Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Great Gatsby revision help?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesg2)
    Lauren,

With all due respect, it is not a great summary. If you are looking for high grades and are wanting to treat the novel seriously then F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby by Kathleen Parkinson is the best on the market. The quality of research and the detail is well beyond the norm.

Your suggestion is fine as an initial point to enter the novel, but the kind of detail you would need to impress a marker and gain the kind of grades you want is not there.
    It provides an overview of the book in an easily digestible manner- that for me would qualify as a 'good summary'. Kathleen Parkinson's book is 144 pages long, 143 pages longer than the scoopsheets link- how very astute of you to point out that it is probably more informative. That book hardly qualifies as a 'summary', it's only forty pages shorter than the actual novel.

For a quick overview of the book and as a means of understanding the general plot and characters, the scoopsheets file is adequate- I would hope that no one would be foolish enough to base their entire revision around it.

ReputationRep:
    All I have been able to see is one sheet - if there are more then clearly I have not found them.

I accept we are going to disagree - which is no bad thing: it allows fellow members to see differing views.

I will accept the sheet might qualify as an inroad into the novel but it would not qualify - in my mind - as a good summary. For me the advantage of Kathleen Parkinson's book is not its size but the quality of the ideas therein. Anyone who has closely read the novel will find in her ideas - which are page referenced back to the novel - stimulating and a veritable goldmine for students to thereafter develop into their own notes. And that is the advantage of the book for me. Kathleen generates all sorts of ideas that the student can take on board and further develop for themselves. Motif's like the green light - which is cursorily described in the sheet - is thoughtfully developed in this book.

I am not advocating that everyone should go out and buy it, but I am saying if fellow students are looking for a serious book that deals with the novel in depth then they may want to look at this title.

ReputationRep:
    Can you email me this so I can print it off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Been_22)
    heyy i sat it last june got some pretty good revision notes that I made - I got an A in the exam if you are wondering
    Some of the fonts probably wont work but let me know if these are a help!
    I absolutely LOVED studying gatsby btw, one of my all time favourite texts, once you get into it it's amazing!
    Would you be able to email me this? It's so good and I'd love to be able to print it off

ReputationRep:
    This is amazing thank you so much!!!

heyy i sat it last june got some pretty good revision notes that I made - I got an A in the exam if you are wondering
    I absolutely LOVED studying gatsby btw, one of my all time favourite texts, once you get into it it's amazing!

ReputationRep:
    OMG YOU'RE A BLOODY LIFE SAVER!
    I'm sitting my exam in 2019 so do you think this is ok for that?
    Also, we have to link everything to love but you haven't mentioned love.
    In your exam, did you get a question on love?
    THANK YOU B!

ReputationRep:
    Some info

Literary Devices in the Great Gatsby

Google link

Check images and videos (specific ones soon)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...gCA&gws_rd=ssl
    Language Structure and Form

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=la...&bih=482&dpr=2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charece)
    Is anyone studying/ or have studied The Great Gatsby for AS?
    Basically my teacher is really sick, and she has taken so many days off school since January, and she says she's going to do Easter revision classes- but it's not like I'm doing 3 other subjects or anything...:mad:
    I understand she's ill but can anyone help me of revision sites or key techniques for the exam please; I know the exam is really going to fxck me over!
    I'd appreciate it so much!
    The great gatsby you can nail it just as long as you put ur mind to it,I would advice you buy and read the actually book 2-3 times and also buy a York notes gatsby revision guide it helps so much , if you work each heading like characters, themes, structure,context,Critics each chapter individually and DO PAST QUESTIONS!!

ReputationRep:
    Diananyasha has given the best advice - from my point of view. I admire those members who offer their notes in an attempt to encourage and help a fellow student. However - with the best will in the world - what is received is that student's understanding of the work. I intend no disparagement with that comment. But what you might consider to be important and worth commenting on, may not necessarily be the same as a fellow student.

To understand a work nothing beats a serious study of the work - and short circuits like accessing another members's notes - is not the same as a close reading of the text..

May I suggest Kathleen Parkinson's Penguin Critical Study of the book.It reads like the person has seriously studied the book. There are more advanced criticism texts, but - in my mind for its price - this is the best on the market.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 9, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.