Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    According to the British Foreign Secretary, today at least 25 people have been killed by security forces in Syria during protests there over te deaths of young protesters a few days ago.

Thousands are in the streets today, so do you think this will continue to pick up momentum and escalate? Or will it die out quickly?

Your thoughts folks.

EDIT:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/0...72N2RZ20110324

Posted by Reuters.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Not sure I think Yemen will be. Though it will just become another failed state

ReputationRep:
    No

Tunisia > Egypt > Libya > Yemen > Bahrain > Saudi Arabia > Syria > North Korea > Iran > China > England

Nostradamus totally predicted it in his prediction book
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    No

Tunisia > Egypt > Libya > Yemen > Bahrain > Saudi Arabia > Syria > North Korea > Iran > China > England

England? But not the UK? Thats ok then

ReputationRep:
    Yemen or Bahrain first.

We should totally start betting on this **** and taking sides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    England? But not the UK? Thats ok then
    Oh.. yeah, the mass public protests and riots that will take place throughout early and mid 2012 in England, starting off in late 2011 (like the student tuition fee riots at the end of 2010) and inspired by the successful middle eastern riots in early 2011

people get fed up of cuts to public spending, job cuts bla bla bla and come out en masse against Cameron and the LibCons

No I'm not from the future, but hey

ReputationRep:
    Syria or Yemen next, followed by Bahrain.

ReputationRep:
    No

Why wouldn't Syria be before Saudi Arabia?

And NK won't fall anytime soon, since everyone there think Kim Jong Ill is the son of God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Syria or Yemen next, followed by Bahrain.
    Your sig is awesome :yes:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12858972

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you mean by 'fall'. I don't think the current regime is going to collapse and I don't think Bashar Al-Assad is going to be removed; there's too much support for him.

Real support that is, not the puppets Gaddafi paid and propped up around his city to wave banners of his diabolical face around.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see Saudi going for many years. First, it's too important strategically as long as oil is the main fuel source to the West. Second, 99.9% of the population is fundamentalist Muslim and quite happy to live under what we would find backward laws on women, dancing, cinemas etc. They don't want a revolution.

Trying to westernise by force generally fails and produces very long lasting unrest. I am not a relativist and I do believe that free enquiry, open justice and customs based on Christianity are much better than Sharia. But try telling that to tens of millions of people prepared to die to prove you wrong.

ReputationRep:
    No

Tunisia > Egypt > Libya > Yemen > Bahrain > Saudi Arabia > Syria > North Korea > USA > China > England

this

ReputationRep:
    I read an article about Bahrain in The Economist which explained the situation very well. As the report stated, Bahrain is home to 5th Biggest(in the world) US Military base...so what that implies, no one, not even nato would intervene the crisis and try to find democracy/good life for Bahrainis .
    Therefore there would be no reports[one or two at least], elaborating the severeness of Bahraini crisis as the government(US) will try to minimise it.
    the main reason is that Obama would not want to engage in another no-fly zone or to betray bahraini king who helped USA to set up their Base in middle east.

(Original post by Alpharius)
    According to the British Foreign Secretary, today at least 25 people have been killed by security forces in Syria during protests there over te deaths of young protesters a few days ago.

Thousands are in the streets today, so do you think this will continue to pick up momentum and escalate? Or will it die out quickly?

Your thoughts folks.

EDIT:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/0...72N2RZ20110324

Posted by Reuters.

ReputationRep:
    Assad got a little shaky during Mubarak's fall, to the point where he also shut down the internet, so I do hope he goes down soon.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.