but once the exams were over I read it again and learned to love it!
    One of the best ways to study for Gatsby is to LIST.

- Themes such as RELATIONSHIPS, USE OF COLOUR, SOCIAL CLASS etc and under each heading write a few key quotations which will help you memorise them. I done this on 'revision cards' (glorified cut up paper but honestly an amazing idea).
    - Write up summaries so the context of TGG - Roaring 20s, jazz age, conspicuous consumption etc.
    - Key critique... So what would a feminist think of certain parts.. its always best to have quotes which are versatile to most themes/critique so you can answer it in full. Remember, quality NOT quantity of quotes.
    - Characters. What importance do they have? KEY QUOTES

You get my drift. It is unfortunate that your teacher is not there, but independent is good for you!
    Good luck with it & enjoy it! Honestly, I'd give anything to go back to AS :P

ReputationRep:
    heyy i sat it last june got some pretty good revision notes that I made - I got an A in the exam if you are wondering
    Some of the fonts probably wont work but let me know if these are a help!
    I absolutely LOVED studying gatsby btw, one of my all time favourite texts, once you get into it it's amazing!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc The Great Gatsby Revision - Quotes, Critics + Themes.doc (63.5 KB, 6823 views)

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much guys, incredibly helpful sources!
    do you know of any typical exam style questions that might crop up, that I could work on?

Thank you again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Been_22)
    heyy i sat it last june got some pretty good revision notes that I made - I got an A in the exam if you are wondering
    I absolutely LOVED studying gatsby btw, one of my all time favourite texts, once you get into it it's amazing!
    These are amazing, thank you so much! You've made my life SO much easier.
    Have you got any notes for enduring love/tennyson/ or auden poems!

Thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for those revision notes!

ReputationRep:
    wow, that is actually incredible, thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    You are a legend, you have literally given me so much help a week before my exam thankyou

Don't want to be greedy but I don't suppose you studied William Wordsworth poems at AS and have any notes on them do you? lol x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max94)
    You are a legend, you have literally given me so much help a week before my exam thankyou

Don't want to be greedy but I don't suppose you studied William Wordsworth poems at AS and have any notes on them do you? lol x
    You're welcome Glad to see i've been of help to lots of people!

Unfortunately I didn't study Wordsworth at AS i only did gatsby and robert frost! Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    You saved my life! :d:d:d:d

(Original post by been_22)
    heyy i sat it last june got some pretty good revision notes that i made - i got an a in the exam if you are wondering
    some of the fonts probably wont work but let me know if these are a help!
    I absolutely loved studying gatsby btw, one of my all time favourite texts, once you get into it it's amazing!

ReputationRep:
    Those Gatsby revision notes are brilliant!
    do you have the robert frost ones in a similar form too?

ReputationRep:
    These are absolutely incredible! I have a mock this week and I have no idea how to revise but this is a great starting point, thank you so much! (:

ReputationRep:
    What structure did you use for the exam? I'm confused on how to actually structure my essays for each question.

Great notes by the way )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.Mundane)
    What structure did you use for the exam? I'm confused on how to actually structure my essays for each question.

Great notes by the way )
    If it were me I would stay with Character and probably focus on Gatsby, Daisy and Tom Buchannan. There will be a question on character so it is a matter of fully understanding the characters and how they interact. Don't try to guess the question, make sure you know your characters.

As far as resources go, may I suggest F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby by Kathleen Parkinson. You can get it on Amazon as well as Kindle and iTunes. On iTunes it is under £10:00 It is quite an astonishing book whose detail is mind boggling. It is brilliantly put together and discusses everything of importance in the novel....and much you may not have thought of.

ReputationRep:
    what exam board are you on? I'm on aqa and I know for the odd numbered question its important to focus mainly on setting, voice, and structure, whilst working language and character into these paragraphs to support your points. I've found that this is a pretty good website to use: poetry.rapgenius.com/F-scott-fitzgerald-the-great-gatsby-chapter-iii-annotated#note=1043358 and if I remember right theres all of the other chapters in there too. Plus, theres an awful lot of stuff online, I usually look through loads of different websites and just pick bits I need to use!
    If you're struggling with structure, I've been taught to do the PEE paragraphs with a clear topic sentence at the beginning of each paragraph, and at the end, link it to other aspects of the novel.
    Hope this helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesg2)
    If it were me I would stay with Character and probably focus on Gatsby, Daisy and Tom Buchannan. There will be a question on character so it is a matter of fully understanding the characters and how they interact. Don't try to guess the question, make sure you know your characters.

As far as resources go, may I suggest F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby by Kathleen Parkinson. You can get it on Amazon as well as Kindle and iTunes. On iTunes it is under £10:00 It is quite an astonishing book whose detail is mind boggling. It is brilliantly put together and discusses everything of importance in the novel....and much you may not have thought of.
    But what about structuring an answer? I'm told for the odd question to focus on voice, setting, time and sequence, language and genre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.Mundane)
    But what about structuring an answer? I'm told for the odd question to focus on voice, setting, time and sequence, language and genre.
    I am going to need to think about this. I had not been aware of the specificity of these types of questions. Can you give me an example of such a question?

ReputationRep:
    http://scoopsheets.com/literature/gr...by-scoopsheet/ This is a great summary of the novel!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren12345)
    http://scoopsheets.com/literature/gr...by-scoopsheet/ This is a great summary of the novel!
    Lauren,

With all due respect, it is not a great summary. If you are looking for high grades and are wanting to treat the novel seriously then F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby by Kathleen Parkinson is the best on the market. The quality of research and the detail is well beyond the norm.

Your suggestion is fine as an initial point to enter the novel, but the kind of detail you would need to impress a marker and gain the kind of grades you want is not there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 9, 2018

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.