This discussion is closed.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by chrisbphd)
How silly.
What's silly is trying to use the site during busy periods.
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Thatcher herself reckons the success of Thatcherism is evident to see in New Labour. Blair is a huge admirer of Thatcher. Not all that preposterous.

I'm not pretending a government who increases taxation believes in the free market, it's just good old Gordon is a bit Old Labour anyway. Plus the tax increase is supposed to fund the spending on schools and hospitals and balance the budget, leaving interest rates to manipulate the economy instead of fiscal policy.

I don't see the Robin-Hood-ness of the fees bill. Not that I know much about it but isn't it another demonstration that New Labour is a right-wing free market party?
All of which begs the question... why did this "right wing" New Labour government struggle to get through a Bill which, by it's very creation, would have caused further rifts in an already multi-tiered UK university system? Isn't a multi-tiered world were unequal people get unequal opportunities and rewards the very essence of what it is to be right of centre?

For Robin Hood Ness, see the fact middle class students will have to pay more than poor students, and the poor students will receive bursaries and grants. I accept that universities need more money. But why should someone from a poorer background pay less than me for the same end result? In my opinion and I'm not expert, poor people should leave university with the same, or a higher debt than me. We can both then pay off these debts when we start making money.

And why, in the right, and bright New Labour picture you paint is, and I quote, 'Old Labour' Gordon the very person who to all intents and purposes got this Bill through when it came to the crunch?

Lastly, you seem to justify the tax increases and economically sensible given the rise in government spending our mate Gordon has planned. Where as someone right of centre would say what would have been sensible, was to keep government spending where it was.

It's all going horrible wrong for this government.

Dude I'm not having a go. Don't take anything I say personally. You are an intelligent bloke, and I enjoy reading what you have to say in this thread and others.
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
What's silly is trying to use the site during busy periods.
I think some sort of segregation on the basis of post count is futile -such exclusion would completely undermine the point a 'forum'. I hate the imaginary hierachy that seems to have been created here - some of the most active members contribute least in the maintaining of an interesting environment here.

Ben
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ollie)
yes vb3 is very easily modified, but as far as i know the only hack is to stop mods getting the messages!
But in all seriousness, as it stands, this site is totally unusable during peak time. Something really should be done. You are a mod. What do YOU suggest?
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
But in all seriousness, as it stands, this site is totally unusable during peak time. Something really should be done. You are a mod. What do YOU suggest?
d pays for this out of his pocket so i think we ask enough of him as it is. i am afraid the reality is that the site is in danger of becoming a victim of its own success.

vb3 might help a bit. apart from that, it would help if ppl didnt hit refresh all the time

i think giving unregs the server busy message first with a regster and get priority message would be good
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
People seem to forget that each server upgrade costs money and unfortunately that money doesn't just drop out of the sky. :rolleyes:
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ben.S.)
I think some sort of segregation on the basis of post count is futile -such exclusion would completely undermine the point a 'forum'. I hate the imaginary hierachy that seems to have been created here - some of the most active members contribute least in the maintaining of an interesting environment here.

Ben
Regardless of personal thoughts regards a hierachy (I far prefered the forum when I joined in June/July 2003, was smaller and friendlier) the site is grinding to a standstill. I like the site despite it's failings; it does have more of a community than most of the internet. But using the site is increasingly like getting blood from a stone and I (like others) can't really afford to waste huge swathes of time attempting to post and read messages.
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
yes vb3 is very easily modified, but as far as i know the only hack is to stop mods getting the messages!
My point being it would be easy to create a new hack...

Of course, the real problem is the lack of serving power, but as rahayden points out, that requires monetary input...

Alaric.
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ollie)
I am afraid the reality is that the site is in danger of becoming a victim of its own success.
So maybe doing something would be worthwhile?
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Regardless of personal thoughts regards a hierachy (I far prefered the forum when I joined in June/July 2003, was smaller and friendlier) the site is grinding to a standstill. I like the site despite it's failings; it does have more of a community than most of the internet. But using the site is increasingly like getting blood from a stone and I (like others) can't really afford to waste huge swathes of time attempting to post and read messages.
You can't afford to search? Simple - don't come on here! After all, you're not paying anything (I acknowledge that you are willing to, though). It is annoying, I agree - but it's only because it's so damn addictive!!!

Ben
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by rahaydenuk)
People seem to forget that each server upgrade costs money and unfortunately that money doesn't just drop out of the sky. :rolleyes:
For christs sake I'm doing economics and don't need to told that and then have :rolleyes: placed to make me look stupid.

And I'm sure you weren't guility of posting your message without refering to my earlier posts in the thread. If you had, you'd have come across this.

(Original post by tednol)
Glad I've started a debate. I'd like things to carry on as they are, except with the reduction of server busy notices. I understand that to do this will require one of the following:

1. Subscription only service.
2. Approved members only service.
3. Stopping 'guests'. But they may just sign up putting us in square one.
4. Buying a bigger server.

Some of the above are impractical in terms of time, and some are impractical in terms of money. However if money was an issue, I'd like to think enough of us care enough about this forum to get some dosh together.
Am I the only person who actually wants this sorted and am not hoping for a god-send to do the sorting? :rolleyes:
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ben.S.)
You can't afford to search? Simple - don't come on here! After all, you're not paying anything (I acknowledge that you are willing to, though). It is annoying, I agree - but it's only because it's so damn addictive!!!

Ben
All I want is to keep the addictiveness and lose the annoyingness. Is that too much to ask?

How much would a server upgrade cost?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (216)
67.92%
No (102)
32.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed