Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Best foody locations in your town/city/village? watch

ReputationRep:
    Having just moved from the countryside (rural devon) to the city (Edinburgh) in September, I have been really enthusiastic to try out the cafes/shops/delis with really fine produce.

Here you go:

Valvona & Crolla- The oldest Italian deli in Scotland, there is a lovely bakery and cheese counter, lots of fresh pasta, cakes, deli items like torta salata and pizzette, very good wine, oils, vinegars. The imports are very exciting, from the standard pocket coffee and bacietti to the more luxurious varieties of tuscan dark chocolate, violet and raspberry jam. They also sell good coffee, there is a restaurant on the premises.

Peters Yard-a much more modern interior using swedish design beside recipes. Fresh soup and pizzas made everyday, and bread based open sandwiches. Scottish blue cheese and chutney on ryebread, smoked tofu and chilli jam with sprouts on rye bread, onion and ale soup with the most delicious homemade bread. The cakes are amazing. Parsnip cake (like carrot cake, but better!), valhrona chocolate cake, cardamon buns, saffron biscuits. All sorts, it's really good, believe me!

Falko-A german bakery which is in Bruntsfield but happen to also have a stall at the saturday farmers market. The cinnamon swirls are the best I have ever tried, moist with lots of cinnamon and muscovado sugar, soft brioche like pastry. The prezels are also very good, and yeasty. Sometimes warm. A little pricy however.

Patisserie Madeleine-A new find for me, but absolutely amazing! I went yesterday and spent £8! The macaroons are light and crispy, as they should be, and there are many flavours, I bought a violet and a pistacchio. There are other delicious and beautiful treats, served on little gold plaques. I sat in and ate a very cute and pretty fig and creme patisserie 'thing', no idea what is was called. I also took away a pommes caramel tart-apples and salted caramel on an macaroon base. Simply amazing.

Cheasy peasy-There is a van that comes to the meadows every saturday. It's a cheese van. A french guy sells incrediblely good and pungent goats cheese, but also his own macaroons; salted caramel are divine.

ReputationRep:
    My village? The only place where you'll find anything close to food is the communion wafers in the church. And even then, the congregation is so small we no longer have a priest. Shop's gone bust, pub's gone bust. I wanna move to a city :sad:

ReputationRep:
    We got the chippy, pub grub from one pub and over priced crap in the Hotel next door. Did have an Indian in the other pub which was great, so what if they didn't have planning permission and employed illegal immigrants.... I want my Indian back, stfu Northumberland County Council

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.