Turn on thread page Beta

Extreme exam nerves, vomiting and really messed up please help watch

ReputationRep:
    folks
    no trolls or nasties.

i am usually slightly ok with exams, the morning of the exam i feel a bit nervous but usually listening to music and sleeping o the bus ride in calm me down

however im taking some major serious exams, they are some of the hardest exams in the world (postgrad professional) and usually take 3-5 years of prep. it is the second time ive retook them, with the third ones coming up this year (you must pass 6 x 3hr papers over 3 days, 6hrs of exam per day for 3 days so like when you arent in an exam you are asleep and you must pass all together)

they are hard, but the worst part which messes me up loads is - the exams are quite far from where i live and given they are very intensive, i have to travel down the day or weekend before and live in a hotel until they are done.

because its just me in a hotel and my books the pre-exam nerves always hit me as soon as i get to the hotel a day before rather than as usual, in the hour before. i usually end up drinking a ton of coffee and vomiting, dihorrea, shaking and cant sleep so i inevitably mess up.

any hints. i pass my mocks fine, but the nerves and lack of sleep get me and i fail. its staying in the hotel that gets my nerves going much sooner and i **** myself.

what do i do.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if you travel down a few days earlier and stay longer in the hotel you'll get used to it by the time you take the exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    because its just me in a hotel and my books the pre-exam nerves always hit me as soon as i get to the hotel a day before rather than as usual, in the hour before. i usually end up drinking a ton of coffee and vomiting, dihorrea, shaking and cant sleep so i inevitably mess up.
    Well to me, it sounds like the change in your environment has resulted in what I assume is a drastic change in behaviour. Well, imo, the solution is to make sure that you go to a hotel with free wifi/internet/whatever and just go on skype and talk to your family/friends/whoever you normally talk to. I think you're just feeling isolated, and you start to over analyse everything when that happens. So you may as well just engage in some light hearted banter/waste time on fb. That way you'll have something that's pre-occupied you from thinking about it. The other alternative is to maybe tape/download a few episodes of your favourite TV show and wait till the night before exam to watch them (don't bring to many so you make sure you sleep :P). That way you'll have something to take your mind off the exam. Either way, you need to find something to pre-occupy yourself with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Maybe if you travel down a few days earlier and stay longer in the hotel you'll get used to it by the time you take the exams.

i was kind of thinking this

i mean, at the moment, i get there the day or night before and am like "SHHHHTTT this is it" get scared, drink loads of coffee, cram, and basiclally panic for 3 days. whereas at home this only happens like an hour before.

im thinking i could go to a nice hotel and take a couple days as holiday before? or will this make me loser concentration

ReputationRep:
    You might also want to cut back on the coffee. It is a strong stimulant, adding to your anxiety, and also very acidic, potentially worsening your nausea.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2014
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.